Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator 6 - What to expect (?)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator 6 - What to expect (?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyguy26e
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Wasn't there also.... Reply with quote

weatheryoko wrote:

2) "Lane Assist". Basically, TT will tell you what lane you need to be in make the next turn. For example, if you're on a one way street with three lanes of traffic. You need to go straight at the next intersection, but the left two lanes force you to make a left turn. So in order to go straight, TomTom would tell you "Stay in the right lane ahead and proceed straight thru the intersection."). If this feature is added to v6, this to me would be the most beneficial (IMHO).

I thought TT5 already did this. It almost always tells us to "keep left" or "keep right" in plenty of time to get in the correct lane. We travel in a 23 foot motorhome towing a 34 foot trailer, so we are VERY interested in knowing the correct lane way ahead of the turn! We're in the USA, so could the maps be different and provide this?
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: cont.... Reply with quote

I previously had a Gramin 310D with the GTM in a few words’ The unit does not work regularly to be efficient’ so I moved to TT510 the traffic plus is good and t-mobile charge me £0.78 per 1 MB of info so its not too bad at all and I find the information quite good.

I hope thatTT have a better attempt than Garmin, there is nothing to say that TT products cant scan all frequencies and be conected to the main aerial.

Or is there?
:o
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: what ever next Reply with quote

Eldar wrote:
Darren - poor reception must be within TT's control to some extend, if the receiver+antenna are properly designed.

To a certain extent yes but the issue is ClassicFM's footprint which is weak in many areas.
weatheryoko
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I was getting "future TeleAtlas Capabilities" confused with the "new features offered in TomTom v6". Specifically, I was referring to this link:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/teleatlas-visit-aug05.php

Quote:
"The database will be enhanced to include extended signposting (turn information), lane information will be added for multilane roads, and there be Enhanced Turn View pictures based on both lane data and signposts. "
end Quote

You can also see some fo the 3-D rendering that they are developing.
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see two things (apart from new maps):

1. The ability to put the information at the TOP of the screen. On a motorcycle, you look down and this would be the first thing you see.

2. The ability to show the current speed in large letters if you are not doing route planning. There is plenty of space.....

I did relay these requests to TomTom last November but was told it may be too late for the next version.

Alan
leaskovski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
leaskovski wrote:
Im still scratching my head as to the tomtom plus rubbish for traffic updates when other software it comes free (apart from gprs costs).

Who are you referring to? TMC Data costs money, e.g. there is a licence fee to be paid. In the case of those services that deliver data via GPRS then there is a need for servers and other systems to deliver the data and hence an additional cost. Where a hardware FM receiver is used no such infrastructire is required and therefore the licence fee can be recouped in the cost of the receiver hardware as TomTom will do with the RDS-TMC receiver for the x10 range.

http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid=UK

Quote:
No more traffic jams thanks to FREE real-time traffic information (in GB)

Seems to say that it is free and the sys requirements say you need gprs to get it.

I am sure they can add some sort of info collection to TomTom so that if the vehicle is moving at an average speed significantly slower than the roads speed limit then this info can be sent up the gprs call back to their servers, then if enough reports come in for that area, then boom, update the data so that tomtom receives a traffic update. Could that work?
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I’m not picking fault with the possible changes from TT5 to TT6 but I certainly can’t see anything to get me excited.

flyguy26e said that TT5 already tells one whether to keep in the Right or Left Lane. I agree with him. Even if the voice doesn’t mention it a quick glance at the screen will show you your next change of direction and the distance to it.
And as for wanting one’s speed on the screen, well, surely one’s Speedo does that.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:

And as for wanting one’s speed on the screen, well, surely one’s Speedo does that.

On some cars the speedo is not accurate enough (10% overeading) and the speed display in TT3 was large and useful in these circumstances. In TT5 it is very small if other options are displayed and cannot be seen at a glance.
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:

I prefer and think it safer to be able to glance at just one thing, in this case the TT display. I don't find the TT5 speed too small but do have the benefit of it being very sharply defined on the 640x480 VGA screen of my Axim X51v.

The GPS speed is more accurate at steady speeds but over/under reads under braking/deceleration and acceleration to an extent dependent on the rate of speed change.

The law does permit speedos. to over read by up to 10%. My experience is that speedos. are getting more accurate. The example in my 2006 Passat is the best I've had. It reads 32 at a true 30 and 73 at a true 70 as displayed by TT5, on a level road. I'm not sure what technology the speedo uses; it has an analogue mph display and a digital kph display which shows a very accurate metric equivalent of the mph display.
elyl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just like to point out that "keep right" and "keep left" is not full lane information like the latest TeleAtlas and NavTeq mapping information can provide.
I think this is related to TomTom's annoying habit of telling you to "keep right" when it really means "don't take the next slip road to the left" (when you weren't planning on taking it anyway).
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put on some bigger tires gamichea, and you'll have it accurate!
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"keep left" and "keep right" are the same as in TTN5. What's new is the indication of the side of the street for the destination, albeit only as a pictogram (arrow), not verbally.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gamichea
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Put on some bigger tires gamichea, and you'll have it accurate!

They all get smaller as they wear Wink
Private
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The law does permit speedos. to over read by up to 10%. My experience is that speedos. are getting more accurate. "

I have it on good authority that most car manufaturers do this on purpose.
For example (and I hope my memory serves me correcty), when driving over 120 Km/hour the speedo indicates 6 km/hour more than your true speed. Apparently this makes us all drive a little slower!

I got this information from a policeman when he fined me at 198 Km/h (which in truth was only 192 km/h) Sad Sad and then confirmed it with reps of two different car manufacturers!
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yow, Private!

Running in a new oil change or something?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: