Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Odd behaviour with brand new 910
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Odd behaviour with brand new 910

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Odd behaviour with brand new 910 Reply with quote

You may remember I had a TT1 a few months ago. This failed and I returned it. I then purchased a 710 which worked great for nearly 2 weeks before it was stolen. I have now purchased a 910 at a lower price than the 710.

Tonight I started working on the new 910. I backed it up first, then installed the speed camera POIs, a couple more POIs, went through the tedious process of setting alerting for all the camera types, and tested a route.

I used the demo feature to run through it. Part-way through I cancelled this, then tried to set another route. At this point it asked me if I wanted to disable the "what time do you want to arrive?" feature. I said yes. The unit froze.

I reset it, and it booted up to the splash screen and stopped. I reset it a couple more times but each time it only boots that far and stops. If I attach it to my PC and use TTHOME it works fine. I can browse the disk, and use the TT features through my PC screen. But as soon as I detach it and reboot it, it's back to the splash screeen and no further.

TTHOME wants to load the quick GPS locator application. This fails with a message to say that it cannot write to the file in the ephem directory. I notice when browsing the disk that this directory is corrupt. I cannot delete it. Could this be linked to the above problem?

Is there any alternative to formatting the disk and starting again? I didn't think I'd have to trust my backup so soon.....
Pedro2NR
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what version are you running?
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I updated to the latest version after I backed up -- 6.250? TTHOME made me do it Smile

This morning I took the plunge and formatted the disk then reinstalled my first backup. It worked. I now have an almost-working 910 again.

I took it out on a trip tonight. What's not working now are the computer voices. Normal voices are ok but the computer ones, although I can select them, are mute. I guess I need to try to reinstall them in some way. I'll search the forums but if anyone can point me at instructions that would be great!

thanks
Peter Ward
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found other threads discussing this problem. Fortunately when I took my first "out of the box" backup I did include everything. Even though my loquendo directory WAS present on the 910 I copied over from my first backup just in case.

The results?
1. Kate doesn't even work as a test in the voice menu any more
2. No other computer voices are listed in the voice menu. I worry that selecting a voice other than Kate may mean she disappears as well.

So what ELSE is required in order for the computer voices to be present and work? There must be other files, configurations, etc, that cause them to be displayed in the voices list and then work properly!

I'm rapidly losing patience with TomTom. Perhaps I should just send this back to the shop yet again? It's crazy.
peteward
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have had great support from Ronnie at TomTom. The cause of the problem is that the TT HOME backup utility folds all filenames to lower case. The 910, being a Linux device, is not blind to case, and the Loquendo files have complex capitalisation. Once I restored from my initial backup I disabled TTS.

Ronnie sent me some screenshots to show what the capitalisation should be within the LoquendoTTS directory. I went through renaming the files and the computer voices now work again.

It's therefore probably best to take a copy of the device (or at least the Loquendo TTS directory) using Explorer rather than TT HOME, and keep it safe. TT HOME backup doesl not support the 910 correctly. A file listing would also be a good idea.

Now Kate's working again, it's great. But I don't think we should have to debug TomTom's basic utilities out in the field. This is unacceptable.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: