Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Advice on C510/C710 buying advice?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice on C510/C710 buying advice?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Advice on C510/C710 buying advice? Reply with quote

Could someone provide advice on the following questions? Any help would be appreciated.

I've been thinking of buying a TomTom 510 because of its software feature set but awful reviews of the car mount problems have put me off.

The Mio C510/C710 seems to offer incredible value for money and it has received very good reviews. But there are a few things I don't understand about the Mio.

Can the C510/C710 provide TMC information in the UK? I thought that TMC data in the UK was subscription only but unlike the Garmin Nuvi the Mio TMC add on doesn't seem to offer a subscription service. How does the TMC work in the UK if it does work? Does Mio offer a subscription service for the C510/C710?

I know this is a Mio forum but would anyone suggest that buying the C510/C710 over the TomTom 510 is a bad idea? I know that the Mio doesn't have quite as full a feature set as the TomTom but is the C510 a good alternative to the TomTom?

Does the C510 support SMS message delivery via bluetooth? I don't think it does.

Does the C510 support multiple via points? The online information suggests that it does but could someone confirm this?

Are the graphics comparable to TomTom?

I know that TomTom customer support has a very bad reputation. Is it true that Mitac customer support is just as bad?

For the money - under £220 in some places - the Mio C510 seems to be great value for money. Could anyone spell out a few bad points of the C510 for me?

Thanks for any help.

Gareth.
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Advice on C510/C710 buying advice? Reply with quote

Hi Retty

Welcome to the asylum.
Retty wrote:
Can the C510/C710 provide TMC information in the UK? I thought that TMC data in the UK was subscription only but unlike the Garmin Nuvi the Mio TMC add on doesn't seem to offer a subscription service. How does the TMC work in the UK if it does work? Does Mio offer a subscription service for the C510/C710?.

The 710 TMC works fine in the UK free of charge and it's built in to the unit. All you have to do is plug in the aerial. Sometimes it even works without the aerial.
The 510 however needs the TMC adaptor and aerial but I can't answer whether it works on a 510 or not.
Maybe a 510 user can clarify this point.
Retty wrote:
I know this is a Mio forum but would anyone suggest that buying the C510/C710 over the TomTom 510 is a bad idea? I know that the Mio doesn't have quite as full a feature set as the TomTom but is the C510 a good alternative to the TomTom?

IMHO buying a TT510 is the bad idea. Trust me, I've been there, done that with a TT910. The C510 is the better alternative.
Retty wrote:
Does the C510 support SMS message delivery via bluetooth? I don't think it does.

You're right, it doesn't.
But whilst we're on the subject of Bluetooth, it has to be said, the speech quality on the TT was dire unless you used the external mike (another lead). No such problems on the Mio.

Retty wrote:
Does the C510 support multiple via points? The online information suggests that it does but could someone confirm this?

Yes it does, and you can have as many as you like.

Retty wrote:
Are the graphics comparable to TomTom?

They're better.

Retty wrote:
I know that TomTom customer support has a very bad reputation. Is it true that Mitac customer support is just as bad?

Unfortunately Mitac's customer support is non existent, but so far I've been lucky enough to have all my queries (and more) answered by some of the clever people on here.
At least TT did answer their emails, eventually.

Retty wrote:
For the money - under £220 in some places - the Mio C510 seems to be great value for money. Could anyone spell out a few bad points of the C510 for me?

Haven't got a few to list but the only one I can think of is that the POI's/Favourites take a bit of getting used to but that's it.

Now all you have to work out is do you want the C510 or C710. :D
What swayed me towards the C710 was, if you add up the prices of:
Carry case
Mains charger
1GB SD card
TMC adaptor & aerial
and add that to the price of the C510 then you virtually have the price of a C710.
All of the above are not included with the C510 but are included with the C710.
You pays your money & makes your choice

Hope this clears things up for you.

CeeJay.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a C710 and am very pleased with it.
I agree with every point made by CeeJay.
If you can afford it, go for the C710 rather than the C510 because otherwise you will probably regret it later.

Sal
Peasemold
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:
I have a C710 and am very pleased with it.
I agree with every point made by CeeJay.
If you can afford it, go for the C710 rather than the C510 because otherwise you will probably regret it later.

Sal

I bought a C510E and then got a 2Gb SD card from Amazon for £14, and a soft padded case from Jessop's for about £6. I have installed all the European maps on the card and quite a few MP3s. I think the maps are amazing, with autozoom and perspective view they even enable you to anticipate bends ahead and adjust your driving accordingly. They have lots of nice features such as automatic day/night settings, and even snazzy features like showing the sun when it is low over the horizon.

I have used the vias on a long drive through Germany and the routing was spot on.

I am sort of regretting not having the TMC but at the time I didn't think I would need it. I may buy the antenna (hopefully it comes with the software) at a later date.

Peasemold
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on C510/C710 buying advice? Reply with quote

Retty wrote:

Thanks for any help.

Gareth.

Agree with most of what has been said - however, I have only had limited success with TMC (the main reason I went for the 710 over the 510). Seems to be only available from a single radio station in the UK and I am still to be convinced that this feature is viable in the UK (I travel the M25 and am yet to get a warning about traffic issues - even though I'm stationery at times).

Access to the TMC screen is clumbersome, via teh GPS settings, rather than straight from the cockpit.

I had hoped for a better "avoid" function - travelling along the M4 with the matrix signs saying road ahead closed - would have been nice to hit the cockpit display and set an avoid point.

Playing MP3 and using the navigation capabilities at the same time would be nice to have.

Using the USB to access rather than Bluetooth (at extra cost for a dongle) is a downside.

A UK female voice is not there as standard but can be uploaded thanks to the members of the forum.

As per my headmaster - good but could be better with a little effort.

Wink Wink
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on C510/C710 buying advice? Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:

Agree with most of what has been said - however, I have only had limited success with TMC (the main reason I went for the 710 over the 510). Seems to be only available from a single radio station in the UK and I am still to be convinced that this feature is viable in the UK (I travel the M25 and am yet to get a warning about traffic issues - even though I'm stationery at times).

The Mio receives the Trafficmaster data transmitted from more than 80 different FM stations around the country. Coverage isn't continuous everywhere and like any receiver it is dependent on how the aerial is arranged, but I have found it adequate in most built-up areas and motorways.

ernest_mio wrote:

Access to the TMC screen is clumbersome, via teh GPS settings, rather than straight from the cockpit.

I'm not sure that I agree with the 'cumbersome' bit. To see a listing of all traffic events needs just two screen taps, and that is useful to see potential problems before starting a journey. Whilst driving you don't need to do anything because affected roads are automatically highlighted, and you will get a verbal warning as well, with auto re-rerouting around it is you set that option.

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks CeeJay, Sallyann, Peasemold and ernest_mio - your comments are much appreciated.

The Nuvi 310/360 also looks very attractive but doesn't support multiple via points. The Mio seems to have the best combination of features for the price.

I think, after a silly amount of thinking about it, I'll go for either the C510 or the C710 - but not sure which yet! The charger, 2Gb card and soft case would be good but £110 difference between the 2 models seems to be only justified by the TMC.

I'm having a real problem understanding the Mio TMC. Could someone confirm whether or not my understanding is correct? Unlike Garmin TMC there's no subscription to Trafficmaster (or the AA service). Is the Mio TMC therefore using the very limited free TMC service available in the UK? The comments of ernest_mio suggest that it is. If so and if no subscription option is available then the TMC probably wouldn't be of much use for UK travelling. In the rest of Europe where TMC is mostly a free the service would probably be very good indeed.

Gareth.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth, as I understand it there is a one-off subscription to Trafficmaster included in the purchase price. I stand to be corrected on this, but having looked at and used the traffic information provided on the Mio I cannot see what else could be provided that would be worth a continuing subscription. It uses the information from all the Trafficmaster sensors, shows the length of holdups and the reason for them. You can list the data by type or by the distance from your present position. On the maps, the blocked road is overlaid with a heavy blue line and the type of holdup (eg accident, roadworks) is shown with an icon. If anyone gets more information by paying a subscription, please tell us what it is!

Sal
Retty
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sal.

But now I'm really confused. If the Mio provides this sort of information for UK roads then it does suggest that it is using the data from some sort of subscription service. But there's no mention of subscription on the Mitac website which only says that TMC is not free in the UK or France. The price of the TMC add on for the C510 also doesn't seem to include the cost of a subscription.

I've read posts from people who say that they can only get minimal information from Mio TMC in the UK which suggests that they are accessing the limited free service.

You receive details through TMC as to whether or not a delay is caused by an accident of another cause? Do you get traffic information on A roads as well as motorways?

These are relevant question for me when considering whether or not to go for the C710. But if the Mio does provide such a detailed TMC service it challenges everything I've previously understood about the limited UK free TMC service - although I'm probably wrong about the fact that Mio doesn't provide a subscription based TMC feed.

Still, I've concluded that despite its feature set TomTom 510/910 would be a silly buy because of fundamental design problems that render it useless. The Mio 510/710 seems to be an incredible buy - I don't understand why the mainstream reviews don't mention it more.

Gareth.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in London at the moment and the first page of my Mio traffic events (there are currently 7 pages altogether) lists the following:

Brixton - stationary traffic for 2.5 mi
Thornton Heath - s t for 2 mi.
Clapham - queuing traffic for 2 mi
Wandsworth - s t for 1.5 mi
Tower Hamlets - accident

These are all main routes through London that are monitored by Trafficmaster.
The list doesn't specify the road number, but tapping 'Show' for any event takes you straight to the map display of that location with the blocked road highlighted.

At the moment the M6 looks busy with holdups at J12 Cannock and J37 Kendal, and J7 Great Bar closed.

I don't know what else you can expect to see?

Sal
CeeJay
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Retty.
You'll just have to stop stressing about the TMC.
Take it from us, all I can say is it works very well in London, Surrey & parts of Sussex that I've been to.
And just to prove my point, Sallyann's message above came in while I was typing this.
This ain't no limited free service, this is the real deal.
I believe Sallyann is right about the one off subscription fee being included in the price of the unit. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Now, if my memory serves me correctly, the TMC adaptors for the TT's and Garmins was somewhere in the region of £60 which included the lifetime subscription.
So do the sums, buy a C510 for £212, add the price of a TMC adaptors (£60 assuming they're approx. the same price) and you have a total of £272. That's only £40 short of the £311 for the C710 and you get the mains charger, case, all of Europe maps installed on the unit (not on SD card) on top of the TMC.
No brainer really. :D
By the way, be aware that sometimes you will get to a spot and the traffic that you've been warned about will be gone.
But that's down to RAC/Trafficmaster not updating regularly enough, not the Mio.
I'm sure this will improve with time.

So, if you do take the plunge we're here to help.

CeeJay
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CeeJay wrote:
Hi Retty.
This ain't no limited free service, this is the real deal.
I believe Sallyann is right about the one off subscription fee being included in the price of the unit. I'm sure I read that somewhere.
Now, if my memory serves me correctly, the TMC adaptors for the TT's and Garmins was somewhere in the region of £60 which included the lifetime subscription.
CeeJay

Retty/Sallyann - have either of you found the manual/user guide for the TMC service - I suspect a lot of the questions would be answered if the feature was documented
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TMC instructions are in v3.2 of the user guide that was temporarily posted on the Mitac site but has been taken off again, presumably until the software update has been released.
But the TMC is so simple to operate that I never found the need to have any instructions. I agree with CJ that you are too stressed about this. The TMC works, full stop.

Sal
john88
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MioMap v3.2 User Guide is on the mio-tech.be web site; it is just shown as the MioMap v3 manual.

john
nisak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice on C510/C710 buying advice? Reply with quote

ernest_mio wrote:
Playing MP3 and using the navigation capabilities at the same time would be nice to have.
If you unlock your Mio and install winamp this is possible. You also get acsess to windows CE. It's like getting an PDA on your unit.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: