Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Specs camera loophole
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Specs camera loophole
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hcl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

re the number of camera's required/used.
As I understand it, the camera's work in a minimum configuration of pairs. However it is possible that they be configured to 'leapfrog' - i.e., if they had three camera's(a;b and c), then there would be two 'zones' a-b, then b-c ('b' becomes 'a' of the second zone and 'c' becomes 'b' of the second pair.

It's the speed of the software and cabling (Wireless links more probably), that would become the limiting factor.

There's no technical reason why they couldn't have a string of them, one after the other.
Cichlas
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A dumb question, but do SPECS cameras actually work? On the M1 J9 I always get cars flying past me. Some just keep going, others for some reason can't comprehend the "Average Speed" concept, they go flying past, then slow down to 40 for the cameras. Are there really so many people getting points on their license? Surely people would realise by now if people were being fined left, right and centre. Flying is of course relative so they may only be doing 60 or 70 compared to my 40, do they have a massive tolerance or something? Just curious.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister was fined for doing 49mph in a 'SPECS' 40mph stretch of the M11. She was in a stream of traffic all travelling at the same speed, so presumably she was not alone in getting caught.
Samsung Galaxy S21
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
My sister was fined for doing 49mph in a 'SPECS' 40mph stretch of the M11. She was in a stream of traffic all travelling at the same speed, so presumably she was not alone in getting caught.

That's scary, as I the drove the full length of the M11 in a hurry yesterday with the latest database and didn't get any specs cameras warnings. Looking at the db this morning seems to confirm that there are no specs on this motorway...
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BMW330 wrote:
That's scary, as I the drove the full length of the M11 in a hurry yesterday with the latest database and didn't get any specs cameras warnings. Looking at the db this morning seems to confirm that there are no specs on this motorway...

Anita mentions a 40 MPH limit. Perhaps they were temp specs cameras during road works and have since been removed?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Anita mentions a 40 MPH limit. Perhaps they were temp specs cameras during road works and have since been removed?

Yes, that's what I meant, and it was several months ago.

Sorry I didn't make it clear. Hope you've recovered from the scare now, BMW330! Laughing
Samsung Galaxy S21
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use the A2 in Kent where these cameras are breeding, at peak rush hour times when traffic can still maintain 50mph plus, but packed close together, without having a tracked vehicle with a turrent on top you have no chance of changing lanes, also at night many of these "Spec" cameras are hidden in the dark.

It might be a loop hole but unless you are a reckless idiot it is better to cover yourself than gain 3 points.

I have had a camera detector now for three years, have a lead right foot and (touch wood) have nil points, my detector will even calculate my speed through if i hit the first "Specs" at 90 mph.
JonMim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

korndog wrote:
Andy_P2002 wrote:
Fair enough, good points both of you. (You can tell I'd just been chugging slowly through some when I wrote!)

Incidently, the two sections I went through over the weekend were both two lanes wide and only had a single camera covering them.

Yeah I noticed that somewhere, could have been the M56 near Runcorn. It must be when they alter the roadworks but forget about the cameras.

This SPECS section also has cameras on the exit sliproad, which would suggest SPECS is working over the lane change situation.......
Mattyboy101
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GJF wrote:
I have had a camera detector now for three years, have a lead right foot and (touch wood) have nil points, my detector will even calculate my speed through if i hit the first "Specs" at 90 mph.

Could you elaborate? What detector is it?
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say detector, I mean on GPS - sorry wrong description. it is a Drivesmart unit, which is ugly, compared with other units and the support is non-existent, but when the database is up to date and it has found a "Specs" camera, it has an in-built calculator which will work out the speed/time (as does the camera). If you hit the first camera too fast, or were to speed up between the cameras, it will keep repeating "speed too fast" until you reduce slow enough to exit the second camera. The only draw back is that if you have been speeding you will have to reduce slower than the speed limit until the voice stops, before that final camera, which annoys drivers behind.
paulbell1979
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject: Their workaround....... Reply with quote

hcl wrote:
re the number of camera's required/used.
As I understand it, the camera's work in a minimum configuration of pairs. However it is possible that they be configured to 'leapfrog' - i.e., if they had three camera's(a;b and c), then there would be two 'zones' a-b, then b-c ('b' becomes 'a' of the second zone and 'c' becomes 'b' of the second pair.

It's the speed of the software and cabling (Wireless links more probably), that would become the limiting factor.

There's no technical reason why they couldn't have a string of them, one after the other.

Hi all,(this is my 1st post here, i hope it okay and in the correct place!)

The technical workaround they have done on the M3, is they have coned off the entry slip road as you come onto it from the M25 down to one lane. Next they have erected the specs bar with 2cameras on. Both of these cameras cover this single lane(at the start point of the zone). 1mile from here, you have another specs bar(with floodlight) that also has 2cameras on it, except, these are both pointing to their respective lanes. This means that when you enter the specs zone, both sets of the pairs of cameras are activated and the timer triggered. This means, whichever camera get you/lane you are in at the end of the zone, the other part of the pair would have monitored you entering the zone at the start.

I hope that makes sense, will wait to get flamed now...........

Also the speed of the software and cabling is not a limiting factor at all with something as simple as this(you can "ping" another PC or server on the other side of the world and get a responce there and back in 0.01 of a second accross the internet, let alone a direct cable connection, as is used on the specs system)

Yes i am a train spotter too.....Laughing Out Loud
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Their workaround....... Reply with quote

paulbell1979 wrote:
I hope that makes sense, will wait to get flamed now...........

Thnaks for that info Paul, very interesting. why would you get flamed, we're a friendly bunch here Smile Oh and Welcome!
bdchme
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can categorically prove that this is wrong...

In order to use these and any other speed camera systems, they must be type approved by the Home Office.

I have a copy (in pdf) of type approval document signed by Paul Boteng in 1999. It does NOT (contrary to what has been discussed) mention or included / excluded each camera operating on only a single lane. The fact that this is NOT included on the type approval means that this was not a stipulation laid down by the Home Office at the inception and therefore almost categorically puts the 'myth' to bed!!

Hope that helps!!!???

PS, if someone lets me know how to display or attach a pdf will happily do so.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bdchme wrote:
PS, if someone lets me know how to display or attach a pdf will happily do so.

If you email it to me, darrenATpocketgpsworld.com I'll upload and edit your post with the link to the .pdf.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bdchme
Is this the one that you have?
http://police.homeoffice.gov.uk/news-and-publications/publication/operational-policing/approved-speed-meters/speed-violation-svdd?view=Binary

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: