Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Good news for GPSmart BT users
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Good news for GPSmart BT users
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Good news for GPSmart BT users Reply with quote

Although only in beta at this time the "Fortunasync" program allows you to connect to the GPS from your PC using the proprietory USB to Serial cable which incidentally uses a Prolific driver. With this app. you can upload firmware updates, waypoints, routes etc. as well as being able to set all the menu options to configure your GPS. An unpublished fact came from my tinkering though, I managed to switch the unit into SiRF mode by accident & had a problem getting it back to NMEA. I wasn't aware this unit had a SiRF mode, it's not in the specs. or advertising. I wonder if the manufacurers know Question Smile
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

90% of GPS's use the SiRF chipset, so should be switchable to SiRF.
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The specs for the GPSmart on the Fortuna website certainly mentions SiRF.

Where did you get the Fortunasync program from?

pello
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you are right, I missed that ref. completely however I was going by the manual that came with my unit & there was no mention there. Also with the advantage of a display & menu opton on the receiver itself it would have been nice to see an option to switch there, perhaps this is an item I could send them for the user wish list?
The "Fortunasyc" can be downloaded from this link.

Peter
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link!

http://www.fortuna.com.tw/Support.htm currently has firmware upgrades (dated "2004/1") for the GPSmart and GPSmart BlueTooth. However (like Fortunasync) they have Beta in their names, so I'm a bit reluctant to load them.

I can't find any mention of what's included/changed in the new firmware - sadly, the Fortuna website is not exactly the most informative in the world :-(

Anybody have any more info? Dave - do you have a contact at Fortuna who could clarify?

Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, we've tried to open communication with Fortuna but not received any responses to our emails.
bowser
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:34 am    Post subject: FortunaSync Reply with quote

Does anyone knows how to work with the FortunaSync properly? How can I download all waypoints and tracks? And upload them? All I can do is to change the GPS settings and renaming some Marks, Routes and Waypoints. I also can add a new waypoint but whenever I try to create a new mark I get an “run-time error (6) Overflow” and then FortunaSync crashes… By the way, what’s the difference between Marks and Waypoints?
gpsheppard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
An unpublished fact came from my tinkering though, I managed to switch the unit into SiRF mode by accident & had a problem getting it back to NMEA

Okay, so can anyone tell me how to reset mine back to NMEA? I'm having problems synchronising with various software, and I think this might be the problem. I have been able to establish that my GPS is currently in SiRF mode.

Thanks.[/quote]
Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just upgraded my GPSmart from 2.25 to 2.26 and am having problems connecting to my XDA2. I wonder if I am in SiRF mode?

1) How can you tell if you are in SiRF mode?
2) How do you change between SiRF and NMEA?

Philip
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to follow up my own posting, but just in case anybody is searching the archives to find out how to change the GPSmart from SiRF to NMEA (e.g., after using FortunaSync) ...

All you need to do is to remove the batteries for a few minutes and it will reset itself to NMEA.

micken
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip I am a :D xdaII user thinking of buying the Fortuna clip-on and came across this thread. What navigation software are you using and what are your thoughts on it?

I am going to France this summer and I have seen Fortuna/PrymeNav bundled for a very good price.

I might go for this and then upgrade to Co-pilot v.5 when that arrives.

Happy navigating.
gpsheppard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All you need to do is to remove the batteries for a few minutes and it will reset itself to NMEA

Laughing Out Loud that easy huh? Thx.
scatter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: GPSmart NMEA and Sirf Reply with quote

Anyone having done a firmware upgrade (e.g. 2.24UK to 2.26) should've been aware that Sirf and NMEA modes are available and can be switched. The "Sirf Demo.exe" program provides these facilities.
FortunaSync leaves the GPSmart in Sirf mode, so Sirf Demo it normally used to switch it back.
FortunaSync is still in Beta, and quite erratic (especially on input format checking ... runtime error). It does leave a memory dump file on the PC however, so with some clever program + a data-structure from this dump, the up/download facilities can be made.
The actual up/download is done through the sirfflashcl.exe program.

Currently it seems the people at Fortuna are not being very responsive, I'm not seeing any progress on their end.
DeeJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"FortunaSync is still in Beta, and quite erratic (especially on input format checking ... runtime error). It does leave a memory dump file on the PC however, so with some clever program + a data-structure from this dump, the up/download facilities can be made. "

I agree with the observations about FortunaSync crashing with input errors.

I don't think what I have done is particularly clever, and I might have misunderstood some parts of the data-structure (which is not documented by Fortuna) but I HAVE just finished the first phase of a program which is able to extract Waypoint and Trackpoint information from the READFILE.FEC memory image created by the run of SiRFflashCL that is spawned by FortunaSync. The program is a text-console application for Win32, developed under WinXP-Home, but also tested on Win2K-Pro.

The Waypoint and Trackpoint coordinates are written to a simple text file in CSV format, in a form that can be easily read by 'GPS_Utility' - see: www.gspu.co.uk.

I do not feel ready to release this code for use by others yet, but would like to have other copies of READFILE.FEC to examine. (At the moment I have a sample of 2 - my own, and the example shipped with FortunaSync.)

So, if you have installed and run FortunaSync and have a copy of READFILE.FEC containing the memory image of your own GPSmart, and would like a transcript of the Waypoints and Tracks, would you consider zipping it up and emailing it to me, as an attachment, at the email address (suitably modified) in my signature below?
In return I will send you back a copy of the CSV text file with the information that I find in the memory image. I do not intend to use the information you provide for any purpose other than refinement of my code, but if your location or movements are the least bit sensitive I suggest you do not accept this offer.

At a later stage I hope to develop the code further so that routes planned using well-known PC-based GPS applications can be encoded into a new copy of READFILE.FEC for subsequent upload back into the GSPmart - but that depends on, among other things, fully understanding the memory data structures, so may be some time yet!
DeeJay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to follow-up on myself, but the setting 'always attach my signature' seems to have been ignored! Hopefully it WILL be on this one?

e: PktGPS ["AT"] DavidRoberts.Org.UK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: