Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF they purchased them directlyfrom TT. Having worked in the retail trade I can tell you that some company's will purchase through another purchaser abroad so that they can be first. That in my view would make it a grey import.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen_EP wrote:
IF they purchased them directlyfrom TT. Having worked in the retail trade I can tell you that some company's will purchase through another purchaser abroad so that they can be first. That in my view would make it a grey import.

It would because the item or product would have been imported without the agreement of the manufacturer.

As I said grey import refers to an item that has been imported into a country, legally, but without the agreement of the manufacturer.
howie555
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think you are talking absolute rubbish! The EEC is one big happy market, and there is no such thing as a grey import from within the EEC as the product is already in the EEC and WE are part of the EEC like it or not.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

howie555 wrote:
Personally I think you are talking absolute rubbish! The EEC is one big happy market, and there is no such thing as a grey import from within the EEC as the product is already in the EEC and WE are part of the EEC like it or not.

Yes sure we are and that makes everythng ok Laughing Out Loud
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a trade point of view it does... TT can't legally stop sales of goods sold in the rest of the EU from being sold in the UK, because it's a single market. Once you sell in the EU you sell in *all* countries in the EU. There are no grey imports between members - the term makes no sense no more than an item sold in London to some on in Manchester is a grey import.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this is one subject I think we will all have to agree to disagree.
I can say that a statement 'Once you sell in the EU you sell in *all* ' rather pathetic after all if the next time I am abroad I buy a TV then that means it will work on 230v and tune to all UK tv stations, come on wake up and smell the coffee.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually most will.. TVs are generally produced multi-standard these days. They're all based on the same chipsets. It's a long time since I've seen a power supply that wasn't dual voltage too.

What they can't do is stop you buying it and say it's for 'french customers only' or something.

That is of course irrelevant to the point. If you want to sell german TVs in the UK there's nothing stopping you - they are *not* grey imports.
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I choose to ignore your comments as at the end of the day you are trying to be clever and talking rubish.

NOW lets get back to what it was all about the TMC is not working !
Allen_EP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH just checked our new TV works off 230v cant find the switch for other voltage! But sure some clever trader could!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allen_EP wrote:
OH just checked our new TV works off 230v cant find the switch for other voltage! But sure some clever trader could!

What other voltage would you need? We use 240V and the rest uses 220V so 230V will work on both.

Getting back to the point, the only difference between TomTom's and Navman's TMC modules is that at least with the Navman one I can attach an external antenna to improve the signal. Out of the box they are both 'under-achievers'.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Getting back to the point, the only difference between TomTom's and Navman's TMC modules is that at least with the Navman one I can attach an external antenna to improve the signal. Out of the box they are both 'under-achievers'.

As are Garmins TMC receivers. User comments suggest they work better on the continent but have poor and patchy performance when used within the UK.

Is the fact that at least three major GPS manufacturers are experiencing TMC receiver issues in this country just coincidence or is there something more specific ?

As it appears there is an improvement when an additional antenna is used on both the Tom Tom and Navman units it could be, as I have previously suggested, the level of signal strength used in the UK is less than in Europe and the sensitivity of the receivers isn't sufficient for a satisfactory performance.
Again as I have previously suggested a software or hardware update might be made before the Tom Tom unit goes on general sale in the UK ie not just through a couple of small online dealers.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Navman one performed better (but still not brilliantly) in France than it does here, in my wife's athermic-screened Renault, with the standard antenna. I didn't have the TomTom one at the time.

I also understand that in the UK the TMC data is transmitted at a lower level.
rpcm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:

I think this is what RDS has been saying all the time. This is why all the TMC receivers are having problems in this country
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpcm wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

I think this is what RDS has been saying all the time. This is why all the TMC receivers are having problems in this country

Yes he has, and so have many other people, myself included. You may have misinterpreted my use of the word 'also'.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpcm wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Hallelujah !!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 13 of 22

Jump to: