Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI import in C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI import in C710
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Here's the answer. iGO POI Explorer doesn't seem to like the fact that POI Edit puts the points into a new folder. What you need to do is create the .kml file in the usual way, then exit POI Edit.
Then open the kml file in a text editor such as Notepad.
Near to the beginning of the file you will find the tag "Folder". Delete this together with its enclosing angle brackets.
Near the end you will find the matching "/Folder". Delete that with its brackets. Save the file, making sure that Notepad doesn't change the extension from .kml.

Now it should import OK into iGO POI Explorer.

*NB*
when it imports, POI Explorer will put the points into a new folder at the highest level on the left side of the tree. You must drag and drop it one level to the right so that it sits under "POI Database", otherwise the Mio won't see it. Alternatively if you already have a suitable folder and you just want to add the new points to it, you can double-click the new folder to open it up and then drag-drop the individual points to your old folder, then delete the empty folder.

Hope this is OK - I must get back to a paying customer!

Sal
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
OK. Here's the answer. iGO POI Explorer doesn't seem to like the fact that POI Edit puts the points into a new folder. What you need to do is create the .kml file in the usual way, then exit POI Edit.
Then open the kml file in a text editor such as Notepad.
Near to the beginning of the file you will find the tag "Folder". Delete this together with its enclosing angle brackets.
Near the end you will find the matching "/Folder". Delete that with its brackets. Save the file, making sure that Notepad doesn't change the extension from .kml.

Now it should import OK into iGO POI Explorer.

*NB*
when it imports, POI Explorer will put the points into a new folder at the highest level on the left side of the tree. You must drag and drop it one level to the right so that it sits under "POI Database", otherwise the Mio won't see it. Alternatively if you already have a suitable folder and you just want to add the new points to it, you can double-click the new folder to open it up and then drag-drop the individual points to your old folder, then delete the empty folder.

Hope this is OK - I must get back to a paying customer!

Sal

Sally,
Thanks for your help Laughing
I bow to your expertise Cheers!

Dee
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deejay01 - I often get this error when importing the files in to IGO POI Explorer in .kml format.

Suggest you open your source POI file in an application such as POIEdit and save as generic ascii.

Then switch to import an ascii file from within IGO POI Explorer.

Remember to drag&drop the imported file in to the IGO POI database before exporting back to the igo database (offline).
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just can't get POI EXplorer to work. I can't even get it to start. I just get "iGO POI Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. ". This happens with the beta version as well. Do I need anything else installed to run this program?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rronaldson wrote:
I just can't get POI EXplorer to work. I can't even get it to start. I just get "iGO POI Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. ". This happens with the beta version as well. Do I need anything else installed to run this program?

Reg, it sounds like you don't have the .NET framework installed, which the website says you need.
It's a vast, cumbersome chunk of software available free from the MS update site - but you need a fast broadband connection.

Sal
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal,

You may be right. I had NET installed on my previous PC but can't recall if I loaded it onto this one. Couldn't get onto the MS Update site earlier this evening but I'll try again.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rronaldson wrote:

Ronaldson
You should have been prompted to install framework 2.0. That may be the problem unless there is a problem with your windows.

Dee
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:
Deejay01 - I often get this error when importing the files in to IGO POI Explorer in .kml format.

Suggest you open your source POI file in an application such as POIEdit and save as generic ascii.

Then switch to import an ascii file from within IGO POI Explorer.

Remember to drag&drop the imported file in to the IGO POI database before exporting back to the igo database (offline).

Ernest,
The version of iGO explorer doesn't allow me to import asc files, it only acepts kml. Maybe its beacause I am using the beta version. If you have the URL for the proper version please post it here as I would prefer to use asc files.

Dee
rronaldson
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sal & DJ,

I've got POI Explorer working now. I did the install for NET but as it asked me whether I wanted to Repair or Uninstall I assume I already had it installed. Anyway I did a Repair and the program works now. Thanks for your help. I think I will do a rebuild of my POIs a bit at a time and see how that affects my Settings Backup.
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused. I downloaded my version from:

http://inetcom.hu/mick/igo/

The version is: 1.0.0.637 which is still the beta.

When importing I select File, Import, POIs from file, and then select CSV POI file (*.csv,*.asc,*.txt) from the drop down box.

If the drop down box is not there then I'm stumped - wish I had some of Sal's programming skills - never got past basic on a ZX80.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This morning I used POI explorer (version 1.0.0.637) to import a list of 6,050 locations into my iGO.db. I had to go and make a cup of coffee while it finished the job, but after that I copied the modified file back to the C710 and they are all in there and displaying. I don't need the data on the Mio (it is a list of a customer's locations and he has a much better mapping system) but it was interesting to see that it worked perfectly.

Sal
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about selecting the correct icon? I have used poiconvert and just get the default "stacked items" icon.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
This morning I used POI explorer (version 1.0.0.637) to import a list of 6,050 locations into my iGO.db. I had to go and make a cup of coffee while it finished the job, but after that I copied the modified file back to the C710 and they are all in there and displaying. I don't need the data on the Mio (it is a list of a customer's locations and he has a much better mapping system) but it was interesting to see that it worked perfectly.

Sal

Sally,
I'm using version 1.0.0.637.
I noticed that all of my icons have changed to the default, it there any way around this.
What file type do you use (asc, txt or kml)?

Dee
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
Sallyann wrote:

Sal

Sally,
I noticed that all of my icons have changed to the default, it there any way around this.

Dee

The group I created and subsequently exported to the Mio has retained the icons I set in IGO_POI Explorer. Might be worth trying again as I can confirm that the software import worked for me - using version 1.0.0.637.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:

Sally,
Dee

The data I used was in a spreadsheet, so I exported that to an .asc file and imported direct into POI Explorer.
The icons on the map are just the round blue dot. I didn't try to change that.

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: