Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - My i3 loves a closed road!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

My i3 loves a closed road!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercliff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: My i3 loves a closed road!! Reply with quote

Hi,
I was doen in ccornwall and used my i3 to find a route to somewhere in the middle of knowhere. A Karting track to be precise. I had the post code, so felt pretty confident that I'd get there.
There was only one problem, one of the tiny country roads was closed for about a 2 mile section (somewhere between the A30 and newquay).

I saw tha the road was closed, so went off at a tangent, hoping that my i3 would then find me another road. It did, but we ended up going back to the same raod, but half way down the closed section, if you see what I mean. I ended up again back tracking and heading off at a tangent, to get 'Re-Calculating' to another route.

I eventually got there by driving further out of the way, and attacking at a different angle.

i'm pretty sure there's no way of telling the i3 that a road is closed, unless anyone knows a way?

Can you tell any gps that a road is closed? so that it uses an alternative route?

Ta

Cliff
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about this for my Nuvi. Technically, the maps have a priority system such that routing takes place on the more detailed maps rather than the less detailed maps such as the basemap where possible. If we could create a very small map tile to replace an area where a road was closed with open space, effectively removing the road and assign it a higher priority than the normal maps then this should be possible.

How we would go about this - I dont know. It would be a really useful feature for Garmin to add to mapsource - I could see pocketgpsworld publishing a road closures database in addition to the speed cameras for this purpose
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will work out a completely new route if you use the "detour" function.

As far as other sat. nav. systems go, you can tell a Tom Tom that there is a roadblock and it will work around it. You can also draw an area on a map and tell it to avoid that area (or at least you could on my old Tom Tom system). These are the types of features you are paying the extra money for over the cost of an i3.

Nick.
supercliff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the Detour button take you on a completely new route? i.e attempting to avoid all the roades oon it's previously calculated route?
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
How we would go about this - I dont know. It would be a really useful feature for Garmin to add to mapsource - I could see pocketgpsworld publishing a road closures database in addition to the speed cameras for this purpose

Mapsource already has this, Route Avoidances can be found in the Edit - Preferences - Routing - Try to Avoid panel, Click the Advanced button. This allows you to add avoidances for particular roads or specified rectangular areas. My Quest has a similar function, you can even add an expiry date to the avoidance so that it is removed after a certain date.
tkerby
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But mapsource has no way of downloading avoidances to your gps Sad
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it's possible to get MapSource to create a map with the avoidances in it, and then use one of the img2gps / send map tools to create a supplementary map and then transfer this to the SD card to achieve what Garmin won't let us do....?
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkerby wrote:
But mapsource has no way of downloading avoidances to your gps Sad

True, but if you create your routes using Mapsource and upload then obviously that would work so long as you don't recalculate on the unit. Not exactly convenient for spur of the moment navigation I grant you.

Are you sure that the Nuvi doesn't have an on-board avoidances option? A quick look at the manual seems to indicate not. Garmin seem to be dumbing down their GPS units these days, the Zumo (have an interest as I ride a bike) has dropped quite a few features over the likes of its predecessors (2610, Quest, 2720 and 2820) making it less useful than my £130 eBay Quest.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
I wonder if it's possible to get MapSource to create a map with the avoidances in it, and then use one of the img2gps / send map tools to create a supplementary map and then transfer this to the SD card to achieve what Garmin won't let us do....?

Unless you can load routes, tracks and custom way-points using this method then I doubt it.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpkin wrote:
Are you sure that the Nuvi doesn't have an on-board avoidances option?
Yes, sure.
Quote:
Garmin seem to be dumbing down their GPS units these days, the Zumo (have an interest as I ride a bike) has dropped quite a few features over the likes of its predecessors
Indeed, and the Zumo still has some features (multiple vias) over the Nuvi.
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
Indeed, and the Zumo still has some features (multiple vias) over the Nuvi.

The Nuvi doesn't appear to have much better navigation functionality than my i3 8O
billb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My i3 loves a closed road!! Reply with quote

Hi Cliff

Try selecting the detour function, this has worked well for me.

billb

supercliff wrote:
Hi,
I was doen in ccornwall and used my i3 to find a route to somewhere in the middle of knowhere. A Karting track to be precise. I had the post code, so felt pretty confident that I'd get there.
There was only one problem, one of the tiny country roads was closed for about a 2 mile section (somewhere between the A30 and newquay).

I saw tha the road was closed, so went off at a tangent, hoping that my i3 would then find me another road. It did, but we ended up going back to the same raod, but half way down the closed section, if you see what I mean. I ended up again back tracking and heading off at a tangent, to get 'Re-Calculating' to another route.

I eventually got there by driving further out of the way, and attacking at a different angle.

i'm pretty sure there's no way of telling the i3 that a road is closed, unless anyone knows a way?

Can you tell any gps that a road is closed? so that it uses an alternative route?

Ta

Cliff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: