Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Costco navman 530 & n20 question,
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Costco navman 530 & n20 question,
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sjm125
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

l
Looking to buy 530 from Costco (or the N20 if that's available) - does anyone know whether these will support the PocketGPSWorld Safety Camera Database - not currently on the list, but is this because they are new?

Thanks
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are new and we haven't had personal experience that they work. However, I'm sure I read that one user here has put the database onto one of the new devices but I can't find it, I'm afraid.
DRP
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
You will see that on the Navman web site they have launched their own downloadable POI files with an annual subscription of € 39 to €149 depending on which country and duration of subscription.
If you go to the Navman site and down load the PDF manual for any of the new units. Scroll through until you find the chapter about downloading POI’s, the example illustrated looks the same format as the Pocketgpsworld POI’s , I may be wrong, as I have only read the manuals.
Regards
DRP

Mio M400 WEU, N60I, T1, 2x B2, iCN 510 & lots more
ChrisSA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Max memory Reply with quote

Any idea what the max SD memory the N20 will take?
The 530 website says 512Mb, though the N20 page (and N series manual) doesn't have any sepcific guidlines.

Still no call from Costco yet Sad
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRP wrote:
Hi
You will see that on the Navman web site they have launched their own downloadable POI files with an annual subscription of € 39 to €149 depending on which country and duration of subscription.
If you go to the Navman site and down load the PDF manual for any of the new units. Scroll through until you find the chapter about downloading POI’s, the example illustrated looks the same format as the Pocketgpsworld POI’s , I may be wrong, as I have only read the manuals.
Regards
DRP

I too have seen that, DRP. They say,
Quote:
Navman have teamed up with RoadPilot the UK's leading supplier of speed camera location data. (Sic)?
They employ a dedicated database team that constantly add new camera locations so that the database you use is always up to date. Even temporary cameras sited at road works are included.
-WOW Exclamation

If you go to

Here

you can read all about it and note that the price for 3 years subscription for UK cameras is £69. I know where I get a better deal Wink
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Max memory Reply with quote

ChrisSA wrote:
Any idea what the max SD memory the N20 will take?
The 530 website says 512Mb, though the N20 page (and N series manual) doesn't have any sepcific guidlines.

Still no call from Costco yet Sad

1, No, not officially, but even though the Manuals for earlier cameras said max 512mb, you will see from these forums that members are using much higher. I use a 1Mb without problem and I have seen one mention of a 2Mb being used. You should use an Ultra or High Speed card if you propose using the larger one.

2. Be patient, I was told about a couple of weeks !

When I get mine I shall certainly try my larger SD card.
cook1e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also went into Costco today (Reading Branch) to pick up an icn530 on their £60 off special offer fo £140 inc VAT. I also found it was out of stock (only looked at this forum tonight otherwise I might have guessed!) and like others on this post was offered the N20 instead on a waiting list option if I paid for it there and then. I was told that the N20 is the rplacement for the icn530 and it has all that the icn530 has plus the speed cameras are preloaded. Seemed a good deal so I went for it!

I was shown the waiting list and there was a list of names consisting of about 2 pages of A4 so I guess there would have been somewhere between 50 and 100 names on the list. The lady who served me couldn't confirm exactly how long it would take but she said it shouldn't be more than a few days as they are coming in in batchhes of 100 and they've had two deliveries this week which have both sold out within a day! Priority is being given to those on the waiting list so hoping that I'll get mine when the next delivery arrives.

Only thing I've noticed when looking at the N20 manual on the Navman site tonight is that the smart ST 2006 SE software supplied has a minimum requirment of windows 2K or XP. My home PC has only has windows ME, has anyone on here managed to use the software on ME or will I be forced into the PC upgrade that I've been putting off for ages! I could always use my company laptop with XP I suppose but I'm probably not officially suppossed to add any personal software to it....
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Wink to the Forum

Thanks for the additional information. I look forward to getting mine soon - the N20 that is.

As to your OS (WinME), I suffered that software for about three years before I upgraded. It was the most unstable system that I have ever encountered and if you have to upgrade, and can afford it then do it - you already have experience of XP but if you wait for a couple of months then perhaps Vista is for you.
ChrisSA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cook1e: I went to Costco Tuesday, and saw the list too - i think i was on the bottom of page 3 (though the first 1.5 pages were for the 530!). Hopefully today's delivery will include me.

Re: WinME, would suggest buying an OEM version of XP, along with some form of hardware to tie the OEM license to (be it more momory, new mouse etc).
ChrisSA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went into Costco today to get some shopping, and asked the guy at collections if they were in yet, and could I have mine. Eventually found my name, and he asked if I had been called.
His collegue then looked at my receipt, saw I'd been waiting since Tue, and gave me a unit.

Speed Cam database loads OK too.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisSA wrote:
Went into Costco today to get some shopping, and asked the guy at collections if they were in yet, and could I have mine. Eventually found my name, and he asked if I had been called.
His collegue then looked at my receipt, saw I'd been waiting since Tue, and gave me a unit.

Speed Cam database loads OK too.

Which branch was that?

Good news that the PGPSW POIs load successfully. Members will be glad to know that. Wink
ChrisSA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading.
roog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a 530 (or probably an N20) from Costco Reading on Wednesday. I phoned them today and was told that it would be next week at the earliest. Apparantly they're working down the A4 list on a first come first served basis. Shame, it would have come in useful this weekend :-(
ChrisSA
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're local, go in.

I was fobbed off by that on Wednesday. Yesterday I just popped in.
BigStuart
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my icn530 in Costco Glasgow on Monday morning... They were flying off the shelves! I was back there today for other stuff, and they were handing out N20 models at the checkouts... no waiting list. Just in case anyone's within travelling distance!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: