Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another newbie with question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another newbie with question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jezbenbow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Another newbie with question Reply with quote

Hi all,

Two weeks ago I bought a new TOMTOM ONE GB. I installed the TOM TOM HOME software onto my computer and connected the TOMTOM.

I connceted to the computer and received a message informing me that new updates were available and was told to make a back-up of the SD card before installation. I followed the on screen instructions but somehow I think I have corrupted the SD card.

I disconnected my TOMTOM and instead of the normal welcome screen I got a new screen showing a big red cross over a picture of the SD card.
I've tried resetting the device and removing and re-inserting the card but nothing has changed.

I dont know what I've done wrong but I've since been told by other people that they've experienced similar problems.
Is this a problem with TOMTOM or have I dropped a clanger?

Apologies if this is a big problem and has been asked before but I'm completely stumped. I thought these things were user friendly? Confused
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you contact Tom Tom support. You may have to provide proof of purchase before they will help
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
Shinymera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you make a successful backup?

TT Home does something rather nasty when updating. It deletes the application from the TomTom before it installs the new version.
So if for what ever reason there is a problem with the new version it downloaded you end up with a messed up TomTom.

If you did create a backup, then start HOME and then turn on you TomTom. When you see the red cross through the SD, connect the usb cable. It should ask if you want to connect to your PC. Say yes. Then from within HOME select restore from backup.

If you don't have a good backup then your in trouble.
jezbenbow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help fella's.

I bought it online from Dixons.online so I decided to take it into my local CURRYS who exchanged it for a new one no questons asked (Now thats a first!). They didn't even put up a fight Laughing

I couldn't get the thing to back-up before it attempted to download the updates and I reckon it must have somehow erased everything from the SD card.

A mate says he had the same problem when updating on the internet but he swears he has no problem when connecting to his phone and updating through his phones GPS.

Anyway, problem sorted for now. :D

I dont supposed somebody has a list of Do's and Dont's for this type of problem? Is downloading via a mobile phone a better method or is my mate pulling my leg?
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do is to make a backup before you do anything else, and make certain it is good !

If you have a spare SD card, then copy the original card to that, and use the new card for everything - keep the original SD card just in case of probs.

The original card on my ONE was 128Mb, and I had a spare 256Mb card from a digital camera upgrade, so use that for everything knowing I have a backup card !

I still keep a backup on the PC, but doesn't hurt to be belt and braces !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: