Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin nuvi 310D GTM12 TMC problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First post :D

I've not got a Nuvi with TMC problems, but thought I would let you know that I have the same sort of problems described in this thread on the 510D which uses the GTM21 receiver.

Purchased only last week and spend my usual week on the M5 and it spend most of it's time in "Amber" LED status which is searching for a signal (acording to Garmin's online manual).

Read this thread last night and found the same hidden diagnostics screens that others helpfully described. Not sure what the top signal strength value is on this unit, but I see 8 and lower (has peaked at 9 for fraction of a second). I also discovered that it does only go into "search mode" at level 0 - no signal at all presumably! So there's an absence of signals for 40 miles or so between Gloucester and Somerset or the receiver is not able to do it's job for whatever reason.

The problem with the GTM21 of course, is it is hardwired into the Power takeoff lead with no options to add or substitute different antennae. Could this also be a lack of power to drive the receiver or are possible the gnding issues discussed the the Nuvi and the GTM12?

So at the moment, I get good signals on the driveway (we're on a hill!) and at my destination (J11A M5)...pity I cannot get much in between!!!

A Garmin tech i spoke to yesterday afternoon seemed to be "aware" and were "working with TM on this"... no other suggestions or advice offered, and a 30minute wait to speak to them Sad
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabsey wrote:
http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=108471

If you look in the top right of the picture, that USB Adaptor is what I use to get my traffic working.

Here's what it says on that adaptor :

Car Charger
Model: CC-0103
Input: 12V - 24V
Output: DC 5.0V 850mA
E13

I left the unit plugged in for over an hour last night and it didn't get hot at all, so I'm going to continue running with the above.

Still waiting for a reply from Tech Support.

Mabsey

I have looked at this web page and cannot see the charger that you have posted, the only one I can find is a 5v 700ma, could you please check that the car charger you have given the details for is on this page ?

Thanks, banjo12
grn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on my earlier post.....

Tried various antenna arrangements in the car with no real difference to the 21's signal level ( values between 6 and 8 ) being seen.

However....aligned the in-line GTM21 receiver vertically and as close to the windshield as was possible and signal level goes up to 10-12!!! (and that was in a garage with a window at the far end).

So the wire/antenna seems to make very little difference, but placing the actual receiver as described, seems to make a marked difference.

Will have to see if on-road performance improves now.
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As some of you will know I proudly advised my Nuvi360/GTM12 works perferctly well - all the time now. Well up until this afternoon. As I approached J33 South M1 in very heavy traffic which had been correctly announced, along with about 11 pages of other info, I pushed blue icon button for other updates as I was just about stationary.
NO Blue icon and No Traffic info!! All disappeared before my eyes! I switched off unit and restarted - nothing.
When I had cleared J31 S, all came back on its own and there were some 13 pages of info showing traffic info for a radius of 100+ miles which one would expect for a Friday afternoon on the M1. I monitored performance all the way down to J23 where I live and all is well.
I can only deduce therefore that TM signal was weak between J33 & J31 and/or GTM12 aerial is not powerful enough to pick up signal in this location. I'll monitor next week and see if same thing happens again.

ColinG
JT-Mech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting the maximum signal strength from the GTM12 (aerial position and shape, ect) will probably be next on the agenda once everyone gets the thing powered up the way it should be.
Had the good fortune of being sat on top of the elevated section of the M4 for an hour or so this morning, not that the GTM said anything was wrong, until I was in it.
It was a good chance to look at the signal reading in the diagnostic screen, I would have thought that the reading would have been excellent up there but no, it was struggling to get a lock, still I will hunt down a USB power adaptor tomorrow.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if THIS web page might help with traffic information/problems.
Edit once MikeAlder to hyperlink the text, it was way to long to display correctly
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Yes great site Reply with quote

Been using this site's phone and voice activation for some time very good and you can re-route Garmin with your third hand...
grn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grn wrote:
However....aligned the in-line GTM21 receiver vertically and as close to the windshield as was possible and signal level goes up to 10-12!!! (and that was in a garage with a window at the far end).

So the wire/antenna seems to make very little difference, but placing the actual receiver as described, seems to make a marked difference.

Will have to see if on-road performance improves now.

...a run in the car still shows that with a level of 6+ the LED will still go amber and the search is on. Now I am mystified...a signal level that is readable, yet it hunts for an FM traffic provider???? Confused
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ColinG wrote:
When I had cleared J31 S, all came back on its own and there were some 13 pages of info showing traffic info for a radius of 100+ miles which one would expect for a Friday afternoon on the M1.
Whereas I was travelling North up the A1 yesterday, and lost traffic information around Peterborough, and it never came back. It also will not reappear today, even with the Nuvi plugged into a computer (although not one of the usual computers used for testing).

I note that the diagnostic screen for the battery showed an external voltage of 4.89v on the Garmin USB cable connected to a laptop so again I wonder if if it is a voltage problem, or now the Nuvi is taking too much power for charging (I see I am still on my first charging cycle, after 10 days!). Unfortunately, the only other PC that might provide enough power is in the middle of a Victorian building, where even the Sirf III chipset cannot get a signal!
Mike200447
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 310D with TMC problem - fixed Reply with quote

Having read and suffered from the same "power" issues as many people on this forum I thought I would provide you with the solution that works 100% - for me at least.
I received my Nuvi from MNC last week, very good service from the sale speople at least.
having set it all up in my A3 I too suffered from absolutely no traffic info whatsoever. I plugged the Nuvi into my laptop indoors and voila traffic info in 10 seconds or less. So I cut to the quick today and purchased a genuine Motorola charge with the mini usb plug. Plugged all the kit together once I got back home and guess what perfect TMC in the car straight away. So QED its the Garmin supplied charger thats at fault.
I have emailed MNC to tell them of this and with my expectation of receiving a £15 refund for the charger I had to buy or at least for them to secure same from Garmin support who are frustratingly not contactable.

Cheers and good luck with what is otherwise a brilliant bit of kit,

Mike
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh - once I was back home, the Nuvi has picked up traffic as normal (connected to my main PC) - hopefully it will now keep it for the next week, as I need it more than usual (travelling near to the M25 every day).

Mike - nice to know you fixed it with a Motorola charger - can you confirm which model charger it was (ie the model of the charger, not of the phone it's for), I think it might be the VC700..? Also, is the lead curly or straight, and how much cable is there - I can only just reach from my socket to my Nuvi with the Garmin USB cable...
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for a reply from Garmin about the problems that we are having, has anyone else contacted them and had a reply ?
ColinG
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Garmin Email & Telephone Support - GTM12 Reception Probl Reply with quote

Hi Banjo4,

Regrettably a resounding NO. I've given up trying. How an International Company with Garmin's undeniable pedigree and reputation for quality and technological prowess (ex GTM 12 problems) can let customers down so badly in the aftersales area defies belief.
I've held on the phone for 30,35 & 45 mins and written emails but can't get through on phone and email sent weeks ago - Nil response.
0 out of 10

ColinG
capsecum
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjo12 wrote:
I am waiting for a reply from Garmin about the problems that we are having, has anyone else contacted them and had a reply ?

Still waiting a reply Sad

"Come on Garmin" you are usually so good at customer support.
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just been to Maplin and purchased a " regulated car power adapter" it can supply 1.5 3 4.5 5 6 9 or 12 volts @ 1 amp it is on offer at the moment for £4.99 , only thing is it comes with various adapters but sadly not a miniature usb plug.

Will have a play and see how I get on, oh and by the way if you deem that your product is faulty the onus to put it right or give you a refund is with the trader that you purchased it from, in my case Halfords.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 12 of 44

Jump to: