Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 360 bluetooth earphone?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 360 bluetooth earphone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
greenleas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Garmin 360 bluetooth earphone? Reply with quote

This is going to sound really dumb if I have got it completely wrong!

I find the 360 to be a good unit but the speaker volume is too quiet when I use it in my motorhome. Is there any way of using the bluetooth feature to get the unit to transmit to a bluetooth earphone so that I don't have to have another lead trailing from the GPS to an Ipod type earpiece. I would like to be able to listen to the GPS without the rest of the passengers having to.

One of the reasons for my total ignorance on the bluetooth features is that I have not got round to getting a bluetooth type phone to use with the unit.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bluetooth connectivity is for a mobile phone (it works very well as a hands free kit).
To get the audio louder you could try using an FM modulator, these devices transmit the audio from the device on the FM radio frequency so you can tune the radio to the correct channel and play the sound through the vehicles speakers.
For music at the same time load up some mp3 tracks, this works well on my 310D. Incidently the FM modulators were made legal for use in the UK last Friday, they cost around 30 quid - it doesn't stop everyone listening to the same sound, but at least you could hear it without wearing an earphone (not too sure a wired device is a good idea from a safety view point) - Mike
greenleas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. Any chance of a link to suitable hardware? I think what you suggest would be ideal. Presumably you would hear the instructions overlaid on the MP3/audio book?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you car head unit has an Aux in / MP3 socket, you may be able to make up a lead between the Nuvi's headphone socket and the car stereo to allow the sound to be provided to you via your car stereo, which would allow you greater volume control. Alternatively, as Mike says, you could use the same socket to use an FM modulator to save another wire.

The navigation instructions pause the mp3 / Audible book.
greenleas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Swing, That was one of the options I was thinking about. I know you can get double ended leads from Maplins but I would need to change the head. It's really a question of cost. The existing unit is a tape player/FM radio and the speaker system is appalling. I might think about biting the bullet and installing a CD player/radio with a sound in plug on the front and better speakers for the cab and the passengers in the back. Thanks again Mike
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few links to have a look at, firstly the FM Injection Unit is code number L75AY in addition to this you will need a lead to connect the devices together depending on your installation it will be one of the two listed on THIS Page.
If you want to try an FM Transmitter take a look at THIS Although I should add I am not too sure if it is CE marked so check before you purchase, stupid UK law where they can sell the device but it would be you that would break the law by using it if not suitably tested and marked! - Mike
see-ell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mikealder points out, an FM transmitter is a good solution. I use the iStuff iCast transmitter which is CE approved. A link to it on amazon is here:-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/iStuff-iCast-Universal-FM-Transmitter/dp/B000IHZIV6

I use rechargeable NiMH batteries with mine and these last about 6 hours. I enjoy listening to audiobooks which I store as MP3's on my nuvi.

As swing mentions, navigation instructions pause the MP3 player, however the 'bongs' from POI Speed camera do not. This may not be a problem when listening to music, but I find it irritating when listening to audiobooks. I always seem to be passing camera locations just as the book become interesting Sad
greenleas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your helpfull posts. You have given me some good options regards, Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: