Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Patch due
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Patch due
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yeah I think we are all still here viewing this forum - but not always responding to posts!!

For me I must admit I was waiting to hear what changes are in the new patch and let other people try it out first.

Apart from the TTS issue i.e it never works - I dont have any other issues with Copilot so probably wont be applying this patch due to some bad experiences others have had.

Still dissappointed that the live traffic is still not available apart from those users that had it bundled on their T-Mobile phones - thats what I'm really waiting for and have been ever sine the announcement for v4 or was it v5?

Matt
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still testing - the application is still not 100% (nowhere near!), but on balance, providing I don't find anything worse than before - in my opinion, the distinction between favourites and recent destinations will make this a patch to install, and move CoPilot significantly towards being a leading application.

If only they could get the routing sorted out; and the POI handling; and the safety camera processing!

But if I am honest, when I want to follow a particular route, and it is not the route generated - CoPilot is far easier to use than TomTom 5. The only question is how TomTom 6 compares. Because as soon as I am able to test a copy of TomTom 6, I will try it out, and will then decide if I want to buy it. I will certainly think long an hard before I commit to a future version of CoPilot - the patches are simply far too infrequent, and fix far too little.
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
The only question is how TomTom 6 compares. Because as soon as I am able to test a copy of TomTom 6, I will try it out, and will then decide if I want to buy it. I will certainly think long an hard before I commit to a future version of CoPilot - the patches are simply far too infrequent, and fix far too little.

You raise some good points and to be honest aside from the ingrequent patches, cost is also a factor.

When Copilot v7 is released probably cost £100 for the new version and new maps, if I was to switch to TomTom that would probably cost me (guessing) £200-£300 - so for me I would have to consider whether TomTom offers upto £200 worth of extra functionality and enhancements to justify it.

I am happy with Copilot but they seem to be losing ground by not supporting their products by realeasing patches/updates when issues are found, instead they go down the route of releasing an enhanced version at a cost.

Matt
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt

I know how you feel. As for me, I only require UK maps, so the upgrade from v5 to v6 direct from ALK was £50. From what I can see, you should be able to get TomTom (UK maps) for under £100. While neither is an inconsequential amount, I think ALK need to recognise that as prices (continue to) drop, their customers will be more likely to change products if a significantly better one is available.

To be fair to ALK, there have been significant enhancements to the UK version of CoPilot 6 since it was initially relesed - the addition of dedicated Safety Camera processing, and the latest Favourites/Recent destination handling.

I will be travelling over the next few days, so should be able to test out the new patch 'on the road'
tyro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked Support by email if they would list the changes made by the newest patch: their reply was
"Thank you for contacting CoPilot Technical Support.
With regards to your email, the patch will resolve certain issues, particulary the TTS (Text to Speech) inconsistency."

I don't know why that are so coy about it-they must have a record and why they can't share it is a mystery.
All of this just adds justification to the comments made above
editpo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: new patch Reply with quote

I tested it on a long journey yesterday. Cant say I noticed much difference on the road. Seemed quicker to load an input destinations etc. I removed an reinstalled speed cameras. . I am using the icons someone on this forum provided. They are all there when in 3d mode but you cant always see them in driver safety mode and I have noticed that you only see the icons at certain magnifications of map.
Another thing is the amount of times you get a camera warning. The most I had yesterday was eight times for one camera even though there was only 1 icon... and yes i did remove all the ao files before loading.

As mentioned on another post I still get a camera warning as i drive into my drive in a small cul de sac!
nivek22
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: new patch Reply with quote

It seems to be warning of cameras within a certain distance of your location, even if they aren't 'on route'.

editpo wrote:
Another thing is the amount of times you get a camera warning. The most I had yesterday was eight times for one camera even though there was only 1 icon...

I think that the multiple warnings are when zig zagging towards a camera and temporarily moving slightly away from it.

I've tried changing the SafetyCamera path width in the preferences file, but it keeps getting reset.

This is definately a step backwards - ALK please get your act together :x
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: safety cams Reply with quote

editpo wrote:
as far as i can tell we no longer have icons for safety cameras whatever system you use..
Can anyone else confirm?

While I stated that I was infact seeing the safety cameras, it turned out to be only when I was running in demo mode. Like you, they were not deing displayed when driving (the important bit!).

So I did a bit of investigation:
I was using 16colour camera bitmaps because the 256 didn't show - so I wondered if ALK had fixed the problem and not told anyone about it. They have!. Now we need the 256 colour bitmaps (still renamed to start with safetycamera_ of course) - the 16 bit bitmaps no longer work.

Fortunately, the demo mode displays the 256 colour ones too.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just had a reply from ALK about the problem with the routing profiles not having been fixed.

I was able to provide detailed instructions on how to demonstrate the bug - which they have re-created, and accepted that it is wrong. It has been passed back to the developers to fix.

But, whether this will be in CP6 or 7, who knows; we must surely be getting to the point where a new version is due?

A year has gone by, and they still haven't got version 6 fully sorted - I am starting to wonder if there will be a version 7, or, even an ALK if this continues much longer. Even I, a Copilot fan, am considering a change to TomTom 6! I am just not prepared to wait so long between fixes. When will they realise that it is better to issue patches which address just a few issues (so can be withdrawn if there are problems) than issue significant upgrades, along with fixes and unfortunately inevitable additional bugs, leaving us to make us decide if the benefits are worth the pain.

I find it totally unacceptable, that a year after release, that the downloadable instruction manual doesn't even correctly represent the product as released, let alone the significant changes made since then.

I really am begining to wonder if the reducing activity in the CoPilot forums is due to existing CoPilot users having decided to move to amother application, with too few new users to replace them.
Bazzer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil01 said..

Quote:
I really am begining to wonder if the reducing activity in the CoPilot forums is due to existing CoPilot users having decided to move to amother application, with too few new users to replace them.

Since I ditched CoPilot for TomTom some time ago, I still check the CoPilot board to see whats happening.

I must admit that it does appear to be a much less active board than it used to be, and I can only draw the same conclusion as Neil.

Or maybe CoPilot users are just resigned to the fact that the situation is just not going to improve.

While no navigation system is perfect, I have not read anything on the CoPilot board that may make me consider moving back Crying or Very sad

Baz
Garmin Montana 650
Garmin Oregon 45oT
Garmin Edge 1000
Tracklogs Digital Mapping
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:

Well, I fit that category. I haven't used CoPilot for months, finding other applications much more fit for purpose

Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still lurk around here every now and again, I still use CP5, good enough for me, never fails. Can't believe people paid good money for CP5, a bug fix that still isn't bug free.

I hear CP7 is out soon, more money for a bug fix to CP6.

ALK are cr@p and i still haven't had the promised return call from Dave Burrows.

If and when a time comes for an upgrade I'm off to Garmin

Ring me anytime Dave.................................................

GB
GrimBeard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant CP6, but of course you can't edit posts here can you!!
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a look to day loks like there a new patch date ovember 2006 might be worth a look

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alix776 wrote:
had a look to day loks like there a new patch date ovember 2006 might be worth a look

Unfortunately this is the patch Tyro referred to a couple of weeks ago earlier in this thread, and the subject of the majority of posts here since.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: