Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Power via cigarette lighter problem - weird!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Power via cigarette lighter problem - weird!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mat_22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Power via cigarette lighter problem - weird!! Reply with quote

I've just purchased a "Garmin StreetPilot C510 Deluxe" Sat Nav and i'm over the moon with it. :D

The only problem is - I can't get any power from my car cigarette lighter to the Sat Nav! It's strange because my actual cigarette lighter works (i.e. it gets hot) but when I use the adapter (that came with the Sat Nav) - i get no power whatsoever!

I've tried checking the adapter in my girlfriends car and it works fine. So it must be my cigarette lighter thats dodgy.....

The only way I can charge up my Sat Nav at the moment is by using the USB cable from my PC.

Has anybody else had this problem? If i were to just replace my cigarette lighter would this solve the problem - or would the electrical wiring need to be seen to? Any idea on how much this would cost if I took it to a garage?

Any help of info would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks,
Matt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your 'cig' lighter may be seating properly but not your charger because of ash/dirt etc.

Insert your hcrager connector, push down gently and twist left and right several times. It worked for me on mine.
rod123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem with Garmin Car Power adaptors. I traced it to the fact that the Garmin plug is slightly too big for the socket. It was pushing the contacts out of the way so that next time it was plugged in it couldn't make contact. I got round the problem by using a 2-way adaptor. It fits into the socked okay and has a slightly bigger socket for the Garmin adaptor.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rod123 wrote:
I've had this problem with Garmin Car Power adaptors. I traced it to the fact that the Garmin plug is slightly too big for the socket. It was pushing the contacts out of the way so that next time it was plugged in it couldn't make contact. I got round the problem by using a 2-way adaptor. It fits into the socked okay and has a slightly bigger socket for the Garmin adaptor.

or you can use a Motorola V3 mobile phone car charger. They have the same connector and power. I use one instead of the supplied adapter as it also has a curly cord and is far neater. I one i have is the tesco own which is about £3-4 and it works with full volume and brightness. You should be aware that some of the other cheaper ones don't have anough oomph and the i3 can switch off when set to full volume and brightness(easily solved by reducing brightness and volume down to 3)
mat_22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Your 'cig' lighter may be seating properly but not your charger because of ash/dirt etc.

Insert your hcrager connector, push down gently and twist left and right several times. It worked for me on mine.

Just tried giving it a quick clean and finally got it working - thanks!!

Its very temperamental though - the power does keep cutting off randomly and I do have to keep twisting and turning the connector to get it working. (I might consider getting a new cigarette lighter installed - the one I currently have is pretty old and used....)

rod123 - same here. My charger does fit in to the socket - but not very securely.

Thanks for all the help guys..
Matt
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Its very temperamental though - the power does keep cutting off randomly and I do have to keep twisting and turning the connector to get it working.
I found the same thing but carry on as you are doing and give it a little twist each time it goes off and after several journeys you should find it behaves itself. :P
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The charger is designed to fit in a DIN socket rather than a lighter socket. Honest there is a dimentional difference. problem with a cool box i have in some cars, butthe garmin charger is good as i have a DIN socket

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: