Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, I can understand the frustration, but the UK is plauged by poor radio signal strength in comparison to the rest of Europe (I have mentioned this fact previously in the thread)
tez wrote:
They might get it right by ver 20.900.000.
This looks like a hardware version number for the TMC receiver, the software versions normally look like 6,15 or even 6,52

tez wrote:
I can't wait until car connect hits the streets as I need this now that tomtom have turned the volume down on the current version.
You can still connect the 910 to the car deck via the mount (the 910 is supplied with a 3,5MM stereo lead that will connect to some car decks equipped with an aux input, if not you could look at connecting the 910 to an FM Injection unit from Maplins L75AY - I use one with my 910 (or other PNA/ PDA devices) to route the audio through the car deck - Mike
tez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What tomtom need to do in the UK market now is give everybody with a TMC receiver 2 years free tomtom traffic?

To make up for the fact that we are helping to sort this out “just think two ways for it not to work”

Terry
CombeMarshal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, After reading all this GPRS is definitely the way to go!
linxeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looks as if it is some kind of signal problem to me. Just been to Bristol (Cribbs Causeway, Ikea etc) M4/M32/M5 - and the thing tracked Classic FM (101.4?) all the way in Bristol and back to Gloucester. Just as I got to Cheltenham I lost the signal and that was it - no more signal.

ClassicFM is fairly strong here, but obviously not strong enough. Getting very very tempted to open up the receiver now Smile
coastersteve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I wonder when this new firmware is going to be posted........ Sad
hmandco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Returned my TMC receiver to Easy Devices having failed to make it operate in any usefull way. (see previous posts) They have replied saying it has been tested and is working. I have replied that it does not recieve Traffic Information and is therefore "not fit for purpose" They offer a refund minus 20% restocking fee. I have challenged this saying such a fee would only be appropriate if the unit was correct.
I await their reply.
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a feeling this would be the case - tomtom need to resolve this, you can't really blame the resellers.
hmandco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree it is not the resellers fault. However it is surely not my fault either. I can only bounce it back to my suppliers so that they can go back to their supplier Tom Tom. I am happy to get my money back, but not happy to give them a 20% profit on something which dosent work. We have both been inconvienienced.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In law the retailer has the contract with you - and if the goods aren't fit for purpose its the retailer that has to give you your money back without any loss. You could try quoting the Sales of Goods Act to them.
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree - i'm in the same position.

i guess from the resellers perpective, the device is not faulty, just inherently crap.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose really you have got to be reasonable and allow Tomtom time to come up with the new firmware as they say they are going to fix the problem.
linxeh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom also said you would get a free map update with my 700 (voucher included), but then failed to produce any such update before the voucher expired.

WRT RDS-TMC - when I'm in a very strong ClassicFM signal area the thing seems to work (at least some of the time) - the rest of the time it seems to spend some time on each channel until it decides it is no good then moves to the next. I'm not sure how well a firmware update will work if it is purely down to signal level Sad
hmandco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the point of searching for and locking onto all the other channels anyway? Only classic FM carries the traffic data. As it stands if any other channel happens to be stronger than Classic FM then you get no info.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

linxeh wrote:
TomTom also said you would get a free map update with my 700 (voucher included), but then failed to produce any such update before the voucher expired.

AFAIK, TomTom have said they will honour all the map vouchers 'til the end of the year.
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the most annoying thing about the tmc is that occaisionaly (twice in 2 months), it has worked brilliantly.

yesterday, on the way home from work, it picked up the signal almost immediately, held it for an hour, re-routed me around the hell called the M6.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: