Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Globalsat 359w with Axim x51v
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Globalsat 359w with Axim x51v

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Globalsat 359w with Axim x51v Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I have been trying to pair these two for a week now but no luck. I tried every possible combination of ports (mostly 7 and 8 ), software, hardware, incoming, outgoing etc.
Nothing works and I cannot get the two to pair up.
I have no NAVI software, just trying to get them paired and test it with GPSInfo.
Can anyone please help?
Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have this exact combination of hardware still in its box (not mine, it belongs to work) but I will try setting up and let you know later - its on charge at the moment - Mike
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightning fast reply Clap
I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'll sit still and not interfere...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off if you have any existing icons listing your GPS unit in Bluetooth manager (Devices Tab) tap and hold on the item and select delete followed by Yes to confirm the selection.

Tap "New Partnership" (make sure the GPS is switched on at ths point) from the presented list select the GPS unit it will be listed as BT-GPS-34B76A (or at least the one I have is). with this highlighted press Next (lower right corner of the screen).

When prompted enter the Pass code key 0000 (four zeros) and press Next.

Select the check box for "Serial Port" and press "Finish", note if you are not offered the serial port check box start again from the begining and turn the GPS off/ on - if you wait too long between the steps it doesn't offer the serial port! - the serial port is vital to get communication going.

Assuming you have selected the Serial Port check box de-select the on-screen keyboard (middle of the bottom tool bar) this will reveal the screen tabs at the bottom of the screen, select the Com Ports Tab.

Select "New Outgoing Port", the GPS device should be listed and highlighted, if its not highlighted simply select it. then press "Next"

For the Com port use Com Port 7, leave the secure connection ticked and press "Finish"

Now Run up the GPS info application on the PDA, on the set-up tab you should select Com 7 and select the Baud rate to 34800. (although this unit appears to work on any speed the software can offer - 34800 is the manufactureres recomendation so use it)

Now press the "Start GPS" button at the upper middle screen position. You should see a load of data flowing into the large text box, this is the raw NMEA data being transmitted from the receiver, select the GPS info tab and you will now see time/ date/ position information and sat numbers/ signal strength, if you are still indoors at this point the device wll struggle to obtain a fix, take the two devices outside and wait for a while (the combination I have took less than 1min to acquire a 3D fix once outside) - but it could take upto 15 to 20 mins for an initial out of the box fix.

I hope this gives you something to play with, if you can't get it working post back and let us know where in the above your device isn't responding from - Mike
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help! I'm at work now so I'll check it tonight and let you know.
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
First off if you have any existing icons listing your GPS unit in Bluetooth manager (Devices Tab) tap and hold on the item and select delete followed by Yes to confirm the selection....

First of all I'm glad to say that IT'S WORKING!!! Not Worthy
I've followed your instructions and I can now pair the PDA with the GPS and use GPSInfo.
There is only one issue though.
The GPS Info program stops working?/receiving?/displaying?/ data after exactly one minute. The BT keeps on the connection, judging by the blinking speed of the blue indicator, but the data stops refreshing on the GPSInfo screen. Tried it repeatedly and it is exactly after one minute, so it might be a limitation of the program, because it is only a testing facility and not a true GPS navigation program.
I have not yet purchased a navi prog so I cannot test it beyond GPS Info. Have you experienced the same results? Will it be solved when using a Navi prog? Or is it an indication that something is wrong?
Many thanks for your help!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My combination doesn't do this, however I went for a walk with it. I am not 100% but it could be the gps going to "sleep" to conserve power, some units do this, not sure in this case will try it later as the devices are not with me at the moment - Mike
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay thanks. I am not sure that the GPS is going to sleep because the blue BT signal is still flashing quickly which means that there is an active connection. But I'm not sure.
exfive
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm glad to inform you that I have installed a navi prog on the PDA and it's working fine now and all is well.

Many thanks!! Not Worthy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: