Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic congestion services
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic congestion services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Traffic congestion services Reply with quote

Hi

Getting a TomTom V2. Whats the conclusion you people have made now?

there are 2 traffic update things arent there?
TMC and TomTom Plus ( i think)

whats the best? if the PLUS service uses your mobile to dial out, then that might be more costly

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS TMC unit only works with the TomTom Go-x10 range of units, so your option is limitted to the Plus service and GPRS over the mobile phone, if you get a bolt on service from your mobile phone provider it shouldn't be too costly, but GPRS without the bolt on can cost serious money - Mike
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike

whats the GO X10 range? ive got a tomtom one GB and Tomtom go 510 on the way (stupid bids on ebay.. Laughing Out Loud) will keep one of them ;)

which traffic service works out cheaper? if theres not much in it, then which is the better one?

cheers
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Go-x10 range is any of the tomTom range that end in 10 i.e the 510, 710 or 910 - the TMC receiver will work with any of these devices.

Reception in the UK is somewhat patchy when using the RDS-TMC device, but the running costs are considerably cheaper.

The actual data transmitted by either the GPRS service or the RDS-TMC is from the same source, however RDS-TMC is more localised, in practice this is not a problem though as you will be in range of new data as you travel up or down the country, I find the RDS-TMC unit will display large sections of the country (at least a few hundred miles around your position) but the GPRS service displays full country wide data.

The GPRS connection is more reliable but it costs considerably more when you take into account the subscription and GPRS traffic tariff your mobile phone supplier will impose over the products life span - Mike
trevor.dowle
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The RDS TMC unit only works with the TomTom Go-x10 range of units, so your option is limitted to the Plus service and GPRS over the mobile phone, if you get a bolt on service from your mobile phone provider it shouldn't be too costly, but GPRS without the bolt on can cost serious money - Mike

With Orange PAYG and getting GPRS traffic updates every 15 minutes, I reckon it costs approx 10p per hour (2.5p per update). It seems to be pretty accurate in my area, so its quite competitive compared to TMC, which seems to have quite patchy coverage at the moment.

Trev Dowle
TomTom 730 T
davidbeaty
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic congestion services Reply with quote

shiwarrior wrote:
Hi

whats the best? if the PLUS service uses your mobile to dial out, then that might be more costly

I have the TomTom Traffic updates set to 20 mins and its costs between 2-3p per update. Orange PAYG have a thing where if you top up with £10 or more credit per month you get 1Mb of data on GPRS which more than covers my TomTom Traffic.

I have found, however, that although it correctly identifies a traffic incident, the estimated time delay shown can often be way out.
pocket GPS camera POI + real voice warnings
CombeMarshal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use T-Mobile and the GPRS updates, £7.50 a month unlimited downloads!
And it can accept more messges than the TMC version
plus that makes all the weather ect free too!
gotom
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The T-Mobile web 'n' walk service at £7.50pm for 'unlimited' internet is the best value UK GPRS/3G connection that you can use for TomTom Traffic and all the other plus service downloads. I have a T-Mobile MDA Pro phone on a web 'n' walk tariff and it works great with my GO910.
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to connect to my phone now to "set-up" and its not working, it gets most of the way there, i guess my Nokia N70 doesent have GPRS (i thought it did, going to look on Nokia site)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to contact your mobile phone service provider and get them to enable gprs on the device, as a simple test can you view this web site via the phone, if so your gprs is enabled - Mike
shiwarrior
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You need to contact your mobile phone service provider and get them to enable gprs on the device, as a simple test can you view this web site via the phone, if so your gprs is enabled - Mike

i can browse websites fine, i guess its using WAP?

yeah i'll give them a bell and ask Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: