Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoned Garmin 2day - spoke to "Ed" - acknowledged problem with GTM 12 and that it was referred to Garmin US. Suggested I wait a few weeks before purchasing 310D. Out of stock of the suppression kit. Suggested I buy the GTM10 (not very portable!).

Phoned Garmin again - didnt get name - second bloke said problem was with heated windscreen and had been fixed for a few weeks. Denied ongoing problems with GTM 12.

Decided not to buy 310D. TT is too big, RA has a poor map and too slow to operate.
parbrook
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: is the problem power or noise? Reply with quote

I'm finding it hard to believe that the "problem" is noise/interference and fixed by a supressor.

In the car, using the auxiliary position on the ignition (no engine or ignition components running), the GTM12 does not function (no traffic signal detected).

This evening, I have tried three different chargers.
Previously, it has worked with one of these chargers, so the problem is not consistent.

If I initially power the nuvi with GTM12 from my PC, everything works, with TMC messages appearing in a few seconds.

Transferring the nuvi & GTM12 to the car before it has time to switch-off, then connecting it to any of the three chargers, and it continues to receive traffic messages.

The problem seems to be that the GTM12 does not start when powered in the car (most of the time), but once it has started (using the PC) it then continues to operate correctly from any of the three car chargers.

I don't beleive that this is behaviour can be explained by a noise or interference problem as claimed by Garmin.
RDS
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that Garmin don't appear to have any real idea, or certainly haven't announced, what the problem or solution is with the GTM12 neither it nor the 310D can really be recommended as a viable purchase at present. I would advise anyone currently considering buying one to wait until the issue is finally and totally sorted.

Also, if I hadn't already done so I'd be seeking a refund as it's clearly apparent that the TMC receiver is not 'fit for purpose' and would have effectively paid for something that doesn't work.
Then if I could afford to be without a GPS for a few months I'd be waiting to see what price the new Nuvi 600 widescreen series sells for and more importantly seeing how it performs as from initial reports it looks as if it will have a TMC receiver built in.
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would mine have worked consistantly for 5 weeks then all of a sudden stop, have others had this?

I drove to stockton on tees today from sheffield, as i got onto the A19 i got a signal and had it all the time as i turned engine off, on left off for 5 hrs then got back in van and still had signal until i drove back off the A19.

I have fitted a Ferite on the charger and on the antenna and i thought it had fixed it.

When i went back to Halfords with it they phoned Garmin who said that the newer models and chargers were more reliable and i was told to return next week for a swap.

I think i will be returning it tomorrow for a full refund.
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - Halfords said they had no problems with the 310D and GTM12 though if I bought it and it didnt work I could get a full refund.

Like Ed @ Garmin advised - wait for Garmin to fix it until considering buying.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RDS wrote:
Although the 310D is advertised as a Halfords exclusive Cotswold BMW apparently have it on sale at an online price 10% discount price of £359.10.
Wood BMW in Hook, Hampshire also sell the 310D, although they don't have any on ebay at the moment (of course, you can ring up the parts department and buy direct).
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joenowlost wrote:
...Whilst not receiving traffic updates sat in a traffic jam I can comfort myself with the knowledge that as a priority they have managed to "Remove off-road bearing line" and "Add verification step to Garmin Lock Pin entry" in the latest update!!
The biggest problem for Garmin is that the problems generally only occur in the UK - the same unit works fine in the US and all across Europe (and there are good reasons for this). It's also mainly a hardware issue, which isn't so easily solved by their software engineers.
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 310D and TMC Reply with quote

hawk74 wrote:
I
Tuned Channel: 1 to 187
CC: 12
SID: 128
LTN: 0
That's tuned into Classic GM - you need SID: 7 and LTN: 7 for Trafficmaster (if I remember the values correctly).
lola
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 310D from Cotswold BMW comes with the GTM 21 receiver (21 not 12)!

Do BMW get something special or is the Halfords version (GTM 12) better?
hawk74
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been up to Noth Yorkshire this weekend.

Got TMC from just north of Harrogate (Ral FM 106.4 FM) all through the weekend. Then lost it again just north of Harrogate. I think it was trying to lock onto to Galaxy. There seemed to be enough signal (similar to Real FM) but didn't lock.

May be the interference is an issue dependant on the frequency it is trying to lock onto.

(NB I don't have any ferrites on my unit at present)
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has this device ever worked as it should and actually routed someone around a traffic problem ?
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: nUVI 360/gtm12 Reply with quote

Hi Banjo12,

Yes it routed me off M1 North around a serious pile up between J27 & J28. It took me off at J26 and sent me along roads I'd not thought of using and put me back on at J28.
I used my phone to also check how long delay was likely to be and it said "20 minutes" so initially I was in two minds to stay on M1, but as I'd got some spare time and was eager to see if GTM12 worked I went for it. I pressed the "Avoid" button and it started the rerouting process.
I was travelling to Leeds where I work and having rejoined the M1 which took about 20 mins to divert round, I thought I hadn't saved any time at all, but regular radio traffic updates up to Leeds advised that all three Northbound lanes on the M1 were closed for over 2 hours whilst debris etc was cleared away.
So yes it does work.

I will advise though that I enter a black spot for picking up signals regularly between M1 J28/J29 and J38. I can even predict within a few feet now that signal starts and stops within the confines of the Tibshelf Service Station access Roads situate between J28/J29
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for that ColinG, anyone else had a positive outcome with the traffic system ?
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine worked consistantly for around 6 weeks. Iv travelled between Plymouth, Kent and Inverness and it has re-routed me on several occasion and on at least two very severe ones. then all of a sudden stopped working.

I returned mine to Halfords today for a full refund but i have to say i am dissapointed because when it did work it was extremely useful and if Garmin sort it then i will definatley buy another one.

In the meantime im going to sit on my money till they do sort it or until some other unit features it, apart from the sony Confused !
partnervanman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Louda wrote:
The 310D from Cotswold BMW comes with the GTM 21 receiver (21 not 12)!

Do BMW get something special or is the Halfords version (GTM 12) better?

Apparentley the GTM 21 is not compatible with the Nuvi. Only Street Pilot and Zumo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 20 of 44

Jump to: