Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - altitude
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

altitude
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PVC17081949
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: altitude Reply with quote

Is there an extension of tomtom to get also the altitude or is it already in it but not visible?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom maps do not have altitude information in them. A GPS unit will pick up altitude information but TomTom does not display it.

Memory map has inbuilt altitude information and also displays and records the GPS altitude.
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Altitude is not a function of the maps, but of the GPS unit itself. It is simply that TomTom have (for whatever reason) decided not to display it.
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neil01 wrote:
Altitude is not a function of the maps, but of the GPS unit itself. It is simply that TomTom have (for whatever reason) decided not to display it.

And I'm very disappointed with that! A feature they could offer that would cost them just a few lines of code. I'd rather have the choice of altitude than compass direction, which both of my vehicles have already.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want altitude for car navigation, the car is always at ground level?

If you need altitude for other purposes than car navigation, you maybe are using the wrong product and should consider Memory Map which basically the Ordance Survey maps of the UK and contains all the elevation information for the UK within the maps.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
Why do you want altitude for car navigation, the car is always at ground level?

If you need altitude for other purposes than car navigation, you maybe are using the wrong product and should consider Memory Map which basically the Ordance Survey maps of the UK and contains all the elevation information for the UK within the maps.

Bit difficult to use OS/ UK when the guy's in the US !
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where does it say that the person who asked the original question is in the US?

What was the point of your reply, it added nothing? Memory Map also covers the US.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget there's no reason why your GPS receiver can't be used with another application... On my Palm I use cotoGPS to read data from TomTom's Bluetooth MkII and use that, altitude et all...

Doubt it's of help if you're on a Mobile, but no doubt there's some similar freeware for the PPC platform.

As for the viability, seeing as TT have just implemented the fixed Northern aspect to assist pedestrians, there's no reason why altitude shouldn't be an option (and hey, it would be fun when putting the foot down over a hump-back bridge!). Who knows, if TT were to produce a set of more detailed, 'not road only' maps, then folks here wouldn't be able to tell other users they've bought the wrong thing!

Laughing
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would have been nice to have altitude displayed on TT when I was driving along the southern Alps. I often wondered how high we were. I now have Winfast Navigator CE on my Pocket PC, so next time I can easily exit TT and check altitude with Winfast.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS altitude information is not very accurate and varies according to the type of receiver, SIRF3 seems better. It is interesting to note how the altitude of where you are varies over time when you are not moving.

The altitude data for the UK on a 1:50,000 scale topographical map takes up about 75MB and the map itself is about 3GB and is just a massive picture file that is calibrated to latitude and longitude. Place names are in another file for searching. The only routing on these is by drawing a route on the map and then following the route using GPS. You can scan in or copy any picture you want (map marine chart or aerial photgraph) and calibrate co-ordinates to pixels.

It can also create a track by logging your GPS position every second or other defined time or distance interval.

TomTom differs in that roads are stored as data that builds up a picture and it can calculate routes between nodes on the map.

It would be nice to have the visible part of a topographical map with the vector data of a navigational system built in behind it.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should add that with TT3 you could log your route in the GPS function and later use that GPS data to draw a track on Memory Map showing where you had driven, what time you passed each point and the speed and bearing at each point. I used this a few times to check how fast I had gone past certain speed cameras that I had not been aware of. I miss this function in TT5&6.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS altitude information is very inaccurate. I used to use CoPilot, which would display altitude. Driving along beside the sea here in Swansea, I could get an altitude reading of 150 feet asl.
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robin2 wrote:
GPS altitude information is very inaccurate. I used to use CoPilot, which would display altitude. Driving along beside the sea here in Swansea, I could get an altitude reading of 150 feet asl.
Robin

You have a SiRF GPS unit, right?

Depending on the firmware, SiRF units report the height above the WGS84 geoid rather than the corrected height or sometimes the application you are using doesn't know how to interpret the NMEA data correctly.

Have a look at the output of your GPS and you will see a GGA string like this:

$GPGGA,123519,4807.038,N,01131.000,E,1,08,0.9,545.4,M,46.9,M,,*47

The 46.9 Meters is the offset from the WGS84 altitude reported in the previous field.

Apply the offset correctly and you will find that your altitude was pretty accurate after all. (Don't forget that you are probably holding the GPS about 4 feet off the ground too!) :D
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:

Apply the offset correctly and you will find that your altitude was pretty accurate after all. (Don't forget that you are probably holding the GPS about 4 feet off the ground too!) :D

Reminds me of when, nearly 50 years ago, I was undergoing pilot training in a Link trainer. At the end of one session the instructor told me "For the most part you did pretty well. The only problem was that you were flying at about 500 feet below the surface of the ground" Embarassed
Robin
Plus a lot of other PDA GPS kit, seldom used
agentgonzo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested in seeing this information displayed in the tomtom screen, but haven't found anything that can do it. I would imagine that it would be easy to write (I'm willing to do it). Does anyone know how to write plugins for tomtom (or if it's possible)?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: