Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Consistant bug with C710
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Consistant bug with C710
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Consistant bug with C710 Reply with quote

I'm now on my 4th C710 now (last 2 from different shop) yet still I have the same bug every time Crying or Very sad The unit is always 100 to 200 ft behind actual position on road. It isn't poor reception as is always behind! (On No.2 unit I tried an external antenna just to rule out reception issues but to no avail). It can't be the car having an effect as I have tried now in 4 different makes of car ranging from an old 1989 Golf to a brand-new Peugeot 307.

On the last 2 units I have installed Miomap V3.2 as Miotech told me that this would sort out the problem - but surprise surprise it didn't :x

Why oh why do I always seem to get the duff units .... or have other owners now experienced the same problem that I first reported back in August?

Don't want a Tom Tom as they're too bulky, possibly thinking about sending back to exchange for a Garmin Nuvi 360T or a Navman iCN 750. Hopefully one of these may be a better quality unit.

Comments please before I commit to another brand.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Consistant bug with C710 Reply with quote

Hi budwin.

Something weird going on with your units as my location is always shown spot on and the screen refresh rate keeps it that way. Worst case I've seen is about a 1 second delay.

budwin wrote:

Don't want a Tom Tom as they're too bulky, possibly thinking about sending back to exchange for a Garmin Nuvi 360T or a Navman iCN 750. Hopefully one of these may be a better quality unit.

Comments please before I commit to another brand.

Totally agree with your comments about TT, they're huge, and you can only mount it on the windscreen (a major pet hate of mine) with a dodgy mount

With regards to the Nuvi 360. Save your cash. This unit has 'Text to Speech' and you'll soon get fed up with the mispronunciations of various road names.
Also another major bug for me was the volume level on the hands free was desperately quiet. You had to use it with the volume at max then it distorted badly.

As for Navman, how long have you got, better still let's not even go there.

CeeJay.
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt 4 units would have the same fault.

What exactly do you mean "always 100-200 ft behind"

Do you mean that the arrow on screen is wrongly positioned or that you only get an announcement once you've passed a junction by 100-200ft that you were meant to turn into?

Is it on motorways, approaching roundabouts, at junctions etc (although I don't see what difference a hundred feet would have on a motorway.)
Can you give a route to follow and where the problems occur.

Remember that the your location on the map comes from the GPS chip, so if this is your problem then I'd suggest you've been very unlucky to have 4 faulty units.

If its just to do with the voice commands - they come from the software, and are "triggered" at different distances for different events. (see the threads on changing the warnings for roundabouts for more info)
eg. approaching a roundabout you may get an announcement at say 800 ft and 300 ft, but if you're in between it may not be exactly correct.

Plus you could easily drive 100-200ft during the course of an announcement, and the arrow may well be at least 100ft long at certain zoom levels.

Personally I always use the miles/yards setting for driving - I think the feet one is more for pedestrian mode - its probably that you're moving too quick for it.

Have you tried using a different voice? Each may have slightly different announcements depending on the software version / or which one you downloaded.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rondun wrote:
I doubt 4 units would have the same fault.

All very good advice!
Also, are you using 'keep to road'? This will change the characteristics - try the opposite setting.

Sal
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple question - is this your first sat nav system?

Could this be a simple case of user perception rather than unit fault?

I have experience of a variety of sat nav systems since they first came into the public domain all those years ago.

In my experience, particularly with my Mio (which uses 4 satellites rather than the old 'standard' of 3 satellites), distances given are fairly accurate. However, your position on the map may appear to be slightly 'behind' in order that you can see where you are going. For example, if you are at a junction and have to make a left or right turn by being 'behind' you can still see the junction on the map whereas it may have disappeared off the bottom of the screen if it showed your 'true' position - this is particularly useful if junctions are close together.

That said, there is one particular location on a tree-lined road with a forked junction where (especially in cloudy weather with reduced satellite reception) my C210 occasionally thinks I've forked off (yes, I did say forked) onto a parallel road, but it quickly realises the error of its ways and re-routes.

Also, the speed at which the Mio recalculates a route means that you've usually been re-routed before you know you've made a mistake, so I can't say I've had a problem as such.

Having used my C210 alongside other people's TomToms and other systems, each system has their peculiarities but the Mio tends to be the favoured unit for what you get for your money, re-routing etc.
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 10m resolution of the GPS system when in "cruise" mode can cause the arrow to remain on the motorway when you are in fact on the slip road, but only briefly, and you can pick up cameras off closely parallel roads, such as the cameras on Collector Road in Bimingham which runs parallel to the M6 for about 5 miles.

As regards your position on the road in the direction you are travelling, the GPS generates vectors from successive positional fixes - that's how it gets your direction of travel - and presumably uses a bit of dead reckoning to correctly position you on the road during temporary loss, especially under bridges and in tunnels, though there are limits.

Although there is potential for your position to be shown about 10m or so out (about 30 ft), I doubt it would be as much as 100-200ft.

More annoying to me is the fact that some POIs are about 30 m shifted.

Peasemold
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the POI thing is a nuisance - but all systems have their faults.

I have experience of a system driving me down a canal running parallel to the road - now I might be able to walk on water, but the car's a bit heavier than me.

A lot of the sat nav ethos is:
1) what we expect
2) what we're used to

A slight inaccuracy isn't a matter of life and death at the day and, in most cases, a discrepancy of a few feet/metres isn't a big deal. How many of us drive blindfolded and rely entirely upon instructions from the little box of tricks? It's a useful tool and should be used for guidance only - other rules of the road must also be obeyed, even if your sat nav doesn't tell you to give way at a junction.

The majority (if not all) of these sat nav systems are reliant upon US military satellites and they can desensitise the satellites whenever they wish

Also, bear in mind that road system change before maps are updated.

Let's face it, how many of you accept the fact that your PC crashes but moan when your sat nav crashes?? At the end of the day, they're both effectively Windows systems.

And then, the funny thing is all those jokes about women and map reading - but how many of you want a female voice??
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting debate. Straight away I noticed that my C710 always wanted to give me leave highway instruction after I had passed the exit. I put this down to software and amended the voice scripts to leave at 300yards. having now read this thread - could i have a faulty unit also.

Would be interested to know what others accept as "within tolerence"

eg is a voice command to leave motorway after the exit acceptable or not?
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify on my original post.
All of the C710s I have tried have had the same error when reporting the distance to next turn or when announcing the distance to next turn. This is only when reporting in feet, yards or metres. When in miles or km the distance is correct Confused My map position is very accurate (although I have noticed that the screen update has been slower on the last 2 units I have had, when changing direction there is sometimes a very visible lag on the screen).

The distance error is always in the region of 100 to 200 feet at the time of the announcement and when I have arrived at the junction the display still reads approx 100 feet although the map shows I'm there. If I wait at the junction for approx 3-4 secs the distance counts down to zero.

The only way I have managed to force the distance reading / announcement to be accurate is by driving at 20 mph from when I get the 300 feet announcement - this could be a little frustrating for road users who are behind me when I am navigating by my satnav Wink

Most of my driving in the last few months has been on A & B roads and around unfamiliar towns, so an error of 100 to 200 feet is not acceptable.

Settings used are: English (UK) and (UK) Thomas, miles/feet, "keep position on road", safety camera warning on (by the way audible warnings for cameras has generally been quite accurate for me)

Reluctant to change the code on the unit as don't want to void the warranty.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:
Interesting debate. Straight away I noticed that my C710 always wanted to give me leave highway instruction after I had passed the exit. I put this down to software and amended the voice scripts to leave at 300yards. having now read this thread - could i have a faulty unit also.

Would be interested to know what others accept as "within tolerence"

eg is a voice command to leave motorway after the exit acceptable or not?

The problem with motorway exits is that no sat nav system seems to allow for the length of the off-slip and assumes the exit is the point at which the off-slip splits from the main carriageway.

Is this what you mean by passing the exit before you're told to leave the motorway?

I'm interested in this point though because my C210 gives me a warning at 2 miles, 1 mile and so on until I'm on the slip road.

The only problem I've had regarding distance with my C210 was sitting in traffic one evening and slowly creeping forwards - my C210 was increasing the distance as though I was reversing for about 800 yards and then re-positioned and re-calculated the route.
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budwin wrote:
Settings used are: English (UK) and (UK) Thomas, miles/feet, "keep position on road", safety camera warning on (by the way audible warnings for cameras has generally been quite accurate for me)

My C210 is set to English (UK) and (UK) Thomas, miles/yards and I've found it to be spot-on.

Don't worry about hacking your C710, the miles/yards is a default setting - click the right arrow from miles/feet and this should be the next option.

There is a clause in the MioMap User Manual which states that some voice options may not work correctly - but I've found the above settings to be problem free.

The problem could possibly be in the translation from the unit's default METRIC settings to our IMPERIAL measurements. It could be a faulty algorithm and the conversion from yards to feet could multiply any error by 3 (3 ft per yd).

There was a problem with the over speed warnings in MPH prior to V3.2, whereby the tolerances weren't cenverted from km/h to MPH at all and to give a tolerance of ±10% in MPH, the unit had to be fooled by putting in a tolerance of about 65% (depending upon how sensitive you wanted the warning).

...just a thought
budwin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MioC210user wrote:

Don't worry about hacking your C710, the miles/yards is a default setting - click the right arrow from miles/feet and this should be the next option.

What I meant by "reluctant to change the code" was exactly that, e.g. installing additional voices, editing the code etc. so that the software behaves in a different way. I have already tried all measurement settings in the standard options.

MioC210user wrote:
The problem could possibly be in the translation from the unit's default METRIC settings to our IMPERIAL measurements. It could be a faulty algorithm and the conversion from yards to feet could multiply any error by 3 (3 ft per yd)

This is exactly the sort of thing I was suspecting was wrong. However, in a very delayed response from Miotech a few months ago they suggested that Mulitmap V3.2 should rectify this problem. ...... In my case it hasn't!

One thing I can't understand is how I've managed to get 4 units with a significant error that others haven't really experienced. If it is an "algorithm problem" then how is this happening on some units only. If true, then it begs the question what is Miotech's configuration / quality control like?
MioC210user
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously can't comment on Mio's algorithms or quality control.

However, I paid particular attention to distances on my 60 mile drive into work this morning and at each roundabout, junction etc the most the distance was 'incorrect' by was 2yds at a T junction where I had to give way.

I put this 'error' down to the point at which the junction is measured - at a T junction, I suspected it to be somewhere in the middle of the road being joined.

With this exception, I noted that the distance was reading 0yds at the point at which I was turning.

It would have been nice to have been able to pay closer attention to this and maybe change the setting to miles/feet at mid-point in the journey, but there's other traffic, trees pedestrians etc to avoid so it's difficult to take your eyes off the road for too long.

One other thought I had was that if you're driving down country lanes and in towns - is it possible that the trees and/or buildings lining the road reduced satellite sensitivity sufficiently to cause this inaccuracy??

Do you also notice your C710 being 'behind' when you're on an open road?

One of the first real tests for my C210 was a day trip to that Swedish furniture store (aka IKEA) in Croydon. Travelling along motorway and through London suburbs, the C210 was running alongside a TomTom Rider and the built-in system of my friend's Toyota. If anything, the C210 outshone the other 2 units on all counts - not to mention the extra features of speed limits and 'safety' cameras. The only feature which the Mio is missing, which the built-in system with its larger screen had, is a split-screen 'pop-up' which has a close-up of the junction or roundabout within a few hundred yards. With the screen size of the Mio, sadly there's not enough space to do this.

However, in order to maximise the viewing area on my C210, I have removed the tilt and zoom icons from the left hand side.

It's disappointing to hear that updating to V3.2 made no difference because this included map updates in addition to the anticipated software update.
rondun
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

budwin wrote:
One thing I can't understand is how I've managed to get 4 units with a significant error that others haven't really experienced.

I think its simply because you are using miles/feet, where I assume most people here are using miles/yards. I doubt you would have even noticed anything if you'd been using yards from the start.

Like I said before, I think the feet is more for pedestian mode (doh! Laughing ), and its struggling to keep up with your speed in the car. (Maybe someone here who does usually drive using miles/feet would care to comment) Mio is probably a victim of its own success here- do any of the other manufacturers even offer a feet option - Cejay? - you seem to have owned them all!

Also, as mio210user said, its all a matter of perception. What you refer to as a "significant error" would probably be seen by most as another "mio quirk" and forgotten about (like having to set the speed warning tolerance at 60% pre-3.2, for example). I dont believe your unit will be any different to any others on here, and i really doubt 4 units would all have the same fault, but i may well be wrong

I think you've become overly fixated on the feet reading at the junctions (which i can understand), but forgotten what its trying to tell you - at the end of the day it is just a navigation aid, nothing more. eg if it's said to Take the Next Left 2-3 times, and the arrow and coloured line and name of the road are showing you where to go, does it really matter if the reading hasn't counted down to zero by the time you reach the junction, it is still always the Next Left.. OK, if its continually causing you to take a wrong turn, I can undertand your grief, but how many times has this actually happened?

You are completely correct about the Mio support - that you even recieved a reply is remarkable enough, although I suspect many of the problems might well have met with the response "It will be sorted in v3.2"

I suggest setting it to miles/yards and just forget about it, and enjoy stress free navigating with (imho) one of the best satnavs out there. Or better still try driving without the voice commands for a day or two (they bugged me so much i set mine up just to give speed warnings) and see how your perception changes (just remember too keep a lookout for speed cameras! -and don't worry about the occasional wrong turn - Mio's route recalculation is probably the fastest going.) Wink
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rondun wrote:

do any of the other manufacturers even offer a feet option - Cejay? - you seem to have owned them all!

Hi rondun
You're right, they don't. They only offer two settings. Imperial or metric which equates to Miles & yards or Kilometres & metres.
rondun wrote:

You are completely correct about the Mio support - that you even recieved a reply is remarkable enough,

Ain't that the truth.
rondun wrote:

I suggest setting it to miles/yards and just forget about it, and enjoy stress free navigating with (imho) one of the best satnavs out there.

Couldn't agree more
rondun wrote:

Mio's route recalculation is probably the fastest going. .

Trust me, it is.

CeeJay

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: