Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Battery Life on P550
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Battery Life on P550
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richlewt
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Just got my P550, have installed TT5 on it and it seems ok. My problem is, if I leave it for a day it wont start using the red on/off button, the only way to bring it back to life is to hit the little reset button, anyone got any advice? (besides sending it back?) :P
EddyStone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have exactly the same problem with my P350.
eD
lfour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, in order to disolve the active sync problem do the following :

Go into ActiveSync on the P350/P550.
Click 'Menu' then 'Add Server Source'.
Add a bogus 1.1.1.1 as a server ... then any letter as the user/pass/domain. Then uncheck those boxes at the end.
Now go back into 'Menu', 'Schedule', and switch to 'Manual' for those options.
You can delete this server afterward from the ActiveSync 'Options' list and it will still retain the Manual setting.

Now, about the battery problems... I have deactivated the setting in the beam that says 'Receive all incoming beams' and it was fixed for 1-2 days. BUT, i have planned an appointment for monday.. And from yesterday, this appointment is show in the today screen..And , from yestarday, i have again the same battery problems...... It seems to me that whatever is running in the background ( Not nessecary a program, even an appointment that is displayed in the today screen) if f*****ng the battery.. I don't think that this is normal.. Do you ???
Viper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't normal, I think the PDA has not been tested enough before being sold, it is poorly designed and just rushed.

I have just tried your active synch manual settings out lfour and it seems to work, thank you.

I think richlewt, there is a safety thing on the PDA, that if the battery is so low it switches the power off completely, so as you don't loose data, that's if the battery was allowed to drain right down if left on standby any longer. Then the only way to activate it then is to reset it.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First of all, in order to disolve the active sync problem do the following :

Go into ActiveSync on the P350/P550.
Click 'Menu' then 'Add Server Source'.
Add a bogus 1.1.1.1 as a server ... then any letter as the user/pass/domain. Then uncheck those boxes at the end.
Now go back into 'Menu', 'Schedule', and switch to 'Manual' for those options.
You can delete this server afterward from the ActiveSync 'Options' list and it will still retain the Manual setting.
That appears to have worked. So far so good. Thanks lfour
njwc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richlewt wrote:
Hi
Just got my P550, have installed TT5 on it and it seems ok. My problem is, if I leave it for a day it wont start using the red on/off button, the only way to bring it back to life is to hit the little reset button, anyone got any advice? (besides sending it back?) :P

I also have the same problem with my P350 and am also finding the battery life poor. Apart from that I'm pleased with it and it runs TT5 with no problems at all
SilverScooby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ifor

That's fixed the "activesync coming on in the background and running the battery down" problem.

It hasn't fixed the "on button doesn't switch on from standby, you have to do a soft reset" problem. I found this solution quoted in English on what looks like a Dutch forum:

"If your unit is having problems turning on, you may want to go to Start- Settings - Today and click on the tab that says Items. You will see an option at the bottom that says "Today Timeout". If you take the checkmark out of this box, it should stop the issue from happening. You should not lose any of your information from the soft reset, or from this work around."

lets see if that fixes it!
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still thinking of getting a p550 to relace my 168 although this thread has got me worried.

Can someone tell me about the actual battery life while tunning TTN? I plan on using it a lot in walking mode so would like like to know real battery life while running TTN. I have always been disappointed with it on my 168 with it often running out in less than 2 hours. Is 4 hours on the p550 realistic?

Regards

norm
revel
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery lasts between 4 to 5 hours under constant use which is about right.
The problem seems to be when the P550 is closed down activesync is still running see the thread by ifour to solve this problem.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to go for it. I see that a lot of the regular GPS online sellers don't have the p550 in stock. I wonder if this is because of the recall for the problem with locking onto signal.

I guess there may be some sellers who are not returning their stock and will continue selling them.

Is there some way I can check whether that the one I get has this problem? How long should it normally take to lock on when first taken out of the box?

Regards

norm
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The battery lasts between 4 to 5 hours under constant use which is about right.
But not when running TT. You'll be lucky to get half that. Sad
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
But not when running TT. You'll be lucky to get half that. Sad

Is that because it's TT or is it so bad for all navi software eg Miomap?

Regards

norm
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only used TT. I've tried it walking and got a low battery warning after about 50 minutes, when I believe there was 30% power left. I've read elsewhere that TT is 'power hungry', so maybe it is a TT issue. The ambient temperature will also have an effect of course.
lfour
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goodmorning again..

I finally find out a way to resolve the battery problem..

It seems that if you haven't activate the setting that says to close the unit if no action has been made for x minutes when on battery ( this setting exist under battery settings, in the advanced tab ),closing the unit by pressing the standby button does not work correctly.. I have activate the above setting and after that, my battery works normally.. It lasts about 1 1/2 week.. I don't know if this is a MS win error or Mio problem.. Now, the only thing is that when i'm using the unit in the car, i have to use the charger everytime cause without the charger it will close automatically after 3 minutes of inactivity.. Anyway, please, anyone can try it and post the results ???

Regards..!!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It seems that if you haven't activate the setting that says to close the unit if no action has been made for x minutes when on battery
This, on mine and my sons, was the default setting.

Quote:
It lasts about 1 1/2 week
Would this be on standby after a full charge? Because Mio recommend charging weekly if the device is not used.

One thing I noticed yesterday. My battery was showing half charge when I last turned it off but on restarting the battery icon, top right, showed full charge. Add this to where it's been said the amber light should change to green when fully charged, and it doesn't, could it be there is a fault with the charge indicator and the low battery warning comes on even if the battery is still OK?

I will do a test by un-ticking the 'Turn off device if not used for 3 minutes on Battery power' and leave TT running in Demo mode to see how long before I get the warning, then ignore warning until battery goes flat.

It will mean a re-install but 'eh, I don't care. :P

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: