Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio P550 and MioMap 3.2. What they don't tell you
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio P550 and MioMap 3.2. What they don't tell you

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Mio P550 and MioMap 3.2. What they don't tell you Reply with quote

Power Switch.
Unlike the 168 that I already own which has a separate, sunken on/off switch, the 550 uses one of the ‘program’ switches on the front panel, causing it to switch itself on at the lightest touch in the pocket. Mio obviously acknowledge this, by the inclusion of the 5 second ‘auto off’ facility. Unfortunately, when MioMap 3.2 is running, this function does not work so a flat battery soon ensues.

Multi Tasking
When MioMap is loaded you appear not to be able to access the operating system to either start or switch to other programs. It is possible on my Mio 168 running MioMap 3.0 to both start and switch to other already running programs that I usually run concurrently with my nav software such a GPS dash and Traveli (camera detector). The lack of this facility changes the 550 from a high quality multi tasking PPC to a GPS navigation system only, not the pocket PC that I was ‘upgrading’ to.
Had I wanted a nav only device, I would have bought a TomTom or Garmin and continued using my 168 as a PPC.
On a positive note, the GPS receiver is is much better than my 168 and I like the mapping software apart from the aforementioned which I consider to be a seriously limiting shortcoming on a PPC.
Anyone know any different about accessing the OS?
Trevor
wilson843
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Mio 550 Reply with quote

I don't know about the Mio Map software but I run Tomtom on my P550 and the multi tasking works fine. Just press the "Today" key (the one above the on/off switch) and it takes you back to the today screen. From there you can run any other software and then return to Tomtom by tapping the icon at the bottom of the Today screen.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the 550 / Tom Tom Info.
Would be good if MioMap 3.2 worked like that.
Unfortunately MioMap takes all the buttons and joystick for its own use. (The one above the on/off switch tilts the map up.)

my old combination of MioMap 3.0 and Mio 168 leaves the top Start etc. bar showing, and if you reprogram the bottom left and side buttons on the 168, MioMap 3.0 doesn't pinch them back.

Do you have the same problem as me with the on/off switching?

Trevor.
wilson843
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! The on/off switch is ultra sensitive but I use a slip case which protects the screen and prevents inadvertent switching.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it protect the on off switch? And from where did you get it?

Trevor
wilson843
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its the old one from my Ipaq 2210. Having said that, its been in my briefcase today and when I went to use the 550 the battery was flat!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rest my case melord, if you'll pardon the pun.

Trevor
Bluetrack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the same problem with not being able to access other applications while running Miomap 3.2. However, a clever guy "Roscoe" on www.mionav.com has designed a very nice skin that includes the possibility to minimize Miomap and thereby give the opportunity to access other applications.

Just have a look at www.mionav.com and look for journey_data_v1.3.zip. Works like a charm, so give it a try.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that.
Actually I sent my 550 back as unfit for purpose and got a full refund.
I have subsequently bought a Mio 710, Although it has the same problem with not being able to minimise MioMap, it does have TMC.
I like the MioMap software, and will give the link that you sent me a good look at, as there is at least one other program that I would like to run at the same time. This depends of course on whether GPSGate will run on the 500 OS. I will have to check this out as well.

Just had a look at your link. After a bit of a false start trying to find it, now found it. Seems to be a lot of good stuff that wil take a bit of absorbing.
Now made a favorites so that I can return easily.

I'll post my findings back here.

Thanks for your input.

Trevor

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: