Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Hats off to Garmin!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Hats off to Garmin!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
terrysunderland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Hats off to Garmin! Reply with quote

Bought my i3 9 months ago (on Ebay). Then, a few weeks ago, the plastic "leaves" on the mounting socket began to fail. Eventually, it would not stay on the windscreen mount.
I phoned Garmin, then posted it off to them on Friday. This afternoon (3 working days later) a brand new i3 arrived! NB version 8 mapping, as on my old one. Still, I am a Happy Bunny, and a loyal fan of Garmin!

Cheers and Beers.

Terry in Sunderland.
swanson2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Good Old Garmin Reply with quote

Hi terrysunderland,

This is comforting news for all of us Garmin owners.

They seem to be one of the better GPS companies as far as their products and aftersales service is concerned.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

:D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I too have this problem, but mine is just over the year old Sad

Still, can but hope I contacted Garmin today and I await their reply!! Rolling Eyes

Colin
terrysunderland
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: i3 mount Reply with quote

I suppose that a last-ditch solution might be to super-glue the unit to the mount in the optimum position.
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Old Garmin Reply with quote

swanson2 wrote:
Hi terrysunderland,

This is comforting news for all of us Garmin owners.

They seem to be one of the better GPS companies as far as their products and aftersales service is concerned.

Regards,

Robert Swanson

:D
It seems that you'd get much better service from US companies (in my experience) than their European counterparts. May be due to the fact that consumer power is much more influential there..
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D :D 8) :D :D
Garnin replied and the sent me a RMA number saying there would be no charge 8O

So it's done

Colin

I do hope they look after "Mavis", she's like one of the family
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O 8O :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Wowwwwwwww got Mavis back today, except it's not Mavis it's a brand shiny new i3 8)
Lost all my favorites (shame never mind)
V 8 maps (same card as I sent, so no change there)
V 3.2 software laded, I had stuck with 2.7 so I'll reserve my opinion on that one, but at least they loaded it so it should be right.

It does bring into question though my serial number change for my unlock key for CN v8, I may email garmin to check that out

But hey what service! 4 days turnaround & no charge on an out of warranty unit 8O

:D THANKS GARMIN :D
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

707 wrote:
what service! 4 days turnaround & no charge on an out of warranty unit 8O :D THANKS GARMIN :D

Technically it is out of warranty but the warranty is in addition to your statutory rights they still have to produce goods which are "reasonably durable". You could have argued that it shouldn't have broken that quickly.

What it comes down to is that they are probably legally obliged to fix the unit anyway and I guess that they have a (relatively) high failure rate on these units. Rather than arguing the point over a broken part worth a few quid and antagonising their customers, they are doing a no-quibble swap out to protect their reputation. 8)

No nonsense about "did you buy this (at an inflated price) from an official Garmin UK dealer" either. Brought it on ebay? No problem.

And how much is a satisfied customer worth in a highly competitive sat nav market? Priceless?
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Shame other can't do the same.. Reply with quote

Shame the same can't be said for some laptop companies! Bought an Acer laptop fifteen months ago and two mounts of four that hold the processor in have broken on the motherboard. Rang them - tough -out of warrantly - should have taken advantage of our expensive three year additional warranty when you bought it.
Would you call a laptop terminal after 15 months? Acer do....
69diver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at this link to Consumer direct re your rights http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/your-rights/fs_c04.shtml

Pretty sure you may have something on your side here, as I believe there is now guidance that electrical goods should be fit for purpose and that the duration of this purpose is 5/6 years. There is something about diminishing returns due to the use you have had, but worth a go!
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

69diver wrote:
Pretty sure you may have something on your side here, as I believe there is now guidance that electrical goods should be fit for purpose and that the duration of this purpose is 5/6 years. There is something about diminishing returns due to the use you have had, but worth a go!

I'm inclined to agree. Don't let them get away with it - send the company a strongly worded letter quoting the Sale of Goods Act, quoting advice from Trading Standards and threatening legal action if they don't make a deal with you. That's presuming you brought the laptop directly from Acer. If not then you have to go to the retailer and ask them to sort the problem out.

As for the durability of the goods, this is not fixed in law but common sense applies. It's not unreasonable to expect a laptop to last more than a month past the end of it's warranty period...

A significant exception is if the laptop has been damaged or abused in any way (not suggesting that yours has!) in which case the owner would be expected to pay for the repair.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I was told when I rang that I would have to write or fax a letter to their escalations dept which I did. I asked for a speedy reply as I want a laptop over Xmas but they, as of yet, not come back to me! The laptop has been my desktop replacement so has not been abused or dropped. The technician in my local repair shop thinks that the mounts were tightened down too much and the processor vibration has just sheered them off. He got told tough as well when he rang them! Apparently, as it's after six months, I have to prove that the item was faulty when I bought it. Up until the six months, they have to prove that it was alright. Difficult for me to prove that!
Thought they had a good reputation but changed my mind.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dougproctor wrote:
Apparently, as it's after six months, I have to prove that the item was faulty when I bought it.

You do have additional rights if the item is under 6 months old but don't let that muddy the waters.

The law says that the goods must be "reasonably durable". It may not have been faulty when you brought it, but that isn't really relevant. The basis of your case is that the laptop was not reasonably durable.

If they offer a 1 year (or optional 3 year) warranty on the item then you would expect that it would last for longer than 13 months. If they start talking about the warranty then remind them that "any warranty offered by ACER or the retailer is in addition to my statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act and other consumer law".

Good luck!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the late 1990s I bought a brand new Garmin GPS 12XL hand held GPS receiver from a shop in Jersey. The 12XL worked well for a couple of years until the LCD screen went wrong as if the 12XL had been dropped into water.

Some time after I noticed that the 12XL’s display had gone wrong I attended a Land Rover show where Garmin had a stand. I spoke to the people on the stand and they said it was a know problem with the 12XL units and that I should send it back to Garmin HQ.

When I got home I contacted Garmin and got an RMA from them. I sent the 12XL in a jiffy bad and about four days later I received a brand new 12XL unit (with the latest software) in a sealed box. I would have no problem recommending Garmin for their customer support and fixing of hardware faults.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy said
Quote:
And how much is a satisfied customer worth in a highly competitive sat nav market? Priceless?

Quote:
But hey what service! 4 days turnaround & no charge on an out of warranty unit

THANKS GARMIN

Quote:
When I got home I contacted Garmin and got an RMA from them. I sent the 12XL in a jiffy bad and about four days later I received a brand new 12XL unit (with the latest software) in a sealed box. I would have no problem recommending Garmin for their customer support and fixing of hardware faults.

The quotes say it all, and you don't have to dig deep in other posts to find similar storys

I'd recommend Garmin anytime :D :D :D :D :D :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: