Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Appalling TomTom Support (again)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Appalling TomTom Support (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrfixitintheuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: tom tom service or lack of it Reply with quote

ok so everybody is p*****d of with tom tom and their general atitude towards existing cutomers, so while not condoning it I can understand why some people buy copies from ebay or some other supply probably out of pure frustration at trying to get a genuine copy working properly.[/u]
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite. But as andygrove says we are not using, or intending to use, pirated/cracked copies - we just want to use the software we have purchased and have a right to use.
Rayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to add my woes to this sorry tail. I decided to change my ageing HP4700 with a brand spanking Hw5915. Having been a full price purchaser of TT since V 3 I fully expected to have to provide some form of proof that my current TT5 and maps would only be used on one device. NO SUCH LUCK. After emailing support I got a brief reply qouteing the "non transferrable" stuff. Fair enough, bite the bullet I thought, I will download the free city map that comes with a new Hw5915 then having a new device code order some new UK maps from TomTom Plus. Well they took my money, confirmed by email that the transaction was complete but NO DOWNLOAD EMAIL...... I have checked in my TT plus account and it says "No Maps". I have emailed support but I suspect that due to the fact that the only map I now have working on my new device is the free one that I will get a reply stating I cant order TT plus Maps cause I dont "own" any origional maps on my new device.

I am fully aware that TT need to protect their software but this has made me really question their customer service stance. If I dont get a satisfactory reply I will call them as this is bordering on breaching my consumer rights..

Sorry if this has been a bit of a rant but I dio feel very ripped off at the Mo. No other software that I have purchsed has given this problem.

Ray G
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent off a message to TT about the replacement I've had to get for my registered XDA Exec. ( Wonder what they'll say when I point out that as the old machine was totally dead, I couldn't uninstall the software from it? )

One other thing I found was one half of their registration system doesn't talk to the other. Went on to look for a map for a trip to California I'm doing in November. Turns out that you find out after you buy it that it's coded only to work with one device. Unfortunately the device it's coded to work with is the device I had before the Exec! This shows that when I registered the Exec and it updated the device code in 'My Products' this was NOT passed to the download system! Grrrr

Of course I can't tweak the setting on the download system to match even the latest code they have as it's time limited!

Will see what happens.
PC_Arcade
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I REALLY don't understand why companies incorporate such draconian / irritating restrictions on their customers, it drives legitimate customers to use hassle free alternatives or "cracked" versions of the software.

The ONLY people that suffer with these annoyances are the people who pay for the software and are punished for doing so.

The "pirates" don't have to put up with any of this nonsense.

So TOMTOM (and most other software companies) where's the incentive for people to buy your product when in 9/10 cases the cracked version is better?

(I'm not advocating the use of copied software BTW, just intrigued as to why software companies think that punishing the people who DID pay as opposed to those who didn't is sensible!)
Rayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUst an update, after a couple of email to support they have supplied me with a new code for my new machine.

This is a result for me but I cant help thinking that it shouldnt really have been that difficult
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendlemac

Did you get your situation resolved? I also changed my PDA a few months ago and I am planning a trip to California next year and will also want to download those maps.
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
Rayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HowardUK, No I didnt get the download map issue resolved ( still working on that) Howver they did give me an unlock code for my origional TT5 Mpas that I had on CD. I will let you know how/when the download map issue is resolved. I am not so concered about that caise it is cut and dried, ie I paid for some maps, I have the emailed invoice from TomTom but still no access to a downloadable Map. The ball is firmly back in theoir court.
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howarduk wrote:
pendlemac

Did you get your situation resolved? I also changed my PDA a few months ago and I am planning a trip to California next year and will also want to download those maps.

If you go to the PLUS services page while logged into TomTom you can get to the 'Change My Device' page. Click through to the second page and you will find a box showing your current device code with posibility of changing it if not time limited. I think that if you don't change the code on this page at the same time as getting the new activation code you may end up locked. Try it and see anyway.

Regarding the new activation code for my replacement XDA. I've sent in a scan of the exchange receipt as this is the only document I have because the insurance claim was done over the phone with no paperwork for me to fill in. Now waiting for TT support to get back to me and say if I need additional documents from the insurer.
Howarduk
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pendlemac

Thanks very much for the info. I had already put the new PDA and code number onto that page. I shall just have to see if I can access the maps using code for TT5 GB maps when I download the California maps. This is presuming of course I dont buy TT6 with new codes and I can use TT6 California maps with TT5.
Lots of ifs and buts I know but from what I have read on these forums I think it might be possible to use TT6 maps on TT5 software. Ah well.........time will tell. Confused

Howard
Active Synch 4.5
MohairSofa Calendar+Today Plug-in Ver.2.5.2
Softwinter Storage Tools Ver.2.0 ppc 420
Pocket Informant 9.01 build2390
Sprite Back up Ver 6.5.4 build 16
Rayg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

I have received an answer from TT re my missing Maps under TT plus. Thye have siad if you purchase a map using a "discount Voucher" it will not apprear under your TT plus maps selection. There was a screw up in therir database in my case cause I got a free city map with my HP Hw 6915 and then bought a full price map of the UK. It seems to me that if you make ANY purchase with a free voucher and then add a ful price map later the full price one will not appear.

All I had to do was email the order number and they fixed the TT plus maps selection to show my full price map.

One other suggestion I would make for future reference, keep the support emails short and sweet. I had mentoned this TT plus issue in the body of 3 other reports along with other issues but it was only fixed when I submitted it on ots own ticket report.

Ray G
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an update on my original issue:

I have currently given up with this, as to add insult to injury I am afraid that my second XDA exec gave up the ghost too - so in a way I am glad that I had the problems with TT.

I feel very frustrated with TT on this, as to get TT nav working on my Exec has been an absolute nightmare.

At the end of the day, I have been a customer of TT since Version 2, but am now rethinking it.
pendlemac
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now beginning to think I'm the luckiest bloke in the world!

Why?

Because I got the code to re-activate the Western Europe maps tonight and the Californian one came straight up. It appeared to have been blocked by the failure to activate the main maps. ( They twaeked the code on the dowload page during the week, but the coode from ttcode.com didn't appear to work. )

Given that I only sent the exchange reciept it looks like that with you guys keeping up the pressure they're finally learning. :D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: