Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
The newer power leads may have partly solved this but certainly past anecdotal evidence appears to back up the low battery charge/poor TMC reception theory.

I'm not disputing this, it's just that I've not suffered the problem, probably because I had 'the new' cable from the beginning.
mabsey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swing wrote:
mabsey wrote:
if the Nuvi loosing its Traffic signal, the blue traffic indicator stays on and the 10 pages of messages still stay there so dont get fooled that the problem has gone away (Double check).
Not true, if the unit can't pick up any traffic information at all then after a while (*), all traffic will disappear, leaving just a list of roadworks. If it's picking up a traffic radio station, but not keeping connected to it to allow it to read the traffic, it will remove all traffic and go back to "Traffic Data not available", and turn the blue icon grey again.

It would be nice to have an indication that the signal is still being received like the elder GTM units has (LED on them), or within the software (like the 26xx units did - a signal strength screen). But again, like everything, once they fix the problem, it won't matter so much!

(*) I've no idea how long "a while" - probably over 15 minutes based on my limited (**) experience of this.

(**) I've experienced it many many times, but rarely whilst driving have the time to stop and play with the Garmin, so although I've regularly seen the traffic disappear to either just roadworks, or to no traffic at all, I don't know how long it takes.

Sorry, but it only takes 1 message to get through and you keep the blue icon. The traffic service is a continuous flow of data and this is my point. My messages clock up about 1 or 2 per second in the secret menu. Yes users may think they have traffic, but if they are only receiving 1 message a minute, this is still not a service. This is the point I'm trying to make. The traffic channel is a continious flow of messages and if you are getting it at a dribble, the problem is still not fixed and you would still keep the blue icone.

Mabsey
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trafficman wrote:
RDS wrote:
The newer power leads may have partly solved this but certainly past anecdotal evidence appears to back up the low battery charge/poor TMC reception theory.

I'm not disputing this, it's just that I've not suffered the problem, probably because I had 'the new' cable from the beginning.

Errr, who said you were ????
Trafficman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Trafficman wrote:
RDS wrote:

Errr, who said you were ????

No one. I was just saying that I've not suffered the same problems probably because I've had the 'newer' power cable.
mwfox
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: New power lead Reply with quote

So if people have had the 6025 (red led only) lead all along have they had no problems with traffic reception, and the people that have now received this lead instead of the other 6017 lead (red/green led) are getting good reception of traffic info (apart from in the North of the country where there seems to be another problem).

Do you get as good reception with the 6025 lead as a USB lead plugged into a laptop powering the Nuvi/GTM 12?
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My unit was supplied (in the box) with the 6025 red LED power supply and I get problems. Maybe I'm asking too much but I would like it to work as it does when connected to the PC, instant and non-stop traffic updates!
It's no good having the traffic warning triangle pop up on the screen when you're in the middle of it.
The power supply issue is without doubt one side of the coin but there's also a reception problem, if its caused by power, design or weak transmission I don't know but the sooner they come out with a fix the better.
Maybe with more people using the same power supply it will give Garmin more indication of what needs needs to be done for a permanant fix, time will tell.
lexicon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: TMC reception ooop north Reply with quote

Hi all - new on here.
Just got myself (last Friday) a 310D from Handtec - good service & price from them.
Having upgraded from a Quest, I'm well pleased with the touch screen, speed, GPS sensitivity and Bluetooth.
BUT, I'm having trouble getting decent information from the TMC receiver.
Does anybody use the M62 corridor (leeds/manchester) and what kind of traffic updates do you get (if any). I'm getting some updates around Odham/Rochdale area but once I "get over the hill" I don't see any more and the signal level drops down to 2 or less.
I wish I'd seen this forum before I spent the extra £116 on a TMC receiver that apparently won't work in this area due to poor/no signal.
I think from the description I have the later power lead (red led & choke fitted) so, at best, I think an external aerial/booster amp might be the only possible answer.
Is anyone using a GTM10 (for example) connected to the car aerial in this area and does that work OK?
Has anybody looked into fitting an external aerial to the GTM12 (bye bye warranty)?
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has gone very quiet, is everyone now happy, do you have your new shiny power leads is the traffic system now working ? are you being diverted around problems ?
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happier - I now have much more traffic than ever before (both in percentage of journey with traffic data on display, and the amount of traffic data received), however, I still suffer from periods (upto 15-20 minutes) where I get "Traffic Data not available", which implies it lost the signal even longer before that.

So, it's better, but still not right, which matches what Garmin have told me - the newer car charger does not fully fix it, and they still need to come up with a permanent solution.

To be honest, if Garmin turned round and offered me a GTM10 to replace the GTM12, I would probably accept it, but I suspect many like the portability and convenience of the GTM12 (I guess my perfect solution would be a GTM10 with the GTM11 aerials to allow me to mount it permanently in the car, but for it still to be useable in other cars).
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just returned from a trip into Kent & East Sussex and also North France (Calais Region). GTM12 worked brilliantly going down from Loughborough and diverted me anti clockwise round M25 to avoid massive delays clockwise round. Even in deepest rural East Sussex & Kent, signal worked well. No signal at all ,however, round M20 J11a around Ashford and within Channel Tunnel car parking complex. (No jokes about no signal in Tunnel please!)
No signal at all, all day in Calais area - even Traffic Icon greyed out.
On return, signal comes back on just South East of M25 again as you approach from the M20.
I'm off to Italy on Friday for a few days so I'll report back and advise if it works over there.
The more I use this combination throughout the UK and beyond I think it is simply the radio stations either sending out signals or not. It is too predictable to know where you do and don't get signals, inferring that the units are not faulty at all.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinG wrote:
The more I use this combination throughout the UK and beyond I think it is simply the radio stations either sending out signals or not. It is too predictable to know where you do and don't get signals, inferring that the units are not faulty at all.
Once you have a working combination, I think I'm inclined to agree with you. However, my own experiences show that it can take a fair bit of work to get to a working setup such that the only remaining factor is the actual radio stations themselves.

Also, in the areas where no signal is available, it is always possible the permanent Garmin fix will result in us getting a signal there too.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen on Halfords website that the Nuvi 310D is discounted to £299.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:

Presumably clearing stocks in readiness for the new Nuvi 660.

Either that or so many people were put off by the many reports of poor GTM12 TMC reception that they are sitting on loads of unsold stock clogging up store rooms.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:

I have just been on Halfords site and it still says £399 for the nuvi 310d ?
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is listed twice - search for Garmin and you should get 5 items - one is £399 with mains charger and one £299 for 310D

see http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_239687_langId_-1_CarSelectorCatalogId__CarSelectorGroupId__varient__categoryId_33962_crumb_31265-31468_parentcategoryrn_33962

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 28 of 44

Jump to: