Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom 6.ive seen it in action!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom 6.ive seen it in action!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brainlag
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad I downloaded TT5 instead of rushing out and buying it like a friend of mine did. Features missing, constant crashes, horrible UI. It was nasty so I stuck with my legal copy of TT3. My friend had the same problems and crashed his car while he was rebooting his ipaq as a result. Sucker Smile

I'll probably try out TT6, and buy it if it's a worthwhile improvement over TT3 otherwise I'm sticking with what I have.

It's not "evil downloaders" that put the software companies at risk; it's the rubbish they're releasing. The availability of software to download just gives consumers the ability they've lacked before - the ability to say "No, it's crap. You're not having my money".
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as those people who are using the pirated version buy the legit version, I cannot see a problem.

Keep on copyiny . . . thats what I say . . . it may make TomTom wake up and deliver the products & services as they should be . . . on time, bug free & at a reasonable price.

Instead they are more interested in developing new product & services ie the new GO One, surely they should have sorted out their map updates & TMC receiver issues
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Which way do I go? Reply with quote

My Ipaq 3970 appears to be not compatible with TT6 as it runs windows 2002. Can I upgrade my Ipaq? Is it worth it?
All I really need is up to date maps. TT5 is ok, can I just update the maps?
I am a truck driver and I need my satnav all day every day. I don't use my Ipaq for anything else as usually if I add a program or alter something I suddenley find TT won't work, then I am screwed at work. Cannot bear the thought of going back to A-Z's. With this in mind I dare not try a copy of TT6, just in case, (or any other software).
So, what do I do?
Stick with Ipaq, if it will upgrade.
Buy a new PDA and TT6. If so how do I "try" one to see which is best?
Or, do I buy a TT unit? If so which one? How do I try these to find the best.
Or, do I buy another make of satnav. How do I know if another make is as good as TT or maybe even better.
I really do not know which way to go at present. There does not seem to be a way of trying out a product before you buy. No. I do not trust the shop assistants to tell me the facts as they usually don't know them.
I originally paid over £1000 5 years ago for my Ipaq with Navman st pro, plus £130 last year for TT navigater 5. I do not want to buy again without being able to try first.
Any suggestions?
Xman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Which way do I go? Reply with quote

stiggy_sawdust wrote:
My Ipaq 3970 appears to be not compatible with TT6 as it runs windows 2002. Can I upgrade my Ipaq? Is it worth it?
All I really need is up to date maps. TT5 is ok, can I just update the maps?

The 3970 can be upgraded to PPC 2003. For instructions please follow this link:

HERE Link Edited by Oldboy to make it easier to read Topic.;)

I upgraded my old Loox from 2002 to 2003 a good while ago... it was tricky at first but in many ways was worth it. It might not be so easy to buy the upgrade now but when there is a will... Call HP directly or try ebay to start with... The mobilitysite.com forum can also be a good place to look for 2003 reviews.

TT6 has new features but for my use it has very little difference so new maps would be really the only reason for me to upgrade. Checking a few spots I could still find errors on it but I live in London and this place is ever changing! The German TT5 map was just perfect.

TT5 maps do not work with TT6 so I guess TT6 maps will not work on TT5.

Suggest you do try to upgrade to 2003. WIth regards to TT6 the issue I think is only down to new maps. Lets see if some other people can add comments on the accuracy of the maps.
netwave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
Pocket PC 2002 devices will not be supported any more.

TTN6 no longer offers screen rotation within the program. This means you cannot use WM2003 devices in landscape mode any more.

I don't like either of these "improvements". All they do is force users to buy newer devices - or to abandon TomTom (which I would totally understand)

Dude,
if you rotate ya screen in WM2003 then start up TTN6 your have it In landscape mode!

In the past previous TT releases booted as normal, thats why they had a rotate option added, though as yer find out now its no longer needed ;)
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netwave wrote:
Dude,
if you rotate ya screen in WM2003 then start up TTN6 your have it In landscape mode!

In the past previous TT releases booted as normal, thats why they had a rotate option added, though as yer find out now its no longer needed ;)

WM2003 doesn't support screen rotation; that function was introduced with WM2003SE.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

netwave wrote:

if you rotate ya screen in WM2003

WM2003 doesn't have a screen rotate feature.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
nigelp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

only WM2003 SE lets you rotate the screen I think.
GavBrown
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
netwave wrote:

if you rotate ya screen in WM2003

WM2003 doesn't have a screen rotate feature.

There are 3rd Party display drivers that can do it under 2003.
Nyditot do one that works with Tom Tom 6: http://www.nyditot.com/Products.asp
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are others as well (Jimmy Landscape etc) but they all have a very hefty price - performance is going down substantially.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
scotch_whisky
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Which way do I go? Reply with quote

Hi,

I like "stiggy_sawdust" use my PDA exclusively for SAT NAV.

Maybe now is the time to buy a TomTom ONE as it doesn't look like we are going to be able to upgrade from V5 to V6.

The TomTom One has the SIRF III chipset and runs V6 software and maps. It is also almost bugfree which I doubt will be the case with the PDA version.

The new version can be had for around £200 although it's UK map only at this price which may be a problem for some.

I am tempted.
Henri_Flection
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
As long as those people who are using the pirated version buy the legit version, I cannot see a problem.

Keep on copyiny . . . thats what I say . . . it may make TomTom wake up and deliver the products & services as they should be . . . on time, bug free & at a reasonable price.

Instead they are more interested in developing new product & services ie the new GO One, surely they should have sorted out their map updates & TMC receiver issues

I have legit copies of TT3 and the upgrade to TT5, i downloaded and tested TT6 with a view to purchase it as i use the traffic facility every 10 minutes when driving, i have just saved myself 69 Euros by testing and consequently ditching the cracked TT6 and going back to 5.21.

When TT6 becomes TT6.1 then i may buy it if i haven't already bought Co-pilot Live
AllenJames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come you lot here can talk about installing hooky versions of TT6 and lbendlin says nothing - however, I mention it once in the medion/mitac forum and get told to stop ?
iPhone 5 (phoning)
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AllenJames wrote:
How come you lot here can talk about installing hooky versions of TT6 and lbendlin says nothing - however, I mention it once in the medion/mitac forum and get told to stop ?

there are new rules in place - in the mitac forums you can only talk about installing hooky versions of iGO.
AllenJames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud !
iPhone 5 (phoning)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: