Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't obtain WAAS in northwest Indiana using Holux GPSlim236
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't obtain WAAS in northwest Indiana using Holux GPSlim236

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronprez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:45 am    Post subject: Can't obtain WAAS in northwest Indiana using Holux GPSlim236 Reply with quote

I am using a Holux GPSlim236 with firmware 3.1. I have enabled WAAS using GPS Viewer, and enabled it using Sirfdemo. I have gone to an area (in northwest Indiana) where I have a clear view of the southwest sky, and watched the satellite tracking. I do see satellite 35 (PRN 122) pop up occasionally, but then it disappears, never staying much longer than about 20 seconds. I have sat there for at least 45 minutes trying, but it just comes in occasionally, then drops out, and never shows as teal in Sirfdemo, or indicated my receiver is using DGPS in any way in any other application I have used. I have tried cold starts, disabling/reenabling WAAS, but nothing has really seemed to make it work any better. I have tried changing the position of the receiver in hopes the antenna gets a better signal.

Can anyone offer any advice so I can get a lock to get the WAAS almanac loaded into the receiver? Does anyone know why I haven't been able to see any other WAAS satellites? By doing lots of reading/research, it seems that satellite 51 (PRN 138) should be much easier for my receiver to see based on where I am, and I am definitely in the coverage area as indicated on WAAS coverage maps. I have never seen that one come up in the satellite list, not even once.

Anyone that can enlighten me as to my WAAS woes, please do. I am aware that WAAS may not increase my accuracy, but I would really like to get it to work, at least for the geek factor, and at least see for myself.

Thanks,
Aaron
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be in the coverage area, but definitely at the upper border. The WAAS birds are geostationary like the TV birds, but they don't have their powerful transmitters.

You may be better off with a local DGPS sender.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
aaronprez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right. Maybe I will have better success when Satellite 48 (PRN 135) and Satellite 51 (PRN 138) become fully operational. I wonder why my receiver isn't picking up those satellites, because those are running in test mode, and in Sirfdemo, my receiver is configured to operate in test mode. Those satellites are significantly closer and much better elevation angles than the Satellite 35, the one that I see occasionally pop up.

Here is the status page of those satellites:
http://www.nstb.tc.faa.gov/incoming/New_WAAS_Geo_Status.pdf
aaronprez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now I can get Satellite #35 much clearer now. I bought an external antenna and it boosted reception significantly. Now I can get it to remain on my satellite screen for minutes at a time, sometimes like 15 minutes, and with a stronger signal. It still hasn't locked though. But supposedly Satellite #48 is supposed to go operational at 8:00 UTC on Friday, so maybe I will be able to lock on that one, since it will be higher in the sky for my location.
aaronprez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that anyone seems to care in this forum, but now that satellite has been postponed to go operational again until this Friday 11/10.

INTELSAT(PanAmSat), Galaxy-15, W133 deg, PRN -135 (48)
PRN-135 is currently in the process of being switched into the operational WAAS.
The current plan is take PRN-135 out of Message Type Zero Test Mode and
place it into normal operation on before 11/10. (delayed a week from original
11/3 estimated date).

Here is a forum where people actually do talk about WAAS:
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: