Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Appalling TomTom Support (again)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Appalling TomTom Support (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

non-transferable IMO means just that. you can install and register it to one device only.

TT, to be fair, give you the flexbility to re-register your product code against a new device after seven working days and then again after one hundred and eighty days which, again IMO, is very accomodating of them.
gajet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er actually in terms of software liscences, non- transferable ususlly means you can't sell it or give it away to another user once you have finished with it.

for example Microsoft have no problem with you installing Windows onto a new PC, providing you unistall it from the old one.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gpsn3wbie wrote:
non-transferable IMO means just that. you can install and register it to one device only.

TT, to be fair, give you the flexbility to re-register your product code against a new device after seven working days and then again after one hundred and eighty days which, again IMO, is very accomodating of them.

If it really meant that then they wouldn't allow you to rergister after 7 days.

Non transferrable is the ownership of the item, not the device that it's installed on. If it was really only one device and hardware swaps due to malfunction were not allowed, then they would suddenly find a drop in sales from people who understand that hardware fails, and that they would need to buy a new copy once the hardware failed. Surely that's a TT one or similar deevice???
gpsn3wbie
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then re-read the final quote in wrenben's previous post for TTs definition of non-transferable.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which proves my point entirely. You say it's non transferrable - but TT allow us all to register it three times.

Using basic logic that definition CANNOT possibly be right.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrenben wrote:

Bad news from TomTom:
Quote:
If you change your PDA's again and you are unable to provide documents for your previous devices, please be advised, we will not be able to activate your software again

Not great. I had TTN5 installed on two previous devices (before my new HTC TyTN was replaced under warranty) but do not have the proof or purchase for either as one was a gift over two years ago, and the other was purchased in 2002 so forget it! Sad

So it is transferrable between YOUR Pdas as long as you can prove ownership of all your PDAS.

Problem seems to be that it depends on the member of support as to how far you have to go with proving your ownership.

Never mind, seeing as we trade in Tomtom shares quite often, I may try this from a different angle.
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygrove wrote:
So it is transferrable between YOUR Pdas as long as you can prove ownership of all your PDAS.

It would appear so. I challenge anyone to find where this is specifically and unambiguously stated in the licence agreement (EULA). "Non-transferrable" is clearly ambiguous judging by the various responses so far Confused

andygrove wrote:
Problem seems to be that it depends on the member of support as to how far you have to go with proving your ownership.

Yup. To be fair, TomTom have responded very quickly to my emails and have re-activated my software. However, their inability to understand anything that remotely challenges their policy means I now have the stock response "if you disagree with the EULA, please write to the following address..." Laughing ......the point is I don't disagree...I just wamt clarity on what non-transferrable means Rolling Eyes

Oh well, back to pen and paper....whatever that is Exclamation
cageordie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y'know, the issue here is poor business practices that irritate legitimate owners. I don't steal or cheat and I don't like being treated as a dishonest thief by one of my suppliers. This is a strong reason to seak an alternate supplier and that is a major business issue for TomTom.
andygrove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have said there is very true.

What really annoys me, is that if I was trying to install on multiple PDA devices, then I would just go and download a cracked copy - of which there are plenty around. However, I object to that and we are members of FAST and take that very seriously.

The real irritation to me is that I have personally paid for this product, and they are now stopping me using it purely because my hardware died and I had to get another.
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree!
Shonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will tell you a way to end this once and for all for everyong
issue a small claim in court

if people started doing this with activation problems
they would soon wake up and smell the coffee
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrenben wrote:
[ I challenge anyone to find where this is specifically and unambiguously stated in the licence agreement (EULA). "Non-transferrable" is clearly ambiguous judging by the various responses so far Confused

Look at the first clause of the EULA.
"... permits you to use the software, provided the software is installed on only one hardware or computer device at any time ...."

The "at any time" is important. As long as you delete from one you will be able to install on another. The term "transferrable" refers to the rights and responsibilities of the EULA not the software, so it means it is not transferable between parties (buyer and seller) rather than between PDAs.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
piggedup
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Damn cust support Reply with quote

If this is support looks like I'm gonna fall!!
Got TT Nav 5 to run on an M600. Yep, I know they don't support it but it runs glitch free anyways. They issued an Activ code for it and I loaded it on with the latest version and ran it for 5 months. The phone developed a fault and it was replaced. I sent all the the documentation and they REFUSE to issue a code because they don't support the phone. I have the genuine soft ware and their mk11 bluetooth reciever and can't use them. Can they legally do this?? They even refuse to talk to me other than to tell me to lodge a complaint which can conveniently only be done by post. This is even though they issued the first code for it anyway. They have all my threads in front of them. They know who issued the first code but won't comment any further and were incredably rude and condescending. They wonder why people get on roof tops with riffles? Try giving customers some respect and treat them in the same way you would if you were facing them instead of phone or email!! I have changed my phone with Orange four times in total and have always done a a hard reset to remove any trace of tom tom software what more can I do.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read of THIS which is about the same device/ problem - Mike
wrenben
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:

Look at the first clause of the EULA.
"... permits you to use the software, provided the software is installed on only one hardware or computer device at any time ...."

The "at any time" is important. As long as you delete from one you will be able to install on another. The term "transferrable" refers to the rights and responsibilities of the EULA not the software, so it means it is not transferable between parties (buyer and seller) rather than between PDAs.

Thanks Peter, that's my understanding too. As I have said profusely to TT - I have always fully unloaded from one device before installing on another....so I am not in breach of the EULA, yet they insist on ME providing ALL evidence regarding previous devices or they won't support me any further Evil or Very Mad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: