Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie to GPS (sorry this is so long)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie to GPS (sorry this is so long)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:21 am    Post subject: Newbie to GPS (sorry this is so long) Reply with quote

Hello everyone, Happy new year

I recently purchased a GPS package from TotalPDA, everything works perfectly on the desk at home, but I used the system in the car for the first time yesterday and while driving up the road the display on the pda just locked up. Map not moving, just a large speed figure in the center of the lower box, no eta distances or anything. This happened several times and i solved it by exiting tomtom 2 and restarting, back to normal again for about 5 mins then same thing happened. this happened a couple more times then I could not restablish blue tooth connection. Had to soft reset pda and switch off the gps receiver. switched everything back on again and was ok. Reached destination etc. Time to come home and I could not keep the gps running for more than 5 mins without display locking up, A real pain in an unfamiliar area. Eventually got home switched gps off in the end.
Anyone able to shed some light on what my problem could be, is it the pda, bluetooth or tomtom software? Had 7-8 sats at each crash.
Package bought is an Ipaq 2210, tomtom 2 Bluetooth gps, tomtom car mount(not used) bought an Arkon mount with speaker in and a long suction arm later, tomtom navigator 2 software with GB maps, checkpoint poi software and speed cam database. the crashes occured if checkpoint was running or not.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Tony
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell me what version of both TT Nav and the GPS Driver you are using? Current version is 2.24 for the application and 2.09 for the GPS Driver. You really need to be running 2.24 and at least 2.07.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree wholeheartedly with Darren's recommendation - at least Navigator 2.24 and at least GPS 2.07, noting further that unless TomTom have produced newer CDs, the Navigator program on the CD is far older than the minimum listed as compatible with the Windows Mobile for Pocket PC 2003 operating system on your iPAQ 2210. You have to install the CD version first, but you can then upgrade. Version 2.24 is the only version listed as compatible with Pocket PC 2003, and it works fine on my iPAQ 3970 that's been upgraded to Pocket PC 2003.

Unfortunate TomTom have buried the download links fairly deep in their new support site now, but if you go to http://www.tomtom.com and click support, the second and third answers shown contain the download links for Navigator 2 and GPS respectively.

GPS 2.09 is not without its problems - I suggest you read this thread and this other thread (click on the slightly smaller words; anything in that slightly smaller type is a link, though I still find it less than obvious that they are) before installing. In the first of those two threads I give you a way of installing GPS 2.09 without the TomTom Wizard component, which doesn't seem to do much good and may cause problems.

I would recommend GPS 2.07, which installs cleanly and, in most cases, works just the same as GPS 2.09 - however, I don't think there's any way to download it now.

David
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've uploaded GPSv2.07 here for anyone who wants it. We are looking at making these historical downloads available on the site but as we're snowed under at the moment it's not at the top of the list.

I've given up on 2.08 and 2.09, far too much hassle for no gain so am now using 2.07 Confused
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 6:33 am    Post subject: Thanks for the advice guys Reply with quote

So you would suspect its a software issue?
TTN2 is version 2.24.2(363) this version was on the cd that came with it.
gps is version 2.08 291/378

These would appear to be correct according to all your previous posts regarding minimum versions etc. Could it be the bluetooth dropping connection in some way causing the crash?
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:32 am    Post subject: re: gps version 2.09 Reply with quote

I looked at those threads you mention in previous posts and looked at the tomtom site. I then decided to install gps 2.09. I dont have any other apps that use bluetooth so decided to try it. What have I got to loose?
I did notice one thing after installing it, the annoying bluetooth manager screen that comes up every time tomtom navigator starts has gone. You know the one, its a pain in the b***, at least now I can plan a route without that screen coming up every 2 seconds or so.
Will try the system in the car later this week to see if its cured the crashes.
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: tried the system in car again Reply with quote

and installing gps 2.09 has not cured the crashes, the pda froze several times, the only way i could get the map moving again was to close TTN2 and restart.

At the same time I had a 3760 with rikaline 6010 gps running the same route. It uses an earlier version of TTN2 and that did not crash/freeze at all.

I dont understand what could be causing the problem. On returning home I did a hard reset and reloaded TTN2, Formatted the SD card and reloaded the maps. I will try this again now with no poi's loaded, no checkpoint etc.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon Crawford, who has done so much work on SD card problems on Dell Axims, is reporting that there's some SD card problems with iPAQ 2210/2215 setups as well.

You can take a look at his web site here (noting the bit in yellow at the very top of the first page). It would be interesting if you posted any numbers or similar that are on your SD card here in this thread.

David
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: David Reply with quote

the only thing on the Sd card is the makers name Pretec its a 128mb card and has SDC at the bottom with a small 2 in the C
Will take a look at the site you suggest though.
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: This is the reply I had from Tomtom support Reply with quote

regarding the crashes:

"Ideally the software is installed on the internal memory and the maps on internal/external memory. We are having difficulties with 'some' SD cards made in China. SD cards made in Japan or Taiwan do not seem to experience these problems with lag or freezing. To verify this possibility uninstall the maps from external memory and load a small map (16 mb) into the internal memory and then see if the lagging/freezing continues. If it does not continue your SD/CF device is suspect.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team"

So it would seem they agree it could be a card issue.
I have visited the site mentioned and emailed Jon with a possible problem with the pretec card.

Thank you for your advice, hopefully this will solve the problem. i just hope I dont have the same when I install a microdrive in the 2210.
Tony
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony, seeing the reply you had back from TomTom, when you installed TTN2, did you install it all onto the storage card, or did you install the main program to main memory, and the maps to storage card ?

If you have installed TTN2 to Storage Card, this could cause a problem and has been known to.

Another thing to check would be to goto the GPS driver and see if the dots are still travelling along.

Another thing I would suggest is if you have modified the registry to include the BT Manager pop-up fix is to change it back to what it was, as it maybe that BT Mananger is losing the connection, and trying to re-bond with the device but with the registry fix in place it may be stopping it from doing so. Not something I'm 100% sure on, but it's something that has crossed my mind recently is that sometimes you do get drops in signal via BT requiring the BT Mananger to pop-up and I'm not sure if the BT Mananger registry fix will stop this from happening and basically hang TTN2 in this fashion.
TonyCal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Tried the gps again this morning Reply with quote

with just a 16mb map loaded into memory and it was fine so can only assume the SD card is at fault. I did over 200 miles with no crashes, even went deliberatly wrong a few times, TTN2 recalculated the route with no problems.

In answer to your question Dave, TTN2 was loaded in memory only the maps were loaded to the SD card, checkpoint and .ov2 files were all on the card too. I did check the gps status after 1 of the crashes and the dots were still moving, so I would assume that the PDA was still getting a signal from the reciever, the blue light was solid on the reciever at all times.

I think the conclusion can only be the SD card, I will purchase another and try that, different make this time. I will also try a CF card to see if that causes a problem. At least I know where to look now.
Tony
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony before you try a cf card try an mmc card there little cheaper than sd i have an a1 128mb mmc runing tt2 on my 2210 with no problems
hope this helps Thumbs Up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: