Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Database inconsistencies
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Database inconsistencies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Database inconsistencies Reply with quote

I have come to realise that the “speed zoned” version of the camera files do not always contain identical camera data as the “all-in-one” file.
I use “pocketgps_uk_sc.csv” in Autoroute 2006 & the “speed zoned” version of the files in Infomap Navigator 4 on my laptop.

I updated to the new version of the file Version 4.075 17 August

Yesterday I was travelling on the A52 (Nottingham to Bingham road) on my way to Newark. I used Autoroute as my navigator; all the cameras were there, no problem.

On my return leg I used Infomap Navigator 4 & all of the cameras along that stretch had mysteriously disappeared from the map! Check for yourself!

This is not the first time I have noticed inconsistencies between the two sets of data, but I am reluctant to report them, because you don’t get any reward for it!

What’s going on?
Lowbridge-Speed Camera Data
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Database inconsistencies Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
This is not the first time I have noticed inconsistencies between the two sets of data, but I am reluctant to report them, because you don’t get any reward for it!

Why is it some people aren't prepared to do anything to help others without payment? Rolling Eyes

I would have thought an accurate database ought to be a reward in itself! Confused
Samsung Galaxy S21
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Anita. What is going on may be that too many people are like you and can't be bothered to report problems unless they get a "reward". In fact it is not strictly correct of course because you get free lifetime membership is you are the first to report a new camera.

However since all of the cameras are on all of the (same release date) databases what is more likely is that you have not set the cameras up properly in one of your applications.
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I can't help you any further unless I get a reward
Copilot for USA
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I agree with Anita. What is going on may be that too many people are like you and can't be bothered to report problems unless they get a "reward".

You have completely missed the point. The purpose of this thread was to point out that there are inconsistencies regarding different formats of the data. That’s helping you out isn’t it?
If you want to use this thread as a vehicle for slagging me off, it’s your prerogative,
It’s very easy to hide behind your computer and launch attacks.

Quote:

In fact it is not strictly correct of course because you get free lifetime membership is you are the first to report a new camera.

I pay a subscription for this service, & www.pocketgpsworld.com offer life time membership for the reporting of new cameras. I have reported cameras on numerous occasions before & have never managed to obtain lifetime membership. Now I will report errors, but with no “carrot” I will do so unenthusiastically.

Quote:

However since all of the cameras are on all of the (same release date) databases what is more likely is that you have not set the cameras up properly in one of your applications.

Before I wrote the original topic I reinstalled the data & double checked! Did you check both sets of the data before posting?

Quote:

PS I can't help you any further unless I get a reward

What help have you been?
Is making derogatory remarks what you call help?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am afraid I have not missed the point at all. The point is that you pay your subs to be a member, which includes free access to the database, a database built up by the members.

You were complaining about inconsistancies and asking other members for advice. You clearly stated that you were "reluctant" to help those same members by reporting those inconsistancies formally because you did not get a "reward" for that help (both those words are yours not mine). The deliberately facetious point of my second post was that if we all adopted that same attitude other members would also be "reluctant" to give you advice in return unless we, too, get a reward?

Its a good job that most members don't actually have the same attitude, and report errors enthusiastically whether they are rewarded or not. For that same reason with a bit of luck you will probably get an answer to your problem from somebody who has the same hardware and software as you.
Copilot for USA
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I am afraid I have not missed the point at all.

There, you missed the point again; this thread is entitled Database inconsistencies

Quote:

You were complaining about inconsistencies and asking other members for advice

Wrong again! I was reporting a FACT to the Team who compile the data-base that there are inconsistencies within different formats of the same update.
I was stating that even though I am reporting this error, I do not have much faith in gaining a lifetime membership. (The reward, get it?)

Peterc10
If you want to make a positive contribution to this thread you could look up the camera data on your machine & report if the cameras are there in your data. Instead you choose to pursue this childish tit-for-tat.
BTW Do you have lifetime membership?
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really cannot be a***d to reply in detail Smile .

Since you do not to need any advice I won't need to explain the correct procedure to report discrepancies in cameras (or new ones) so that they are logged onto the PGPSW system.

Oh and by the way my TT version of the latest database shows 5 GATSOs on the stretch of road I think you might possibly mean.

And no I don't have lifetime membership as I have never found a camera that is not on the database. But I do not begrudge those that do one little bit, in fact I would like to thank them for all for their great work, for which I am very happy to pay.

Oh ..... I have replied Smile
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets get this thread back on topic, if there is a doubt as to the data contained within the different downloads (which I somewhat doubt) perhaps you could identify exactly which databases are at fault? - do you use the all in one csv file and the speed zoned csv on the other system?

If we are offered this small amount of information someone might be willing to investigate further, for free of course Wink

There could be a number of reasons the database you have on the different devices differs in content, download dates/ times etc not forgetting the actual set-up of each unit - Mike
gangalee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Lets get this thread back on topic, if there is a doubt as to the data contained within the different downloads (which I somewhat doubt) perhaps you could identify exactly which databases are at fault? - do you use the all in one csv file and the speed zoned csv on the other system?

Correct, I have just checked the data again & the “all-in-one” csv file correctly reports 7 specs cameras on that stretch of road, which I will define as-: “A52 Radcliffe road” (between A6011 & A46) The “speed zoned csv version of this file only shows 3 cameras on that stretch of road.

Quote:

Oh and by the way my TT version of the latest database shows 5 GATSOs on the stretch of road I think you might possibly mean.

I have just converted the “speed zoned” ov2 files to navigator 4 format & lo & behold they are now showing up correctly (7 spec cameras) I think I will do it this way in the future as certain formats appear to been overlooked (in this case anyway).

There! I knew we’d get there in the end!
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gangalee wrote:
There! I knew we’d get there in the end!

We haven't got anywhere Exclamation You still haven't explained which versions of the files you are claiming are different and you still haven't given the reference numbers of the cameras Rolling Eyes

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: