Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver Available In Europe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It states for the Go-X10 range, so I doubt you will get this working with the earlier models. There is no hardware i.e. connector of the correct type on the earlier units. - Mike
coblator
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acording to the information i got from pdaonline the tomtom rds reciever does not work with 300 500 or 700 and i do believe only certain phones work with the tomtom mabe check out a few friends phones to see which ones work i use a ericson 600i with mine but mine is a tomtom710 but when i got it in the instructions it said only certain phones work with it also pdaonline have in stock the tomtom rds reciever
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like been shafted by Tom Tom again

I have to buy a new TomTom at big expensive or forget Traffic
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trigger wrote:

Trigger wrote:
Has any one tried it on the 300,500 or 700 yet

It would be intrested to see if it works

As I have had new works phone and it does not work with Tom Tom

Thanks
Having a phone that doesn't work with their product hardly equates to being shafted by TomTom. Why not use your old phone?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
Trigger
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I can't use my old phone is that it was taken off me by work
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trigger wrote:

Shafted ?? How so ??

I think a bit of reality is called for here.

The TomTom website clearly states in several places the RDS TMC receiver is for use with Go 510-710-910 units.

And is it really a TomTom issue that you have had a phone that worked with their GPS units changed for one that doesn't by the company you work for ??
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to interrupt the slanging-match boys, but I now have in my posession a genuine (apparently) TomTom RDS/TMC receiver purchased from a geezer in Germany, via Amazon.co.uk Marketplace, for £48.15 including delivery. :D

However, before I open it and spend the next six months cursing TomTom in this very forum, has anyone else got one that can confirm the version number on the tag on the cable. Mine says 4V00.000 which, even to my little brain, looks like an early version.

Cheap for a reason, I always say....
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see if a foreign one works - will it have the UK licence for Itis on it.
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I couldn't wait.

Just took a drive round rural Berkshire and, although the device was connected and recognised, it picked up absolutuely nothing in the space of about an hour. Not even a green dot and certainly no indication of what it was trying to tune to. There's no documentation with it so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Quote:
will it have the UK licence for Itis on it

It has the full list of countries to choose from - none are greyed out - but I left it to find the best signal. I would have been happy if it had found a signal :x

The packaging has an EU symbol on it and last time I looked the UK was (sadly) a member state. All the packaging is in English first and there's no suggestion that it will only work in Germany.
paulc1976
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The german ones do work in Britain fine, mine is German and I used it last week, theres only 1 station actually broadcasts traffic information to it: Classic FM, although it can pick up lots of other stations, none of them Broadcast traffic info.
I used it on a journey from my home to the isle of wight 200 miles away.
Reception was patchy, got Classic FM for about 70% of the total journey
It impossible to receive it where I live, I started picking it up near Newport Shrops which is about 20 miles from my house, it kept reception all through Birmingham onto the M40 then A34, near Winchester it lost reception but regained it near Southampton and stayed on into the isle of wight.
Its a pity i doesnt have a connection for a car aerial as i think this would solve many of the reception problems
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem - used it for about a week now, 3 hours a day, and only once has it worked. To be honest I am on the verge of returning it.

B0dger67 wrote:
Well, I couldn't wait.

Just took a drive round rural Berkshire and, although the device was connected and recognised, it picked up absolutuely nothing in the space of about an hour. Not even a green dot and certainly no indication of what it was trying to tune to. There's no documentation with it so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Quote:
will it have the UK licence for Itis on it

It has the full list of countries to choose from - none are greyed out - but I left it to find the best signal. I would have been happy if it had found a signal :x

The packaging has an EU symbol on it and last time I looked the UK was (sadly) a member state. All the packaging is in English first and there's no suggestion that it will only work in Germany.
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I was lucky but mine has worked fine 100% every time i've used it, receives classic fm in about 3 seconds of turning it on, after 30 seconds, max it has found all regional news ect.

:D
jamiepyoung
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only just got the new mount (today) and haven't used it yet. I'm hoping that that will help - maybe it kept disconnecting with the old mount.

What do you reckon?
lydiachris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might make a difference, although you would see the message at the top right of the screen which says "tomtom tmc rds receiver disconnected"

Let us know. Strange mine works fine, ok, occasionally it receives stations which do not broadcast tmc data i.e. BBC Radio 4 but thats only for about 10 seconds, it then finds classic fm again.

I've found switching between radio frequenciess does not interfere with the info.

It's all working fine for me, i'll have to try and get a relative to use ut abroad to see how it performs over seas.
B0dger67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Reception was patchy, got Classic FM for about 70% of the total journey

Can you tell me - does the green circle appear at the top of the traffic bar when using this and does it display the station it gets the data from? I haven't seen mine do either yet.

TomTom tell me (on the phone!) that there is no country-specific licencing, no earlier or later product revisions and no special configuration to do. The opinion was that if I can't get a signal there must be a fault.

I think the key is the aerial design: If the data is only transmitted every 15 minutes (for instance) then if your signal is too weak to pick up one transmission you will have to wait another 15 mins for the next one. However, the way I read the ITIS site suggests that TMC is broadcast as a continuous stream which makes a lot more sense, and I quote...

Quote:
TMC services are continuous and presented directly to the driver, unlike occasional roadside information services such as variable message signs or scheduled radio traffic bulletins.

Right now I'm feeling like a very earlier adopter...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 6 of 22

Jump to: