Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Camera Direction Data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Camera Direction Data
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Camera Direction Data Reply with quote

The latest Mio GPS units can display camera direction, so that you are not wrongly alerted by a camera on the opposite carriageway. Up to now this only works with the camera data supplied by Mio which is very much out of date compared to the excellent Wink database available here.
If we can give a lead by providing and using the direction data, it must be taken up by the other manufacturers.
I have just completed a modification to the import program that builds a speedcam file for the Mio devices from the PGPSW database. If the directional information can be added to the PGPSW database then the program will make use of it.
I appreciate that the direction data is not available for all the cameras, and is not relevant for many, but if it was added to the file where known this would be a trigger for those of us using it to report other directional cameras for updating.
The program, and the database format required, are described here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=47014

So guys, can you please include the direction data to the single file pocketgps_uk_sc.asc, or to a separate download copy of it?
Thank you!

Sal
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mods - any chance of a reply to this please?

Sal
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've no specific knowledge, but I'd have thought that very few of the database entries will have this informtion stored at the moment. I know the POICapture software can report it, but the great majority of cameras must have been reported by other means.
It will take a huge effort to re-survey them all (and a huge amount of time too, judging by how long other changes are taking to get through the system these days!).
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't dream if suggesting that all the cameras be re-surveyed. Clearly that's an impossible task.
All I'm asking is that the directions are given for the cameras where they are already known. If that is only a few then it won't be a big job to do, but it will be a start and will encourage us to report directions for the ones that don't have the data.
At the moment, it's a closed loop - no data shown means that we can't use it and can't update it.

Sal
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a meeting this weekend and I will raise this issue. We have a large amount of cameras now recorded with directional data but what proportion these are of the entire live database I do not know.

However if we can move this on then this would be a great opportunity to test it!
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
It will take a huge effort to re-survey them all
That was said about adding speed information to every camera site a while ago too, and we're getting there with speed information on every camera.

I also know that many of the Garmin units support directional information for the Garmin camera database - I wonder if the support is also in the POI alerts if only we know the format....

It's also ironic that the TomTom POI Capture program records direction, yet the TomTom doesn't support the use of that information - if it did I think we would see a great rise in the quality of the submitted data...
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We have a meeting this weekend and I will raise this issue. We have a large amount of cameras now recorded with directional data but what proportion these are of the entire live database I do not know.

However if we can move this on then this would be a great opportunity to test it!

Darren, I'd be VERY grateful for the chance to test this on the Mio devices, and I'm sure others would too. It doesn't matter what proportion of the cameras have direction data so far, as long as we can get started on it. We only need the data added to one of the file types for the Mio's, and I have suggested a suitable format in the thread linked above. If you want to use a different format, let me know and I will re-write the Mio import program. By all means PM me if you want to discuss.

Sal
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems a natural progression to include directional information even if only Mio use it at the moment. After all nothing stands still with this kind of technology.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it wasn't until PGPSW started to offer the speed limit data that people started submitting the speed data in their droves, and I suspect the same will apply to the heading (which is already an option on the submission page).

If only the Google map could be used to somehow allow the user to use the map data already there to provide the heading.

Actually - what sort of data can be entered into that box - for a motorway like the M4 if I wrote "Eastbound" would that be enough to allow you to work out the exact heading??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Actually - what sort of data can be entered into that box - for a motorway like the M4 if I wrote "Eastbound" would that be enough to allow you to work out the exact heading??

Where it is as simple as that then yes. Otherwise comments like 'pointing towards Marton etc would also be acceptable. Anything that identifies the direction without doubt!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned elsewhere, to avoid confusion with rear-facing/forward-facing, can the form be clarified to ask for driving direction (i.e. avoid the word "pointing")?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
As mentioned elsewhere, to avoid confusion with rear-facing/forward-facing, can the form be clarified to ask for driving direction (i.e. avoid the word "pointing")?

Good point.
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said "point"! HAHA!

Ahem.

I'll deffo be submitting driving direction info if this gets off the ground..
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I missed that! Clap
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sallyann,

Sallyann wrote:
The latest Mio GPS units can display camera direction, so that you are not wrongly alerted by a camera on the opposite carriageway.

I’m not familiar with the Mio GPS units, how do they do this? Is the information given in degrees or more helpfully "This Side", "Other Side", or "Reversible"? If it’s the latter, can you configure the Mio to only warn for just "This Side" or "Reversible" or Warn for all directions? This would be useful to verify the data even if a camera site is on the "Other Side".

Sallyann wrote:
If we can give a lead by providing and using the direction data, it must be taken up by the other manufacturers.

Very true! It would also be great if other manufacturers would follow the TomTom lead and produce their own SDKs so that POI Capture could be written for other software.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: