Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI's
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugsy34uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: POI's Reply with quote

Sorry if this has already been asked, but i'm a newbie (i'm afraid).
I just got an i3, which has the 256mb sd card inserted that came with it, which i assume has the map on it.
Does it still have internal memory? and are the POI's that i can already access on the sd card or internal memory?
I want to install the speed cameras, and other POI's, and was wondering, if i could remove the sd card and then upload my new POI's and speed cameras to the internal memory via my pc with the usb cable and the uploader program, so as not risking wiping anything of the sd card.

Many thanks in advance.
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theres a sticky called 'garmin streetpilot i3 for dummies'..have a read ,theres lots of info there...
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggest you back up the card in any case.
bugsy34uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in the sticky that answers my question Sad
Desperate to get some POI's loaded up, cos the ones that are pre loaded are telling me my nearest mcdonalds etc is 16 miles away, which i know isn't true, but i dont wanna try loading POI's without the card in incase the ones that are already on it are in internal memory and not on the card and writes over them.

Crying or Very sad
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy34uk wrote:
Nothing in the sticky that answers my question Sad
Desperate to get some POI's loaded up, cos the ones that are pre loaded are telling me my nearest mcdonalds etc is 16 miles away, which i know isn't true, but i dont wanna try loading POI's without the card in incase the ones that are already on it are in internal memory and not on the card and writes over them.

Crying or Very sad

I don't think it's possible to load stuff onto unit without the card in, if it's the version that came with the card. In any case there's not enough room. You get an error message to this effect if you try to load directly to the unit with the card in.

What I did...I bought a MicroSD to SD adapter from Maplin and before I did anything I backed up the card...just in case Wink You can always copy the original data back if you botch up.

Then with the aid of my card reader I downloaded the POI's and safety cams onto the card.

You find the new POIs etc. are shown under Where to , Food Hotels and More , Custom Points then listed under the separate categories there. The original POI's (you quote McD's) are still under Where to , Food Hotels and More , Food.
bugsy34uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply Thar, i'll pick up a card reader in the morning.
i take it it's easy enough to back the data up thats on the card (never used a card reader before)
bugsy34uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another (probably stupid) question........
I read on here in another post, that someone used their digital camera that took sd cards to transfer POI's and stuff to the card instead of a card reader.
Does anyone know if i could use my samsung D900 that takes sd cards to back the card up and transfer POI's?
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bugsy34uk wrote:
Another (probably stupid) question........
I read on here in another post, that someone used their digital camera that took sd cards to transfer POI's and stuff to the card instead of a card reader.
Does anyone know if i could use my samsung D900 that takes sd cards to back the card up and transfer POI's?

If you buy a reader you'll need to make sure it will read MicroSD (not all do) or you'll still need an adapter. My adapter was a fiver.

It's dead easy to back up...just copy the files from your MicroSD and paste them into a new folder. I burned mine to CD too...just in case Wink

Can't see why you couldn't use your camera. Haven't tried as I have a reader. However, if you buy a reader you can also use it to download your photos. It's much easier than having to connect the camera to your PC and negates the need to load the camera software.
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further...presumably if using a camera to tranfer the POI's you would just point PoiLoader to your camera which should be shown as a removeable drive.
bugsy34uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried it using my samsung D900, and the software supplied with the phone dont seem to be able to pick up on the data on the memory card, so looks like i'll be buying a card reader.
Anyone know of a cheap mini sd card reader, from hight street shops, apart from maplins (doesn't seem to be one round here).
bugsy34uk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a setting on my phone this morning for usb mass storage, and changed it to that setting.
Just to let everyone know that didn't already know, you can back up your sd card and install POI's by putting your sd card in a compatible moble phone.

:D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: