Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce the GO map upgrades
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the question that I asked a couple of days ago:

I have just bought a TomTom Go 910.

Please advise when the next map update will be available.

The maps currently installed are quite out-of-date.

Will I qualify for a free upgrade when they are available?

Thanks for your help.

Here is the response:

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

The maps that you have pre-installed are the 2006 maps which will not be updated until approximately this time next year. All TomTom map upgrades can be purchased via our website either as downloads or pre-installed on SD card.

With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team

So November 2007 is the release date now!!!
uptowndisco
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:
OK just been on to TomTom to see if I'm entitled to a free map upgarde when they come out as i've only just bought a 510, they said no only people who bought the older models like the 700 got a leaflet entitling them to a free update when it's availbale.

none of us knows whether "my" map is more up to date than "yours".
Just as a test, any of you, navigate to Leisure Road, Kingswood, Bristol BS15 9LA and see what you get - in the 300 it was a mere stub off the roundabout, a projected new road. On the 700 it's both the stub AND a bit of an arc (which actually should replace the stub). If the x10s are better, it may even become a crescent.

Here is a screen dump of the area , it was taken from the new TT1 V2 Regional.

BodgerBaz
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom GO 510 with latest maps looks very similar apart from it's slightly wider screen than the ONE

mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Maps a Corporate reply required Reply with quote

I can’t understand any organisation receiving this sort of bad publicity not issuing a detailed corporate statement (as opposed to the differing replies from the support department) as to why there is so much confusion over map versions and upgrade release dates.
There is clearly a big problem at Tom Tom but the lack of clarity and continued confusion will result in its biggest asset, the customer, abandoning ship and changing brands.
I already read from this forum people having purchased a competitors brand following the bad comments published here.
I for one am in the process of giving up with Tom Tom and upgrading elsewhere
chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely someone at PGPS has contacts within TomTom who can answer these issues!

Please can you try and find out what's going on?
Spudd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, here's the TT one v2/v3 Europe Navteq map of that postcode, seems it's a bit more up to date.

Tim
adrianhaslett
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been on to tt again and thsi was there response thsi time which replicates a response to another member earlier:

The TomTom Maps you have insatlled on your TT510 are the latest and the ones that will be available to download in the near future. Therefor there will be no need for X10 owners to update there maps.

I said so when the new maps come out they will have exactly the same Version number as my 510 has will they. And they said Well we are unable to confirm that. Which basically means they havent got a clue whats going on !
Fibre
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think it has all got a bit too much for them....

A load of computer techies -- with a very good idea -- making good hardware -- but NO IDEA of how to proceed from thereon with the software..

We will (are bound to) have a new lump of hardware shortly - Christmas is comming--- which will come with old maps and slightly updated "firmware"....

together with loads of "add ons" - voices -speed cams - phone compatability- etc

Its no good continuing to upgrade the models and add ons-- with out upgrading the basic elements -- the maps..

People will shortly suss them out and pay with their feet!!
mike37
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Leisure Road... Reply with quote

If it makes any of the readers happier... I am running on a Tom Tom GO Map: 'Great_Britain_Plus-Map' v571.0 purchased mid 2005 and do not even have Leisure Road.

May I suggest that somewhere on the forums people submit their Tom Tom App and Map type/version/purchase date information so readers can at least try and work out for themselves how up to date their maps are.

As an IT worker myself, if our company provided the sort of customer service being supplied by Tom Tom we would have been deserted by now. It is crazy that something so simple as product version stamping with release dates and public disclosure is not done.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi, here's the TT one v2/v3 Europe Navteq map of that postcode, seems it's a bit more up to date.

Now THAT'S better. Just out of interest, can you zoom in and check that it's marked with arrows now to show IN and OUT at the roundabout? With the stub road still there and no arrows, when my 700 crosses the roundabout northbound, it says take the FOURTH exit!

SO .... Who's got an up to date map in their x10? The examples above seem no different from my 700 (still got the stub road). The mid 2005 version on my 300 had only the stub road, no Leisure Road (I've been going to the cinema there for several years).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rugrat2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem is there is only two map providers, no competition!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not the map providers - if you look at the Teleatlas mapinsight website (or rather, try to submit a map error/update), you'll probably find they already have it.

The problem is the map USER, namely TomTom. Just look at all the variations screendumped above - x10s and TT One v2s. And for EVERY one of them, TomTom will reply "You have the most recent map"

Mike37, fibre and mow all have it right. TomTom's customer support is miserable. Why don't they notice? Do they really never look at such a reputable site as this one? Victor Meldrew just wouldn't believe it.

chris_de_wet
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 910 purchased three weeks ago shows the same Leisure Road mapping as BodgerBaz's 510 and Uptowndisco's TT1 v2.

So it would seem that the these three devices do have the latest mapping.

My map version is shown as v650.1052
mow
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: We deserve a "official response" Reply with quote

This whole situation is getting quite bizarre. My Classic is running on Map version 5.71 and I am told by Tom Tom this is the latest version, I quote:-

“The maps that you have now are the latest version of the maps that we have. We do have a map update coming out but it has been delayed a bit. Research and Development have kept the maps back for further research to make sure that when they are released, there are as less problems as possible”

But clearly they have not “held anything back” as later models have later maps.
Forget crescents, I am missing whole motorway extensions that have been open years and spend many a mile driving across country whilst on the A1.

Surely GPSW has enough influence to at least get an official line from Tom Tom’s management.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My 910 purchased three weeks ago shows the same Leisure Road mapping as BodgerBaz's 510 and Uptowndisco's TT1 v2.

So it would seem that the these three devices do have the latest mapping.

My map version is shown as v650.1052

LOOK AGAIN - you haven't got the circle of "unnamed road" which spudd has. Such a minor difference is pretty insignificant of itself. But if that is there, what more important ones are in the maps that have NOT been included in the x10 series, which will be given to me free with my voucher (providing TT can't guess who I am and refuse me!!), but which the x10 folk will have to pay for?

As for PGPSW influence with TomTom - IF ONLY! I recall that when the x10s came out, many complaints were made here about the new speed limit feature, to which PGPSW responded that they HAD warned TT that it wouldn't be a success, but TT went ahead with it anyway.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: