Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs Missing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs Missing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogcan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: POIs Missing Reply with quote

After having my 750 for a few days and thinking it was a great piece of kit I tried to use it to find a Doctor whilst staying in Portsmouth so I enabled all POIs and then went to search for a Dr but the option was not there,after a couple of chats with the Navman Cus: service I have been told that Drs and Dentist POIs are not installed.I have not been through the whole list but I have a feeling there may be more missing.Not a good start.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try poidownload. Their data comes from "a freely available UK company database".

Dentists and doctors are included in the categories for which it can create POIs, and it generates a file containing almost 3,000 doctors, but it only includes the first few names beginning with each letter; e.g for those beginning with 'B' it only lists about 140, from Babajews to Balasanthiran, and for 'C' there's about 160 from Cabler to Candlish.

Could be of limited use! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is how much information is too much and how much is not enough, and of what information anyway. There are technical limitiations, followed by user variations that mean this problem cannot be solved with todays technology. I am sure all the manufacturers would love to give you everything, but if you cannot search efficently, or the data is out of date, it's worse than if it's missing. And thats assumeing it will all fit onto a device to start with.

Don't expect to compare the POI avalibilty to what you will find searching the internet. Google has buildings full of servers to store every minute detail, backed up by armies of workers (real and virtual) running around collecting the information 24/7, dishing the information out to your 1600*1200 computer monitor with a mouse and keypad. - And it's only a very small percentage of your results that will contain any useful addresses, let alone geocoded information thats good enough for a navigation system.

You have a very small box thats connected to nothing with a tiny screen and no keyboard or mouse - it does amazingly well considering.

In time, with better technology, these issues will be solved, but for today, this is the kind of limitiation that makes me hesitate to recommend anyone buys any of the current offerings. The technology is only just out of diapers, I believe that it's not quite ready for the main stream.
rogcan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: reply to robertn Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply and I understand what you are saying but if in the Enable POis menu it gives you the option to check off doctors and dentists then I expect to be able to search for them but if they are not installed then dont give me the option,your reply was very informative but I am afraid you missed the point.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: