Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin POI Loader
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin POI Loader
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelAlderman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject: Does it delete or overwrite or add cameras to memory card??? Reply with quote

Hi All, have just subscribed and downloaded the July database for my I3.

I was last on here when the downloads were free and noitced that even though I updated every month some of the temp cameras that had been removed in my area were still on the database.

I am wondering if this was a database issue as PGPSW were about to go subscription or whether when you download the database it adds extra cameras each time rather than overwriting the whole files??

Hopefully when I install the database I have just downloaded my questions may be answered but perhaps someone can clarify and suggest a way of deleting all the POI's I already have loaded so I can start from scratch as if the unit were just taken out of the box??? Or just delete the temps ones. Of course this may not be necessary if all files are overwritten, help please??
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 ) So long as the file names are the same, each new version will completely overwrite the previous one, so there's no worries about duplicates etc.

2 ) If you want to remove all third-party POI files before you go any further, just delete any files with a .ov2 extension and any .bmp files with the same names from your map folder.

2 ) The reason you were getting out of date camera reports would be either that no one had reported that they had gone (did you? Wink ) or they had, but PGPSW had not gone through their "verification" process yet, where someone else has to report the same thing before they make any changes.

I think you'll find it has got quite a bit larger since you saw it last. :D
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, ignore above! All info correct for TomTom systems, but irrelevent to Garmin owners. Sorry. Embarassed
tannoyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synapse1712 wrote:
I have a C310, and I'm having trouble with the POI loader. I've got the latest software and loader versions, but when I try to copy the POI's over using the loader, I get told "There is not enough space on the GPS to store all the Points of Interest. Please reduce the number of points to send and try again."

I've tried just using the smallest file I could find (a few kb), but I get the same problem.

Any help would be appreciated.

I have also had a similar problem with a brand new streetpilot i3, I get told there isn't enough space to store the poi's. Any advice????
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tannoyman wrote:
I have also had a similar problem with a brand new streetpilot i3, I get told there isn't enough space to store the poi's. Any advice????

Do you have the version with the transflash card or the one with the inbuilt memory?

I have the transflash and had the same problem. When connecting the unit to your PC, it attempts to load to the units internal memory which doesn't have enough space for the POI's. If you have the removeable card version you need to get either a card reader suitable for microSD/transflash or a transflash to SD adapter, Maplin do a suitable one for £4.99. Run POI loader and it will ask you to specify the location which should be the removeable device and you should then be able to add POI's etc.

HTH
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add - If you have the inbuilt memory version I think you'll have to buy a separate micoSd/transflsh card.
bobtheboater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: POI loading to Transflash Reply with quote

Thar wrote:

Do you have the version with the transflash card or the one with the inbuilt memory?

I have the transflash and had the same problem. When connecting the unit to your PC, it attempts to load to the units internal memory which doesn't have enough space for the POI's. If you have the removeable card version you need to get either a card reader suitable for microSD/transflash or a transflash to SD adapter, Maplin do a suitable one for £4.99. Run POI loader and it will ask you to specify the location which should be the removeable device and you should then be able to add POI's etc.

HTH

Hi
Is this theory or have you actually done it?
I'm worried if I use POI loader to write POIs to the transflash it may corrupt the maps on the transflash - then I'm dead.
Do we know how much spare capacity there is on a 256mb transflash with UK maps loaded?
Does anyone know if its possible to copy contents of transflash to a fresh one for use as a backup?
Cheers
Bob
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can only use the original card in the i3, but you can back up the card to your pc using a card reader, then you can copy it back to the card if the data on it becomes corrupted.
Samsung Galaxy S21
Nuboid
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Speed cams???? Reply with quote

Loaded speed cam files to my i3 but only get alerts to Burger Kings and chip shops, no speed cam alerts at all.
bobtheboater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
You can only use the original card in the i3, but you can back up the card to your pc using a card reader, then you can copy it back to the card if the data on it becomes corrupted.

Thanks for that Anita, much appreciated. I think I'll go and buy myself a card reader/writer and have a play. See if I can load POIs onto the transflash.
Bob
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Speed cams???? Reply with quote

Nuboid wrote:
Loaded speed cam files to my i3 but only get alerts to Burger Kings and chip shops, no speed cam alerts at all.

Don't know why you're not getting camera alerts, but this thread may help with the alerts for other POIs: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=240464#240464
Samsung Galaxy S21
white_knight
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anita wrote:

Anita

I am puzzled. My i3 came without a transflash card (inbuilt memory). Can I use a transflah card bought from another supplier to store more POIs? What is special about the original card? Confused

Geoff
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early i3s had the maps on a card, and that card could only be used in the unit it was supplied with.

If you have one of the newer units with on-board mapping you can use any TransFlash (Micro SD) card for storing additional POIs. You will need to install POIs via a card reader, so make sure you buy a card with an adapter so it can be used in any reader that takes standard SD cards, otherwise you'll have to get a reader specifically made for these tiny cards.
Samsung Galaxy S21
dendroica
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if there is a way to convert tomtom POI files (.OV2) to .csv (or something compatible with the i3)???...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dendroica wrote:
Anyone know if there is a way to convert tomtom POI files (.OV2) to .csv (or something compatible with the i3)???...
Have a look at POIEdit available from HERE Once loaded use the Tools/ Batch Converter to do what you want - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14

Jump to: