Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, I've never seen that model of charger before, although the second suppressor looks very familiar...

I can sort of agree with Trafficmaster on this point - they don't deal direct with consumers, so any technical or subscription problems should be referred back to Garmin. However, any information on outages should be more freely available (from someone).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
I have to say I think you've been given old information on the subject, but I will check.
Garmin have confirmed to me that the power lead is the final fix. Whether they mean the 6025 or this newer car charger seems a mute point - it's not going to get better than this.
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best thing to do i guess is if you have the 6025 charger, ring up and get the other one and see if that work any better for you. It's like not you're going to loose out any more if you get the 022455 and it doesn't work better for you. At least it's free so you might as well try
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, garmin have been answering my emails today straight away.

here's a better garmin traffic covergae map for you. It only shows the mast and not how far the masts broadcast, but it's alot better thent he one on their website here

http://www.garmin.com/products/gtm11/coverage.jsp

ATTILA9000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last a transmitter map!Thanks for posting - I wish I had seen this before buying the traffic unit.I live in Scotland and this map pretty much sums up my experience(TMC only available in a 50 mile band across central Scotland).
frankiex
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Guys I have looked at all the threads on the subject of the TMC power lead for the Garmin and I was a bit worried because I have just bought the Nuvi 310D. However, for what it's worth I was supplied with the 6025 lead and having just a few minutes ago set it up in my car I can tell you that it works perfectly. I had traffic data within seconds

Perhaps it is because there is a strong signal where I live, which is a couple of miles south of Guildford in Surrey.

Hope this is of some use.
see-ell
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since loading V3.2 S/W on my Nuvi 310D I have notice that the GTM Status screen has two extra buttons. 'Test' and 'Norm'. Does anyone know what these button do? Also, what does the 'Sim' button do?

After installing V3.2, the GTM S/W version appears to be V3.7

Thanks.
Chris
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankiex wrote:
Perhaps it is because there is a strong signal where I live, which is a couple of miles south of Guildford in Surrey.

Or perhaps your nuvi is fully charged?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having gone right through the entire history of this thread and not found a specific answer, does anyone know how to convert the Garmin information re TMC into actual Radio Fequency?
Or preferably can anyone let me know how to convert a frequency into Garmin style display i.e. chaneel number, SSID etc.
Also does Classic FM transmit TrafficMaster? it is owned by GCAP media who do transmit TrafficMaster, so is it possible the same station puts out TMC for both services (iTIS and TM)? Thanks - Mike
torchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Try going into the FM TABLE SCREEN and touch the white part of the screen near the top this will open a new window with the frequency ect.

Hope this helps
Ron.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron, But I have a list of around 100 Transmitters that cover the country, along with lat/ long power levels etc (just finished converting the OS grid refs to lat/ long), so I want to add the Garmin related info, preferably without driving to within range of each station, even when in range I could still be guessing at the specific transmitter.

For example 5 mins in the car and unit displays 5 frequencies, three of which match the CC, SID and LTN values, out of these three frequencies only Century FM can be the transmitter the unit is using, which is on 105,4. Interestingly 101.1 is listed (as one of the five, but the LTN and SID don't match), this being Classic FM hence my other question WRT to Classic and TM data.

This is with the GTM12 connected to the Hirchman aerial and powered using the 6025 charger, the best reception I have had around home to date, shame about all the wires the car looks more like a test lab at the moment! - Mike
torchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, my unit lock on to 100.1 which is the frequency of Classic Fm but I do
not get any tmc messages even though I have a signal level of 8-15, so it
does not look good, however when I press the test button which locks the channel the message counter starts to go up at the rate of apx 1 per sec.
but I still get the message TRAFFIC DATA NOT AVAILABLE
Do you have the same problem?

Ron.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I mentioned earlier the unit is "interested" in 101.1 but doesn't appear to obtain any data from it. My device sees five channels in total and very quickly picks up data from channel 179 (which I think is Century FM).
Note I have my unit connected to a roof mounted amplified aerial, it is not a standard device any more! But this is the only way I have ben able to get any TMC data, where abouts in the country are you? - Mike
torchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am near DUNDEE which is served by the ANGUS TRANSMITTER.
Don't think anyone has reported reception north of KINROSS.

RON
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron, the Angus Tx unit is located
56,55435 -2,98741 and uses a power of 10KW Classic FM uses this transmitting on 100,1 FM.

I would suspect you should be getting information from the CraigKelly transmitter located at:
56,07152383 -3,23223255 this to uses a power of 10KW frequency is 105,7 FM (Station Name XFM Scotland)
Or it could be useing Blackhill located at:
55,86124551 -3,872775909 this uses a a power of 20KW frequency is 106,1 FM (Station Name XFM Scotland).

Higher power = longer range but terain might be getting in the way for either of these transmitters, unfortunatley the Ofcom site doesn't show range coverage maps for any of these transmitters.

You can actually see the radio masts if you go to the locations lat/ long above when using Google Earth, then see where they are relative to your location - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 38 of 44

Jump to: