Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2]
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom security pin - worthwhile? [one GB v2]
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoopboy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: OK no need to be ars*y Reply with quote

Well when you go shopping or to your natural history POI and you obviously take your TT out of the car where do you put it? Do you have a securicor van following you to hold it until you return?

I guess not, you put it in a pocket or a bag...because we know you aren't going to be daft enough to put it in the boot in the middle of a car park where scumbag is waiting and watching....

So it's in your bag/coat and for that split second you take your eyes off it...theres no pin on your device so well done you have just oiled the wheels of crime...nice job tumbleweed...(pat on the back) Exclamation
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: OK no need to be ars*y Reply with quote

snoopboy wrote:
Well when you go shopping or to your natural history POI and you obviously take your TT out of the car where do you put it? Do you have a securicor van following you to hold it until you return?

I guess not, you put it in a pocket or a bag...because we know you aren't going to be daft enough to put it in the boot in the middle of a car park where scumbag is waiting and watching....

So it's in your bag/coat and for that split second you take your eyes off it...theres no pin on your device so well done you have just oiled the wheels of crime...nice job tumbleweed...(pat on the back) Exclamation

recall all the fuss about the stolen phone register and how that would make phone theft a thing of the past? And also consider that all mobiles have the ability to have PINs on them. Well, mobile phone crime is 'spiraling out of control' according to the BBC today.

FWIW, all that will happen, if first oik who steals it cant use the GPS device, is that he will sell it for less than he could have got to someone else who will know how to get around it. Or, by having a PIN, you are encouraging some careless people to leave them unattended because they'll think its 'safe' as its got a PIN. So, I could argue you are increasing the number of people likely to have their phones nicked, plus the number involved in phone theft, plus indeed encouraging the growth of a market in removing PINs. (thats just as silly an argument as yours :-)

The ONLY way to stop your TT being nicked is to keep it with you. Do that, and it doesnt need a PIN. Only a stolen TT needs a PIN, and then it 'needs' a PIN that cant be removed, not one that can be bypassed in 30 seconds.

tw
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ye Gods and little fishes!
I reckon it's time to call a halt to this thread - you're both dead right and I don't know which of you is righter. But it's pretty obvious you'll neither of you change your minds.
I shall continue to remove my TomTom700 each time I stop and worry about the longevity of the fixing spring. But I don't remove the windscreen mount and will save a further worry about jiggering that up and will get another worry about Scally doing the window to check I haven't left TT in the glovebox!!
Wen I wur a lad, tha cud leeve thi door unlocked an nobdy ud go in.
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Lazy Reply with quote

Tumbleweed wrote:

I'd rather the scumbags didnt have me entering a PIN to no effect, they already have me removing the unit and the mount, which is approximately (I guess) several tens of thousand times more useful than entering a PIN.

Tw

What?
In that case why bother locking your car or house up? People can get round these measures easily enough too, but I bet you do them!
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Just Lazy Reply with quote

Dixie68 wrote:
Tumbleweed wrote:

I'd rather the scumbags didnt have me entering a PIN to no effect, they already have me removing the unit and the mount, which is approximately (I guess) several tens of thousand times more useful than entering a PIN.

Tw

What?
In that case why bother locking your car or house up? People can get round these measures easily enough too, but I bet you do them!

Do you not see the difference between locking your house or car(significantly discouarges theft) and putting a PIN in toa TT (doesnt discourage theft at all?)

Let me spell it out for you, removing TT from car prevents theft of TT(and break in to car), entering PIN doesnt, at all, in anyway, whatsoever, not a bit.

I'd be quite happy to do an experiment with you if you arent convinced. We each park our cars, next to each other, in a car park in Liverpool. You leave your TT on display, but with PIN entered, I'll take my TT away, (but with no PIN entered). Then leave and come back 8 hours later to see whose TT is stolen. Up for it? :-)

Tw
Dixie68
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about another experiment where 2 TT's are removed from their cars but found by thieving scum, one with a pin and one without. If some light-fingered scrote only has the time to take one, which one do you think he'll take? The one where he'll have to mess around with to get working or the one where he doesn't have to do a thing?
Of course you should remove it from your car! But saying it's useless is ridiculous.
If you don't want to use it then fine, don't use it. I use it because it takes a few seconds out of my day and doesn't do any harm and may (emphasis on 'may') do some good.
It's not perfect but it is there to use, as is writing your postcode on it with a UV pen.
Quote:
Let me spell it out for you, removing TT from car prevents theft of TT(and break in to car), entering PIN doesnt, at all, in anyway, whatsoever, not a bit.

Removing TT from the car prevents theft? Yes, I would've thought that was blindingly obvious. "Entering a PIN desn't, at all, in any way, whatsoever, not a bit" make it more secure while out of the car? Rubbish!
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen this posted elsewhere so won't claim any credit...

Why not put your address in? So a decent person can hand it back to you?

If you're worried about where you live - all the guy has to do is press "navigate to" then "home" job done.....

Sad
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dixie68 wrote:
How about another experiment where 2 TT's are removed from their cars but found by thieving scum, one with a pin and one without. If some light-fingered scrote only has the time to take one, which one do you think he'll take? The one where he'll have to mess around with to get working or the one where he doesn't have to do a thing?

Well, I dont think the scrote will take the time to switch on each device he nicks, and see which one doesnt have a PIN,do you? He'll only discover that later.

Dixie68 wrote:
Removing TT from the car prevents theft? Yes, I would've thought that was blindingly obvious. "Entering a PIN desn't, at all, in any way, whatsoever, not a bit" make it more secure while out of the car? Rubbish!

Do you know, I cant recall typing the bit about 'make it more secure while out of the car' since I didnt claim that, but if you think about it, it doesn't.

Lets say our scrote really has no clue how to fix it. Instead of selling it for say £25, now he'll sell it for £10 to someone who does have a clue (hence, its no more secure), and now he might even feel the need to go out and nick another one to get enough money for his next fix, whereas in my scrote-friendly society he only needs to nick one!! So, far from me 'oiling the wheels of crime', maybe you are putting an engine on them? :-)

As a real-life test of what actually might happen on this planet, and not the one you live on, where thieves apparently carefully test each device before stealing them, look at what has happened to mobile phone theft since PINs and a stolen phone register were added to cut down mobile phone crime...its actually 'spiralled out of control' (a quote from the BBC from yesterday or the day before).

Tw
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lock up scumbags for a living, and get to talk to them everyday, which does lead to some enlightening insights into their delightful ways.

Most of their crime is opportunist, "Well, the mug had left it on view guv'nor, so he obviously didn't want it!", so putting a pin number in is of absolutely no deterrant value at all. It may give you some satisfaction to know you've made things a bit more difficult for them, but that's all.

Car radios have the same system, but still get nicked - though this has become less common due to the price of car stereo dropping to the point where it's not worth the hassle of nicking them - now there's a thought!

Thieves will nick stuff they have absolutely no use for, and little chance of selling, just because it was unguarded! I know of an archer who had his compound bow nicked while he went to collect his arrows!

One word of warning about setting the "Home" POI to your home address - if you get your car nicked with your TomTom in it, the little sh**s will drive straight to your house to try and burgle it! If you drive to my "Home" you end up at my place of work - the local Prison!

It's best to heed the good old Police advice - don't leave anything valuable on show, lock the car every time you leave it.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kobudera wrote:

One word of warning about setting the "Home" POI to your home address - if you get your car nicked with your TomTom in it, the little sh**s will drive straight to your house to try and burgle it!

That's not a problem if you live in a street lined with houses. The "home" position isn't accurate enough to locate my house out of about 8 others. If you are worried, you could always move "home" a hundred yards up the road (sorry neighbours! Laughing )

Of course if you live in a mansion with no other buildings for miles around, they might just work out where you live! Crying or Very sad
dirtyweeraincloud
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kobudera wrote:
One word of warning about setting the "Home" POI to your home address - if you get your car nicked with your TomTom in it, the little sh**s will drive straight to your house to try and burgle it! If you drive to my "Home" you end up at my place of work - the local Prison!

I don`t see what the big deal is about setting your home address.
If your car is stollen from outsice your house, then does that mean that the thief is going to drive around the block in the stollen car and rob your house?
Just because you lock people up for a living doesn`t give you the right to tar them all with the same brush.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If your car is stollen from outsice your house, then does that mean that the thief is going to drive around the block in the stollen car and rob your house?
Just because you lock people up for a living doesn`t give you the right to tar them all with the same brush.

Sorry, am I missing something here? I would have thought that all scums who steal cars, satnavs or anything else are already well plastered with tar. I'm changing my "Home" to the junction/end of the street.
PaulBt
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread... I'm not getting involved Out of here

but if you set your home as a favourite, it only takes one extra tap for TT to start planning the route. You, obviously don't have to name it as home, you can use "42 Acacia Avenue" or "Tumbleweed's house" instead.

Cheers
Paul
Tumbleweed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulBt wrote:
Interesting thread... I'm not getting involved Out of here

but if you set your home as a favourite, it only takes one extra tap for TT to start planning the route. You, obviously don't have to name it as home, you can use "42 Acacia Avenue" or "Tumbleweed's house" instead.

Cheers
Paul

Thanks for that now I'll have all the scumbags turning up outside my house :-)

On a related subject, mate of mine had his car broken into last night because he left the suction mount stuck on the windscreen (my car, parked 20ft away from it, along with numerous other cars nearby, was untouched, I always remove my TT mount). My car has a clearly visible mobile phone mount (with no phone in it) so the scumbags obviously know the difference and were looking for a GPS unit in his car.

Tw Evil or Very Mad
kobudera
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:

Not quite - what they do is to burgle your house first and nick your car keys, THEN drive off with your car.

dirtyweeraincloud wrote:

Maybe not, but I reckon that after 21 years of working in close contact with criminals in Her Majestys Prisons, I have a pretty good working knowledge of their mentality - save your crusade for people who deserve it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: