Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Quest1 vs Quest2 vs TT Rider
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Quest1 vs Quest2 vs TT Rider

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Quest1 vs Quest2 vs TT Rider Reply with quote

So after way too much obsessive review reading I decided I needed a Quest 2, pedigree, PC routing, POI's, postcode search. Then every second post on this site recently has been a complaint about Q2 performance, redraw time, freezing etc - it's scared me right off. Aparently the Q1 doesn't have these problems, but it also lacks POI facility which for me is essential. So that leaves the TT Rider, no apparent performance issues, POI's, competively priced. Routing is via the unit which isn't ideal, but is do-able apparently, volume and earplugs may / may not be an issue too. All in it seems the option with the least number of compromises. Am I right? All / any views greatly appreciated - thanks!
elsinga
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wat a few weeks for the Zumo to arrive...

GPS V FAQ Quest FAQ
Home @ N 52"55.812', E 05"51.509'
yamkwak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend the RIDER, I just got rid of my Quest 2 and replaced it with a rider, far far better, bluetooth etc, the only facility it lacks is the ability to pre plan routes on your pc and download it to t the unit. But you can pre plan on the rider itself. :D and it is £299 from Halfords with free car mount (worth £25) at the moment.
JMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for the responses. Elsinga, the Zumo looks the absolute business, although I am not sure I can wait until the price becomes competitive. Yamkwak, I have a question if you don't mind - do you use earplugs? I have read about issues with volume on the Rider...and do you ride a sportsbike? I suspect from the choice of mounts I would have to stick it to the screen of my R1. Thanks again.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my two penn'orth on the RIDER. I use 'rhubarb & custard' earplugs and the velcro-backed speaker supplied with the RIDER. I do need to position the speaker carefully once my Arai (not the quietest brand in the world) is on my head but with the RIDER set to max I can hear the commands upto 70-80mph. I ride a Triumph Sprint ST1050 - not quite a howling R1, I know, but it makes some noise at high revs.
JMark
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tim, your penn'orth is much appreciated. My bike doesn't howl any more than your average as I've kept it standard - stealth is the name of the game I reckon - so I should expect similar success with the Rider earpiece. I would also be interested to know how you got on mounting it on the Sprint - I think i'm right in saying it has clip-ons?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend made me a bracket. It has a couple of bolts spot welded to it from underneath, onto which fits the 'barrel' that the RIDER arm mounts onto. I thought I had some pictures but can't find them. As you're the second person to ask then I might take it off the bike and take some more.
yamkwak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi yes I use earplugs but I havent experienced a problem with hearing , just position the earpiece right. From experiece you really only need to hear the instructions once you have slowed down a bit anyway! ie approaching junctions/roundabouts in towns so you should have no problems. All I can say is the Rider is so much more user friendly and you can use it to pair with your phone for handsfree use AND get traffic data/weather etc. good luck. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: