Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Newbold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a brief note to say thanks very much indeed for all the very useful information I've picked up in here as a lurker over the last few weeks.

It was enormously useful to me in deciding what to buy, and I'm over the moon with the Nuvi 310D package from Halfords which I finally went for. The full Euopean mapping, the bluetooth and the Trafficmaster made this an incrdibly good deal for £299, as against £219 I was going to spend on the 300.

In case it's of interest, I tried out the TMC yesterday on a journey from Lincoln to Colchester (using the 6025 charger which came with the unit). No signal for the first part of the journey, as expected, though I thought I'd get something beyond Newark. From a few miles south of Peterborough, all the rest of the way, though, no problems at all. Worked very well in fact. May well be just a matter of better signal strength in the South, as has been suggested.

I'm more than pleased with the Halfords Nuvi 310D package. Can't fault the unit (though it's worth watching that Halfords don't send you a unit that's already been used - I see someone else had this problem as well). My only quibble (and that's entirely down to the car) is that the unit won't fix to the dashboard without first gluing on the disc provided with the Nuvi so that the suction pad will stick to it. I think the car would become a bit of a target with a permanently fixed Garmin disc on display all the time. As I say, that's no fault of Garmin, and I imagine that in many cars you can fix the Nuvi straight on to the dashboard without having to glue the disc on first.

Thanks again for all the help.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glue what disc?

The units I tried and tested have all had a sucker for the windscreen.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
Glue what disc?
The units I tried and tested have all had a sucker for the windscreen.
You do get a dashboard fitment self adhesive disk in the box, this is used as a surface to mount the normal suction mount to. It sticks with a vengeance, if Garmin could get that glue in a bottle the makers of Super Glue would have some competition - it simply doesn't come off!

Newbold, did your 310D come with a free 256MB SD card as they appear to be shipping with these in the box, yet another reason to say very good value for money, OK if you want the whole of Europe loaded you need a 2GB card, but the supplied 256MB is great for the odd trips away, or putting some mp3's on the unit - Mike
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true - forgot about the disk - my misunderstanding...
Newbold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="mikealder"]
Laughing Out Louda wrote:

Newbold, did your 310D come with a free 256MB SD card as they appear to be shipping with these in the box, yet another reason to say very good value for money, OK if you want the whole of Europe loaded you need a 2GB card, but the supplied 256MB is great for the odd trips away, or putting some mp3's on the unit - Mike

Yes, it did come with the free 256mb SD card. Unbranded, but I'm sure it will be fine for the job. The way these cards are coming down in price, it will soon only be £10 or so for the 2GB needed for the full mapping. It was a nice little bonus, though.
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: GTM12 Signal Update Reply with quote

Hi,

I've previously reported since June that GTM12 signal stops after Tibshelf Service M1 J28 and as you go into Yorkshire around Leeds area there is never any signal at all and even the traffic icon is greyed out. Well I'm not sure why, but the signal now works fine so I can only deduce the radio station signal strength has been increased.

Anyway it's good news as I'm always on the M1 in this area so should help with the winter months coming with normal congestion and chaos to come.
Flashyphotos
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi,

I've previously reported since June that GTM12 signal stops after Tibshelf Service M1 J28 and as you go into Yorkshire around Leeds area there is never any signal at all and even the traffic icon is greyed out. Well I'm not sure why, but the signal now works fine so I can only deduce the radio station signal strength has been increased.

Anyway it's good news as I'm always on the M1 in this area so should help with the winter months coming with normal congestion and chaos to come.

The station offering the service had its TMC server down for about 7 weeks for repair

Its now working again and filling the gap fairly well
hannick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Bristol to Cambridge Reply with quote

My first long trip with the GTM-12. Odd thing was that for the first hour I couldn't get a signal at all, despite being in an area I know the signal works. I had left the nuvi running on battery for 15 mins before left left, so perhaps the fact that the charger was needing it's power to charge the unit took the power the GTM12 needed to work.

Once I got a signal it helped me out on a 4 hour journey. It correctly warned of a holdup on the A5 which I chose to sit through anyway.

I still have my Trafficmaster device in the car so had that on as well and the GTM was in sync with the usual Traffimaster signals although I have to say I do like the reassuring "beep" I get from the Trafficmaster unit to tell me it has received an updated signal.

One thng I noticed was that if there was a jam on the other carriageway, the Garmin showd the jam with it's yellow line on that side of the road.

Does the unit show on it's display which side of the road the jam is on?

Another thing I experienced for the first time was that I was following the units chosen route when on two occasions it said "better route available" or something like that. I guessed it decided there was a better route it would like me to take, but as this was not traffic related I presume it's first chosen route wasn't the best one in the first place. Odd.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The traffic is displayed on whichever side of the road has the traffic problem. This applies to all map screens (3D, 2D, route summary, traffic map etc.)

Yes, the unit is constantly checking for a better route - this may be based on traffic, on the unit simply finding a better route than the first, or based on the average speeds for different road types resulting in a faster route now appearing.
SafetyEngineer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a Nuvi 310 D from Halfords today, very nice, the traffic reciever worked as advertised, I'm in Chelmsford Essex, and I'm getting traffic info for the A12, M25, A406, A10, A13 & A1 so all seems ok will report later on, if only I can get the handsfree working Grrr.
torchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: nuvi 310D GTM12 traffic problems Reply with quote

Has anybody had traffic info in Scotland ? I Use the A90 from Perth to Aberdeen every day and have yet to receive one message! Using latest power lead & suppressors as supplied by garmin. The unit locks on to Classic fm with a signal strength of 8-14 but no info. Any help would be appreciated.
ATTILA9000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drive up and down the east coast of Scotland regularly using M90/A90.When travelling south,traffic always appears about 5 miles south of Perth and stays all the time I am in the Edinburgh area.I haven't been able to try it out on the west coast yet.
torchie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTILA9000 wrote:
I drive up and down the east coast of Scotland regularly using M90/A90.When travelling south,traffic always appears about 5 miles south of Perth and stays all the time I am in the Edinburgh area.I haven't been able to try it out on the west coast yet.
Thanks for the prompt reply, it would be of interest to hear if anyone has received info north of Perth as this is served by the Angus transmitter, and I wonder if there is no tmc service from this site.
bopmachine
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the 310D and love it. I also have the newer charger for the unit. GTM only worked spotty at best while in london and on th m24. I got the USB ciggerate lighter adapter linked earlier and now it works everytime for me. My signal strength has gone from 6-7 to 9 now.
pandamedic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed garmin about my cable the other week, and got a reply in about 4 days saying they are sending me a new cable etc etc and the bods in the USA are working on it and to give him a shout after the new year to see how the progress is going.

Got the new charger for it about 2 days aftet their email. The number on the cable is: 022455

Plugged it in and traffic works fine 1st time everytime.

However, there seems to be reception problems around the rugeley/stafford areas, as this week i've been driving up there everyday. Loads of pages of traffic from home, and then i hit stafford and it stops and doesn't work again until i'm half way home when i start to get pages of traffic around. So must be a signal problem up there at the moment

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 36 of 44

Jump to: