Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Traffic - real costs?????
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Traffic - real costs?????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chauf4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daggers wrote:
jblackmore wrote
Quote:
Surely it would be a service worth not paying for ! Why would you pay for a service which requires you to provide the information for ??

My theory is that you wouldn't be knowingly providing the information. Your TomTom would automatically record where you had been for the last (say) 15 minutes and how fast you had been travelling, and would then transmit this info (anonymously) to the Traffic database at the same time as you downloaded a traffic update. The Traffic database would then use the data, and that of other TomTom users, to calculate whether there was a delay in the area.

This system allows more information to be gathered. It would ensure that the traffic data was accurate and up-to-date. It would get more and more accurate as more people signed up to the service.

At the moment traffic services get their information from cameras etc by the roadside, and from people specifically reporting problems. If there isn't a camera on a non-major road, then the chance is that nobody gets to know about a delay.

This idea is fairly good, gaining the traffic info directly from the roads and therefore getting up to the minute accurate reports.

Unfortunately there are a few flaws in this idea.

It would really only work on the motorways because anyone on an A road that decides to stop at a lay by for a bit would be giving off false reports of stationary traffic.

It would only have a chance of working, as you point out, if there where loads of people signing up to it.

Also, there would be the upload cost through your mobile phone to the tomtom traffic computer. At the moment I am on the roads 4-5 hours a day, downloading traffic reports every now and again, I don't want to be doubling my GPRS usage and incuring more costs.

Copilot V9
Android
Asus Transformer TF101
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chauf4 wrote:
This idea is fairly good, gaining the traffic info directly from the roads and therefore getting up to the minute accurate reports.

This is how iTIS collate the TMC data already though! They have hardware installed in fleets such as National Express coaches and Eddie Stobart trucks.
chauf4
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
chauf4 wrote:

This is how iTIS collate the TMC data already though! They have hardware installed in fleets such as National Express coaches and Eddie Stobart trucks.

Learn something new every day.

In a way though that just makes things more baffling on how it can be so inaccurate.

In my line of work i am traveling between gatwick and heathrow 20 times a week on the M25 and so i have a great knowledge of what the traffic conditions get like when things happen, accidents, roadworks etc...

So how come the time prediction on how long it should take you to get through the traffic problems is always way off reallity. Giving the service some credit, it always reports incidents and traffic in the right places.

Take yesterday afternoon, it was reporting 30 minutes to get from M25 J10 to J9 through the roadworks. Out of curiosty i decided not to avoid it and it took 10 minutes to get through.

Copilot V9
Android
Asus Transformer TF101
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experiences with TMC and a Garmin Nuvi were brill untill i started getting the problems that every other Garmin TMC users get, no coverage.
But when it dit work it was highly recommendable and if they get it sorted before Tom tom fetch out their antenna then i might purchase another!

TMC gets the thumbs up from me!! Laughing
n4nick
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience the TMC service is okay at best.

I have had several experiences where I have been in heavy traffic or roadworks which are not shown and others where I am warned of miles of slow moving or stopped traffic but actually the road is free flowing.

In London where there aren't really any alternative routes it's not that helpful either.

From my point of view if I can't rely on the system 100% there is no point in having it, as I will always be in two minds whether to divert or not. When travelling at speed on the motorway where this application is likely to be most useful you need up to date and reliable data, if you have to spend time thinking whether or not to divert you might miss the only logical junction for the diversion.

The theory is behind the system is great but I think it needs some fine tuning. If this happens I will definately use TMC again.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've this week got a Nokia 6233 and this is not supported however the info for a manual setup is on the TT site

http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&query=manual+connection&FID=3326

I did this for my phone (on Orange) and it worked first time.

I believe the cost on the TT site is the new reduced price.

As far as data cost are concerned obviously big mileages will be a factor as is update interval. I've a data bundle with Orange and not had a problem so far so can't really give an informed opinion on actual data costs.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chauf4 wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately there are a few flaws in this idea.

It would really only work on the motorways because anyone on an A road that decides to stop at a lay by for a bit would be giving off false reports of stationary traffic.

The software behind the system would have to take this into account somehow - probably by insisting on a minimum number of reports before showing a delay. The likelihood of everyone stopping in the same layby is minimal!

Quote:
It would only have a chance of working, as you point out, if there where loads of people signing up to it.

I suspect they are hoping to get more customers by reducing the price of the Traffic subscription. Initially the system could be used to supplement the existing sources of data, adding accuracy to the current system.

Quote:
Also, there would be the upload cost through your mobile phone to the tomtom traffic computer. At the moment I am on the roads 4-5 hours a day, downloading traffic reports every now and again, I don't want to be doubling my GPRS usage and incuring more costs.

I would only anticipate it transmitting a report at the same time as downloading current data. If the system was clever enough, it would only transmit data where it noted a delay. However this may be at odds with the first point in this post!
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People like trafficmaster & itis have been trying to tackle the problem of A roads and haven't got very far (even to the point of installing roadside boxes that read numberplates to track the progress of cars). As far as motorways go there are devices all allong the motorway for reading traffic flow - and they *still* regularly get it wrong.

TBH I think that the local radio stations should have feedback into the system (which is what I thought TMC did but apparently not). They know about the congestion in their local area a long time before the traffic systems pick it up - and can reliably tell you about A roads etc.
kevinx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyGold,

Go for it!! You're a REPtile, for Gods sake!! Wink
Seriously though, for my "three penneth" I think it's worth it, about 30£/year, plus data useage which is VERY minimal. I have a data bundle with Vodagroan, which is never exceeded.
I do a considerable amount of mileage, and it's always handy, to keep a "heads up" on traffic situations.
Granted, there are times that it may report incorrectly, but not that often.
PLUS, see a traffic delay x miles ahead still gives a bit of thinking time, then at the touch of a button you can simply avoid delays.
Take up the free months trial, and I'm sure you'll find it beneficial, generally (Report back in a month with your thoughts! Rolling Eyes
Mv710.1561(W Europe)+Traffic, N82 connection to GPRS traffic
+
tonygold
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for all advice. i will subscribe to it and give the feedback as soon as.
cheers lads
tony.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: