Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Mio & TMC
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Mio & TMC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peasemold,

sorry that you still cannot get the adaptor to function, but how did you manage to knacker the antenna?. I too am convinced that software is ultimately the reason why some 510s will work with TMC and others won't, especially after the marked improvement in speed/reception that i have noticed since switching to the modified DATA file. Did you actually get around to trying the modified DATA file prior to knackering the antenna? To be honest, you have only got to look at the problems (and varying degrees of the problems) that so many people experienced in installing the V3.2 upgrade to suspect that the software is to blame.

Regards
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrax wrote:
Hi Peasemold,

sorry that you still cannot get the adaptor to function, but how did you manage to knacker the antenna?. I too am convinced that software is ultimately the reason why some 510s will work with TMC and others won't, especially after the marked improvement in speed/reception that i have noticed since switching to the modified DATA file. Did you actually get around to trying the modified DATA file prior to knackering the antenna? To be honest, you have only got to look at the problems (and varying degrees of the problems) that so many people experienced in installing the V3.2 upgrade to suspect that the software is to blame.

Regards

Thanks for the reply, Ultrax. I damaged the antenna by sticking it to a side window and then lowering the window when I entered a car park. The only actual damage is to one sucker and losing the little black plastic bit at the end of the wire, which fell off into the car door, never to be seen again. The antenna is still working, I'm sure, because the settings page shows the Rx scanning ok and stopping at known FM frequencies. Occasionally the two little cars symbol appears, but no data, and only a very short orange bar, so it would appear I'm receiving something but it is failing to be decoded for some reason.

I changed to the new DATA.ZIP file last night and noted it is about 1 mB (25%) less than the old one, this perhaps explaining its greater speed. I have yet to see any TMC data, though, but this just may be due to short time I have been using it. I noticed some settings pages with this software, notably a COM port setting and also some GPS settings - would fiddling with those help? Unlikely I would think.

I assume the purpose of the hack is to achieve a Tomtom look - I'm not sure whether I like it or not but I guess I'll get used to it.

Peasemold
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peasemold,

i also noticed that this DATA file is smaller, but there is more functionality/options. The unit certainly does not appear to lose anything from changing to this DATA.ZIP version, so i don't think the file size is impacting upon the speed/reception of the TMC (could be something to do with the different load up screen/graphics bitmap sizes?). If anything, it is the additional TMC screen/options that are now showing with the modified file installed that are making a difference, presumably these being hidden/suppressed by MIO? As stated previously by both myself and Bigrids, the TMC screen appears as soon as the adaptor is powered and plugged in and the reception and listing of events is almost instant. I did not have to mess about with the settings, so i agree that this would probably not help you. My unit came with V3.11 installed and i am pretty sure that Bigrids did as well, since we had to confirm this to Easy Devices when ordering the adaptors. Perhaps dpmguy can let us know if this is the case with his unit? Did your 510 have V3.0 installed or V3.11? Clutching at straws but looking for some logic behind why some C510s work with TMC and others do not.

Cheers
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ultrax wrote:
Hi dpmguy,

good to hear from another 510 user who has a TMC adaptor that works. Our exclusive little club is growing (that was you Bigrids & me until now). The 16 pages of incidents/events is pretty typical and as i stated previously, the TMC works even better/faster since i copied over the new DATA file. As soon as the adaptor is plugged in, the TMC screen appears and page after page of incidents start compiling. All in all i am very happy with my adaptor and it works!

Regards

Thx Ultrax, Did try copying over the DATA file yesterday, but every time I tried to enter mio Map got an error message that it could not find DATA file on the SD card. I know I copied to the same place i deleted the other one from. I put the old DATA file back on and Mio Map works fine again and the TMC button is even present when the TMC adaptor is not even plugged in!!!! I will give it another go at the weekend when i have more time to re-install if i screw it up again.
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Free TMC in France for Mio C710 users Reply with quote

I've been reading through the MIO site tofay and I have found somthinf which is quite useful to all MIO users (in regards to TMC not working in France).
Looks like we now can have traffic updates in France for free for the C710 users. I think C510 users have to subscribe. Another thing I would say is make sure that you have registered properly otherwise that may be the reason you are not receiving traffic updates.
Also I am now a bit more familiar wich the TMC control Centre on the Mio C710 and I can confirm that I do get traffic updates from Heart 106.2Mhz, haven't managed to get the Capital Radio 95.7Mhz one yet but that may be because the TMC signal for Capital may be weak in my area.
So it looks like we are using the Trafficmaster system intead of the ITIS system.

http://www.mio-tech.be/press_center/press/press_releases.php?recordID=121

Dee
Ultrax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dpmguy,

did you copy over the arial font file as well as the blue border DATA file as the thread instructs? Also, can you confirm if your 510 came with V3.0 or V3.11 installed?

Regards
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Post Subject Reply with quote

Ultrax wrote:
Hi dpmguy,

did you copy over the arial font file as well as the blue border DATA file as the thread instructs? Also, can you confirm if your 510 came with V3.0 or V3.11 installed?

Regards

I did copy the font file from my PC. I also tried to unzip the DATA file to look in it, but this failed. Could be that the DATA file did not download from the net fully. Am now trying to find the link whilst at work to download it again. Will check this eveing which version was insatlled but i am certain it was V3.2.
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose what would be most helpful would be a hash check on all the files on a working C510 and a C510 where it doesn't work.

Something that could list the files individually, and give a MD5 for each one.
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh... WinRAR does that ^

If you copied all the contents (except the maps I suppose) from the device to a folder on your computer, then used WinRAR to archive them.. One of the columns in WinRAR is the "CRC32" column, this could be used this number could be used to compare the files - to see with ones are different.

Just an idea.
dpmguy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Post Subject Reply with quote

dpmguy wrote:
Ultrax wrote:
Hi dpmguy,

Regards

I did copy the font file from my PC. I also tried to unzip the DATA file to look in it, but this failed. Could be that the DATA file did not download from the net fully. Am now trying to find the link whilst at work to download it again. Will check this eveing which version was insatlled but i am certain it was V3.2.

Have now downloaded the "HACKED-UI-v13-MIOMAP32-data.zip" file again. File size is bigger that the one I loaded to my C510. Will give the the new larger file a go this weekend, fingers crossed.

Must say i like the way the 510 can be restored from the disk. Had a bit of a panic intially when it would not start and maps went missing.

Keep up the good work on these forums, they are a mine of useful information. Wink
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Free TMC in France for Mio C710 users Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:
I've been reading through the MIO site tofay and I have found somthinf which is quite useful to all MIO users (in regards to TMC not working in France).
Looks like we now can have traffic updates in France for free for the C710 users. I think C510 users have to subscribe. Another thing I would say is make sure that you have registered properly otherwise that may be the reason you are not receiving traffic updates.
Also I am now a bit more familiar wich the TMC control Centre on the Mio C710 and I can confirm that I do get traffic updates from Heart 106.2Mhz, haven't managed to get the Capital Radio 95.7Mhz one yet but that may be because the TMC signal for Capital may be weak in my area.
So it looks like we are using the Trafficmaster system intead of the ITIS system.

http://www.mio-tech.be/press_center/press/press_releases.php?recordID=121

Dee

I seem to remember posting an article on here some time ago stating that there is to be a UK-SPECIFIC TMC receiver, which is still under development/testing at Mio - but some smart arse decided to dispute this.

Just about every posting I've added to this forum has been disagreed with - despite the contents of many such postings being from PERSONAL e-mails from Mio themselves - but why not shoot the messenger because he's an easy target.

I said that I wasn't going to post any more messages on here, but thank God somebody has finally shown something to support disputed contents of my postings.

If smart arses could fly, this forum would be a very busy airport!!!!!!!
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received this from Easy Devices regarding my recent TMC/C510 problems:

Hi,

Thanks for your email. The information you have given seems to indicate that
the TMC receiver is functioning correctly and the issue is with the Mio
rather than the TMC antenna. I would ensure that you have updated correctly
to MioMap version 3.2 (you may need to do this several times) and also have
the latest ROM version R34F.2.111.517 (although most earlier version should
run without a problem too).

Support

Easy Devices.co.uk

It's true that my update to V3.2 didn't run smoothly, however the map software updated ok and I am now running the hacked version, but I never succesfully updated the German and French maps.

The bit about the ROM version is interesting.

Peasemold
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had similar advice from a different supplier.

However, I did return the receiver for a FULL refund.

The supplier told me that they would be testing the receiver upon return, but when I asked how they would test it in light of the correspondence exchanged with their 'support' team, I got no answer.

I have been in discussion with Trading Standards who advised me that what Mio told me, these receivers are not 'fit for purpose' and since then, Mio have said that these receivers are intended for use by us Brits driving on the continent and NOT within the UK.

Also, Mio have since come to an agreement with the previously awkward French TMC system and, as I've said before, work is still underway developing and testing a UK-specific receiver.

Their may be some firmware issue which allows some systems to work, but the only model which appears to work consistently is the C710 with its built-in TMC receiver (decoder) as opposed to other units with their external receivers.
darthpaul
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what a log of the raw GPS/TMC data looks like on the C710 as opposed to a C510 with TMC that works and one that doesn't..

I read somewhere on some forum about enabling a GPS log, but I can't find it now...
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could well be barking up the wrong tree - it was just a thought.

Perhaps someone like Sal could help because she's had TMC working OK, I never got it working.

Plus the French thing specifically mentioned the C710 - hence the firmware thought.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: