Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very Newbie
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very Newbie

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcavanagh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Very Newbie Reply with quote

I am sure this question has been asked many times, but I have read through the site and am still unsure to what Ishould do. First of all I have a Dell A5 400Mhz, and two empty slots CF and SD. I want to use the device for Sat Nav in car only. So is it best to go for 256 MB CF or SD i have read compatablity issue storys here so am confused there. Money is a bit of an issue. I could possable stretch to a 512Mb CF. As for the GPS I want an in car solution only, and have a heated front screen, i heard that makes a big difference to what I need. What would you recomend on this?

Regards
Will
wcavanagh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I have been tols MMC fit into SD slots, is this true?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been some issues plugging GPS receivers into the bottom sync port of the Axim X5, which require to power the GPS first before plugging the cable into the X5, but other than this the main issue really is down to SD card performance and a lot of SD cards not working with the Dell's.

There's a website on the issues here

So you may want to avoid SD cards and go with CF cards. Failing that if you do want to use SD cards and have a CF GPS then you might want to choose your SD cards wisely. MMC will work in SD slots, but MMC cards are still small. For UK maps you'll be looking at around 100mb so add this to the amount of data storage you require and try and purchase the largest card you can afford.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author of the excellent web site that Dave mentioned usually recommends SimpleTech SD cards - I don't believe anyone has had any problems with that brand in a Dell Axim X5 (there is always the possibility that someone will find they don't work, but I'm not aware of any reports). They're available in the UK from clove.co.uk - see their range here. For navigation use, I really would recommend a minimum of a 256MB card.

Using the SD slot on the Dell Axim X5 does make sense if you can get a card that works reliably. Unlike most other Pocket PCs currently on the market, the Axim X5's SD slot is for SD memory only - you can't use it for SDIO peripherals.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: