Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HP IPAQ HW6910 and TomTom 5
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HP IPAQ HW6910 and TomTom 5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janus

Typical TomTom response! I'm not familiar with the iPaq 6965, but the pre-installed TomTom5 worked flawlessly on my iPaq 6910, and the new TT6 is perfect too once I fixed the registry. The fix is simple if you follow my instructions to the letter - and hopefully it'll work on your 6965 too (assuming it's got a built-in GPS unit!).

To answer your question, yes, you need a registry editor. The standard iPaq's File Explorer is so poor that you'll find the Resco Explorer pretty essential to your PPC if you want to take control of your files - and it comes with the registry editor as part of the purchase. Initially use the trial version from Handango or somewhere - though it's so good you'll end up buying it! Note the registry editor has a separate installer, so don't just install the Explorer!

So, having installed Resco Registry, click Start,Programs,Resco Registry and locate the reg. key - go to MyRegistry,HKEY_LOCAL MACHINE,System,CurrentControlSet,GPS Intermediate Driver. Click on Intermediate Driver and it'll have four entries - Drivers, Multiplexer,(Default) and IsEnabled. Click IsEnabled and change the 1 to 0 (in the DWORD box). Click Done, and exit the registry editor.

Do a soft reset, and start up TomTom. If you've done it correctly, you'll now have access to the inbuilt GPS unit - though you still can't select another, external, GPS unit (see my previous posting for that!).

A word of caution though - messing with the registry can cause major problems if you get it wrong, to the extent that your iPaq might not work - ALWAYS do a backup before altering anything! Reinstating the backup will return it to its previous state. If you've not already got any backup software, get SPB Backup before you do anything - download a trial at Handango. You should be making regular backups as a matter of course... but that's another subject!

Let me know how you get on!

Niknac
Janus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I succeeded to make the changes with Resco.

What should the:

GPS program port
GPS hardware port, and
Baud rate setting

be for Navigator 5?

Should the manage GPS automatically be checked?

Best regards, Janus
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janus

I'm not given any options in TomTom using the internal GPS unit on my iPaq 6910, so it's not an issue for me. But, if your TomTom is asking for the GPS to be configured try setting the GPS port to NONE and GPS hardware port to COM1 with baud rate of 57600. This should probably work.

If it doesn't, my Memory-Map Navigator works with the internal GPS set at - Manufacturer: NMEA, Port: COM7 Internal AGPS NMEA, Baud rate: 4800. You could try that. Otherwise, you'll be spending a couple of hours in the garden tomorrow using the age-old technique called 'trial and error'!

Good luck, and please let me know what settings finally worked!

NikNac
Janus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks NikNac, I will certainly let you know, probably over the week-end.

I remember when I had the TomTom installed on my Ipaq 3950 under "Show GPS status", the small wheel in the upper right corner was turning. This is not the case here and in the left corner is written "No GPS device!". Is the wheel supposed to turn and this text only to disappear when I have found the right comport and baud rate?

Best regards, Janus
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Janus

On my iPaq 6910 I have the 'wheel' turning, and the text 'No valid GPS signal' when indoors. When I have reception, the wheel still turns but the text disappears.

On my old iPaq 5550 it shows the wheel stationary and the text 'No GPS device' when it's not connected up to a GPS unit. I then connect my old Navman GPS sleeve, and the wheel starts turning. So I guess you need to get that wheel turning!

NikNac
Johnboy1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

hum, I guess I started a new topic by mistake, but here is my problem which may be similar to others already posted:

as you can tell I am a brand new user of a HW6910 with built-in GPS and pre-installed TomTom5 software with absolutely no experience.

When I got it, I installed the free Map for my region, downloaded the QuickGPS Update and started the GPS software. Everything seemed to be fine, but ---- I only get the message "connecting with the GPS receiver", and thats it. Whatever I tried, I cannot get the connection, even outside the building with free view to the sky. So far the HP Hotline was of no help, they asked me to install a new ROM-Update for the PDA. At the end, they even gave me a brand-new device, but the problem is the same.

I read the communications about making changes to the registry, which obviously I cannot access as I do not have the software. Is that the only way to fix it (and why the h.... does it seem to be set wrongly by HP or TomTom), or did anyone have the same problem and can offer an easy fix?

Thanks in advance
foxbat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Johnboy1000"]Hi,

as you can tell I am a brand new user of a HW6910 with built-in GPS and pre-installed TomTom5 software with absolutely no experience.

When I got it, I installed the free Map for my region, downloaded the QuickGPS Update and started the GPS software. Everything seemed to be fine, but ---- I only get the message "connecting with the GPS receiver", and thats it. Whatever I tried, I cannot get the connection, even outside the building with free view to the sky. So far the HP Hotline was of no help, they asked me to install a new ROM-Update for the PDA. At the end, they even gave me a brand-new device, but the problem is the same.

I read the communications about making changes to the registry, which obviously I cannot access as I do not have the software. Is that the only way to fix it (and why the h.... does it seem to be set wrongly by HP or TomTom), or did anyone have the same problem and can offer an easy fix?

Well, there are 2 solutions:
1. TT ofer for FREE upgrade to version 6 for 69xx users ( search on the HP site )

2. Come on, it is very easy to find an program for editing registry ( ex-resco explorer ( ver 5.31 )

Just read the info on the site and the rest it is self explaing.

Good luck
nishv
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How often do I need to update this Assisted Files? I am thinking of getting a 6915 But I am not a fan of downloding sutff via GPRS...

I have used an external BT Receiver with my XDA IIi and never had a problem with signal... Whats with this assisted files? How many GPS channels does 6915 has?
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The assisted files remain valid for just over 2 days. They are tiny files, and download quickly over GPRS - it costs me 7 pence. They also update over the internet, so when you're connected to ActiveSync or on a wireless network it's "free". The assisted files make GPS connections so quick and accurate that it's foolish not to use them! Read the Quick GPS Connection help files before using GPS for the first time - it's best to first fire up GPS in a big open area while you're stationary.

I said in an earlier posting that if you're setting the GPS manually you might try a baud rate of 4800 - well, I'm now using 256000 and it works well. The inbuilt GPS receiver is way better than any external units I've tried.

My 6910 is excellent, but I wish I had more RAM. I've loaded as many programs as possible onto the storage card (2gb) but I'm still tight for space. The new iPaq 6945 has 128mb RAM and might be worth holding out for - available USA only right now but sure to come to UK soon. I've had problems with software that's either for WinMob2003, or none-sq screen compatible, and this has caused me to hard-reset and rebuild a couple of times. I'd say the 6910 is rather unstable compared to my old iPaq 5500, and I've had a few big crashes and hangs that really annoys me - hence the rebuilds. But after being very selective, and making SPB backups at each stage of the rebuild, I've got it spot-on now and it's superb!

The free TomTom 6 upgrade is good if you can find it - takes ages to search for so here's a link: (http://www.ipaqchoice.com/Generic3.aspx?page=navigation) and works much better than the installed TT5. I'm using TT6 for vehicle navigation, and MemoryMap for walking - the Ordnance Survey maps and the MM program are faultless.

Hope all that helps!
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Niknac,
Quick question, i have the internal GPS set at 0, so it works with TT6. I have also revealed the GPS panel using the program port as none and the hardware port as COM1. When I start TT6, it still communicated with the the internal GPS driver. )

Consequently, I then set the internal GPS to 1 and still TT6 does the same thing. I am not able to select any other GPS options.... Is there something I am doing wrong here? How can I select the other GPS devices (like in TT5)? ... really strange...
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi bond007

You're right - I've been looking at my settings, and I can't change the GPS unit in TT6 either, even with the registry fix. Odd. I have recently installed the latest version of TT6 from the iPaqchoice site, so maybe it's been changed? It hasn't bothered me so far, as I only want to use the inbuilt GPS unit. If anyone finds a fix I'd be interested to know. Sorry I can't help with this one.
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niknac,
No probs, another question, can you recall what the default settings are for the program port and the hardware port? I think it is COM7 for the hardware port?
Thx
niknac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Default settings for iPaq 6910 Messenger -
GPS program port: GPD1
GPS hardware port: COM7
Baud Rate: 57600
Manage GPS Automatically - ticked
bond007
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, and thanks!
Branners
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 6910 and for testing purposes Im just running the single map with the preinstalled Tom Tom.

The device is also set up for mobile active sync with the company Exchange servers and they have enforced a security pin to be able to get in to the machine.

When Im driving along the security PIN keeps coming on and so I cant use the GPS without tapping the screen every 5 minutes.

Anybody know any way to get round this problem? Best to assume I cant get the company to change the security settings on the Exchange server...

thanks
JB

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: