Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Wot - No Northern Ireland Street Mapping???
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Wot - No Northern Ireland Street Mapping???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Wot - No Northern Ireland Street Mapping??? Reply with quote

Hi All

I bought my Navman 530 a couple of months ago and I've been very pleased with it so far. Until that is I came to plan a trip to Northern Ireland. One of my visits is in Ballymena which is a BT42 postcode. I put in the postcode but it wasn't recognised. So I tried the street name and that wasn't recognised. So I put in Ballymena and assumed I'd be able to navigate to the street. But all my Navman does is take me to Ballymena shown as a place without any roads. There is no street level mapping at all. Zooming out and having a 'look around' it appears there is no street level mapping outside of Belfast. Now when I bought the kit and it advertised 'detailed maps of GB & Ireland' I naively assumed street level mapping of Northern Ireland. Clearly what I really need is 'detailed maps of UK & Ireland'.

Do all satnav systems ignore Northern Ireland? Any forum posters from Northern Ireland? What do you use?

Thanks

Mark
darrenwright
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right there.... i have just checked on my ICN520 & it doesnt reconise that postcode either & there isnt street level maps on it either.
Talk about false advertsing...Northen Ireland is the UK.
TerryWalsh
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that Navmans map supplier, Teleatlas, has not produced street level mapping for Ireland (North or South). I believe Navtech have recently done so so the only solution is to buy a sat nav including very recent Navtech maps.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a well worn topic. I think this post says it all Exclamation
AirCooledHeaven
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TerryWalsh wrote:
The problem is that Navmans map supplier, Teleatlas, has not produced street level mapping for Ireland (North or South). I believe Navtech have recently done so so the only solution is to buy a sat nav including very recent Navtech maps.

Well I thought about that and went to the teleatlas website where you can report mapping errors. Typed in Ballymena and low and behold street level mapping appeared. So teleatlas appear to have it mapped but it's not in the Navman maps???

I'll have to call the company to fax me a map! But that's why I bought satnav in the first place, so I didn't have to find a godforsaken industrial estate with a third generation photocopied fax stuck to my steering wheel. doh!
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another really well worn topic - How long it takes for new maps to appear on the retail devices. Typically two years, sometimes more. TA only recently mapped NI, so don't expect your year old system to have those new maps.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: