Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Unveils TomTom NAVIGATOR 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Unveils TomTom NAVIGATOR 6
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: TomTom Unveils TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 Reply with quote

Its official, TomTom have revealed Navigator 6 which is their new product which integrates TomTom NAVIGATOR 5 and TomTom MOBILE 5 into one multi-platform solution.

TomTom News - Navigator 6 (for both Navigator and Mobile)
http://www.tomtom.com/news/category.php?ID=4&NID=291&Language=1&TT=3q9a4k6tt8hlqtrlmshlavpdk3

TomTom Navigator 6 post here:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=44916
SafetyEngineer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penfold

Many Thanks, you've managed to do what Tom Tom hasn't. Given me some information.

I've been trying to get my hands on TTM5 for the P910i and can't find it anywhere. I e-mailed TT four weeks ago asking where can I get it or has it been discontinued, if it has been discontinued is it being replaced? I also e-mailed them last week asking the same questions.

I hope this isn't typical of TT customer service, as I might be buying something else !!

Again Penfold Many Thanks !!
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SafetyEngineer wrote:
Penfold

Many Thanks, you've managed to do what Tom Tom hasn't. Given me some information.

I've been trying to get my hands on TTM5 for the P910i and can't find it anywhere. I e-mailed TT four weeks ago asking where can I get it or has it been discontinued, if it has been discontinued is it being replaced? I also e-mailed them last week asking the same questions.

I hope this isn't typical of TT customer service, as I might be buying something else !!

Again Penfold Many Thanks !!

I also emailed them and received no reply Rolling Eyes

The press release is a bit vague - will Tomtom Navigator 6 run on all phones that can currently run Tomtom Mobile?
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean_K wrote:
The press release is a bit vague - will Tomtom Navigator 6 run on all phones that can currently run Tomtom Mobile?

I think I just answered my own question. Someone on the My-Symbian forum said that TTN6 will NOT run on Symbian S60 or UIQ.

http://www.my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28081

Can anybody confirm this?!
kartracer
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TomTom web site now has a compatibility list up. Looks like it's not compatible with my Nokia N70! Evil or Very Mad
Have to wait now and find out about Navman Mobile Travel Assist.
Penfold
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere, wish I could remember where, that TT6 will work on S60v3 but not S60v2, now this seems a bit bizarre to me as I can't seem them provide map updates for TT5 now TT6 is almost fully out. They only list the E61 on the compatibility list see http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=260&Language=1 which does seem bizarre, I reckon they just haven't tested it fully yet and the list will grow. But it would be nice to know if this will work on the S60v2 phones. There appear to be lots of people using it on a PPC but no-one on a symbian mobile yet. Also there doesn't appear to be an upgrade option as TT state that this is a totally new product so no upgrade will be available, also the TT6 maps don't work on TT5 and vice versa.
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penfold wrote:
I read somewhere, wish I could remember where, that TT6 will work on S60v3 but not S60v2

I've read that in a few places too.

Sounds like a very foolish business strategy if it's true. The number of people with v2 phones would far outnumber the number with v3 phones, so Tomtom is essentially denying access to about 3/4 of target consumers.

If there's some technical reason why it won't run on v2 then I suppose that's fair enough, but as far as I'm aware v2 and v3 are very similar apart from increased security in v3.
Sean_K
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I just had a thought. One of the improvements of v3 over v2 is that it's difficult, if not impossible to pirate software for v3 (something to do with not being able to open the installer to modify it).

Perhaps TT is sick of piracy and can't be bothered with v2 anymore?
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just catching up with all this - I'm guessing asking the question as to when TomTom will update the compatibility list for TTN6 is akin to 'how long is a piece of string'.

It's great this forum is here, and now I know it's coming, but did anyone else get an email from TomTom? I kind of thought signing up for e-mails might mean hearing occasionally from them about such matters?!
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking on the globalpositioningsystems website, it will/might be available 'late September'...
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so let me get this straight ....

At the moment the latest build of TomTom Mobile 5 is v5.20 (something) and this works on my N70.

TTM5 will no longer be supported and Smartphones should switch to TTN6 even though it looks like TTN6 doesn't work on the N70.

If I stick with TTM5 on my N70, will future GB map releases not work for me ?? ie will future maps only work with TTN6 or are all the maps 'designed' to be usable by all versions of TomTom ?
dhevans_6
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamBrunt wrote:

If I stick with TTM5 on my N70, will future GB map releases not work for me ?? ie will future maps only work with TTN6 or are all the maps 'designed' to be usable by all versions of TomTom ?

From what I've read elsewhere, v6 maps are incompatible with ttm5.
AdamBrunt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhevans_6 wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote:

If it's true then that's very naughty of TomTom !!

And as a software developer myself also suggests bad coding. Adding new features to the front end should not mean the backend data becomes backwardly incompatible IMO

I also thought that up until now the same map file was used by all variations of TomTom. Is this not the case ??
SL33PYH34D
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamBrunt wrote:
dhevans_6 wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote:

And as a software developer myself also suggests bad coding. Adding new features to the front end should not mean the backend data becomes backwardly incompatible IMO

I also thought that up until now the same map file was used by all variations of TomTom. Is this not the case ??

If the new maps are incompatible, TomTom have probably broken compatibility on purpose for purely commercial reasons. ;)
adamf
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SL33PYH34D wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote:
dhevans_6 wrote:
AdamBrunt wrote:

If the new maps are incompatible, TomTom have probably broken compatibility on purpose for purely commercial reasons. ;)

you can update or use v605 or v632 maps with tt5 ..tt6 is crap the maps etc

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: