Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - More missing Cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

More missing Cameras
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pete318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The A406 Northbound A118 / A12 junction still doesn't seem quite right. It has one camera too many. I'll pop on the new DB as I am going by that way later and confirm which ones should be kept.. Unless someone else already definately has that info Smile

Also I subbed a couple of monitrons on Aldersbrook road (Wanstead) around 3 weeks ago which haven't turned up yet.... I can take pics of the blasted things if ya like ;)
IcarusR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed a number of warnings of camers on the M1 that do not exist. Can not get exact co-ordinates as I drive a truck & is impossible to do.
Having said that it is better to be warned falsly than not at all where there is one.
Perhapse if inacuracies continue the free offer should be reviewed.

IcarusR
pete318
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IcarusR wrote:
I have noticed a number of warnings of camers on the M1 that do not exist. Can not get exact co-ordinates as I drive a truck & is impossible to do.
Having said that it is better to be warned falsly than not at all where there is one.

IcarusR
You don't need to get the exact co-ordinates. Just make sure there are definately not ANY cameras where it says. Make a note of something you can recognise later (if there are only false alerts between 2 junctions then that's fine).. Look at the map on this site later and fine the cameras. Once you're 100% sure it's those cameras that shouldn't be there, submit a remove request for the camera ID (the number when you click on the camera on the map) a quick note about the removal and submit the request Smile
sdesign
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the TomTom database more accurate? Trying to decide which one I should be using and threads like this don't give me much confidence. TTs database is only EUR 39.95 (about £27) for the year so there's not much in it money-wise.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pete318 wrote:
IcarusR wrote:

IcarusR
You don't need to get the exact co-ordinates. Just make sure there are definately not ANY cameras where it says. Make a note of something you can recognise later (if there are only false alerts between 2 junctions then that's fine).. Look at the map on this site later and fine the cameras. Once you're 100% sure it's those cameras that shouldn't be there, submit a remove request for the camera ID (the number when you click on the camera on the map) a quick note about the removal and submit the request Smile

Also make sure that the "false cameras" are not mobiles and that there is no bridge or "police perch" as these will alert you but will often not be there.
poacher
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks for your observations

However,

Recently supplied (long before this month's first update!) an OV file containing two new Temp Gatso Cameras that now greet visitors to Cornwall on the A30 for the duration of some roadworks over the Dunheved Bridge (country boundary)

File dutifully accepted and thanked profusely for my contribution

Latest download of database = no cameras at locations supplied 8O (thank heavens I checked before deleting my own 'Cameras' POI file!)

Anybody any idea why these cameras may not have been included - they were still there yesterday and working wonderfully Question

Doubt I am alone in submissions of this nature

Like others, getting a little disheartened - this is not the first time my efforts have appeared in vain - perhaps I should go back to living off the efforts of others

?? Why are valid submissions from 'respected' users (long before free membership!!) apparently not acted upon - am aware of the debates about 'approved' submitters, but there does appear to be a need to do something to maintain credibility

Retiring to hole in hillside to await incoming flak !! Smile
lupos0_1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sdesign wrote:
Is the TomTom database more accurate? Trying to decide which one I should be using and threads like this don't give me much confidence. TTs database is only EUR 39.95 (about £27) for the year so there's not much in it money-wise.

The database here is widely regarded as being far superior. PGPSW release the database at least monthly, last month it was fortnightly and this month we have already had two releases. I am not sure how often the TT database gets updated but would be very surprised if it was more often.

As well as this, you have thousands of members contributing to this database either confirming positions or removing old ones every month. This would be far too costly for TT to do (if they had to employ these people).

Lastly, if you submit the first 'new' camera position to the database, you may be entitled to free lifetime membership! This would be very 'cheap' Wink
Latest Maps
(Internal GPS)
BMW330
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
They have said in previous posts that:
1 ) the reason for delays in getting new cameras or changes on the D.Base is the time taken to validate them.
2 ) that they added a whole lot of mobile sites on recently that were un-verified; and when asked why, said "isn't it better to know about them than not?" or words to that effect.

Surely the solution is obvious: Add a new class of camera called "unverified" and get users to help validate them? That way, the information is available to everyone faster, and members can also help sort the wheat from the chaff...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: