Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Beginner’s Guide
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Beginner’s Guide
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corbett
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-m wrote:
JackieD wrote:
Thanks Graham. Thankfully, that's what I did.

Would you happen to know why CoPilot crashes when I try to open 'manage database?'

Hope you don't mind the supplementary Q.

Cheers

If you have Copilot v6 then the ov2 files can be copied directly to the copilot\save directory and they will be imported at the next startup of Copilot 6 on the ppc.

check the ALK Eu. support site or the Copilot forum on this site.

Howerver, The instructions on the Camera DB page are out of date or only for CP5.

Hopeflly the site moderators will update this soon..hint hint!!!

i did this also but i also put the.bmp picture of a camera in there but it does not seem to work and all i get on the map is a manifying glass
poulter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: HELP Reply with quote

Hi All,
I have trying for a few months to put the downloads from this site onto a TomTom One, and they do not seem to work, these are for a friend who is a cab driver. Sad
Could someone Help me with an idiot proof guide or instructions on how o do this :D
You can reply via either PM or Email, thanks in advance
Bazza
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Reply with quote

poulter wrote:
Hi All,
I have trying for a few months to put the downloads from this site onto a TomTom One, and they do not seem to work, these are for a friend who is a cab driver. Sad
Could someone Help me with an idiot proof guide or instructions on how o do this :D
Bazza
Have you followed these instructions? If so, at what point does your problem occur?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
poulter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Reply with quote

BGF wrote:
poulter wrote:
Hi All,
Bazza
Have you followed these instructions? If so, at what point does your problem occur?

Hi, thanks for coming back to me so soon, yes these are the instructions we followed, trouble Is I am not sure when the trouble starts, I have the PC and am doing this as a favour, my mate has the TomTom ONE, all I know is he lives in Gosport, stands in front of the speed camera on the front their, and nothing shows up, and he knows it works, he GF got done by it Laughing
Is there anything I should look for whern upload the files? or when we switch it back on?
Thanks
Barry
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Reply with quote

poulter wrote:
all I know is he lives in Gosport, stands in front of the speed camera on the front their, and nothing shows up,
Has Warn When Near been set up?

Change Preferences | Manage POI | Warn When Near. You will need to do it for each Camera Category that is loaded on the ONE.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: HELP Reply with quote

poulter wrote:
I have the PC and am doing this as a favour, my mate has the TomTom ONE
How are you getting the files onto the One? Have you set the "Warn when near POI" for each of the downloads?

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
jait
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry to ask this but I cannot find any reference to it from anyone else. It's been ages since I've downloaded a speed camera database and now I've found I need to subscribe to it ... now the question.

When I purchaced the TT Navigator 5 from GPS it came with the promise/offer of me being able to download the camera database for free. Is that promise/offer ended and do I need to subscribe or does this offer apply?

TIA
Terry.
jait
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed Sorry once again ... I should be asking that question to the company I purchaced it from not to this site ... very embarassed!! Embarassed
Poopscoop
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me if TomTom mobile 5 will support the speedzoned database?

Basically, can I get TomTom to also warn me if I am going over the speed limit as well as telling me a camera is near?

Thanks for your help. Smile
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Poopscoop,

Welcome to the forum! Thumbs Up

Poopscoop wrote:
Can anyone tell me if TomTom mobile 5 will support the speedzoned database?

I’m afraid that I don’t have a copy of TomTom Mobile (I don’t have any "smart" phones). TomTom Mobile should be able to support and warn of speed-zoned cameras.

Poopscoop wrote:
can I get TomTom to also warn me if I am going over the speed limit as well as telling me a camera is near?

You need the speed data imbedded in the maps themselves, which is not available on the current maps.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
thenudehamster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to leave the 'seems stoopid' hat on while I ask this, just so that not only do I get it right, but it might help a few others as well.

System is a TT GO510 with 6.11 firmware;
I have downloaded (and installed, which may have been a mistake, but it's an effective learning tool) both the consolidated .ov2 fileset and the speed separated ones, though only one set is active.

First question: do (can?) I remove (delete, move off, whatever) the pocketgps_uk _(camera-type).ov2 and .bmp files (if I want to recover the space) if I just want to use the speed separated set?
Second question (half-related): the Tom-Tom camera files have an extra file (Safety_Cam_UK_xx_TomTomOv2.ver) which the pgpsw sets don't have. Is this significant, and if I want to recover the space used by those as well, can I safely zip up and store all three of the TomTom filesets?
Third (again half-related) question: Under the 'Eanble/Disable PoI' menu option, disabling a displayed PoI set seems to have no effect unless I also disable the individual warnings one by one in the 'Manage PoI' menu item. Is this right - or am I missing something obvious?
Fourth question (this probably ought to be in another forum, but it's sort of related): I have HOME installed, but it seems that the only things it will let me install are things it has downloaded for me, even if other stuff appears to be in the 'correct' download folder. Am I doing something stupid again?

Incidentally, I noticed when scrolling through the long list of posts in this topic, that once or twice a newcomer was upbraided for shouting his (her?) message. While most of us are well aware that typing in Upper Case is considered equivalent to shouting, not everyone has that breadth of experience. Do you guys think that perhaps you might gently explain that this is the case when responding to such a post, instead of treating everyone as as being as knowledgeable as you all are? We all had to start somewhere, and I'd rather we didn't do our best to alienate newbies before they've had a chance to get to know us.

Thanks for tolerating me, anyway....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barry, quite a number of questions rolled into this one, but I will give it a go (no pun intended) Wink
If you want to just use the Speed Zoned set of files simply remove the files called:

pocketgps_uk-gatso.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso.bmp
pocketgps_uk_specs.ov2
pocketgps_uk_specs.bmp
pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2
pocketgps_uk_mobile.bmp

Note you need to leave the RedLight and Temp cameras in the folder as they are the same for both databases.

As for the TomTom supplied cameras, if you are using them leave them on the card, if not remove them, you can allways replace them if required from the back-up you have made, the back up is the single most important thing to do with your card, make sure the entire contents of the card is coppied to the PC's hard drive BEFORE deleting or modifying any files/ folder etc. (No appologies for shouting on the back-up front, its all too often considered too late - if you haven't got a full copy of your card do this immediatly).

Enable/ disable POI is a seperate function to the "Warn when near POI" so I guess what you are experiancing is correct.

The Home application will only allow installation of downloaded files it wants, you can mess with the settings to force certain add on applications to install via Home, but to be honest I use it for just the updates and little else, the pocketgps speed cameras are best installed using the traditional method of copying to the card, its easier this way to be honest.

I hope the above is of help, if I have missed off something please re-post the specific bit and we will try to explain further - Mike
jonjo777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner’s guide to the PocketGPSWorld camera database Reply with quote

hello i am a new owner of a tomtom one and downloaded speed camra software couln some one help me to unzip and put it onto my satnav
Privateer wrote:
Introduction

This is not intended as an instruction on how to use the PocketGPSWorld (PGPSW) camera database with your SatNav set-up. It is purely an explanation of the camera database, how it’s spilt up into camera types (categories) and subcategories, and the files that make up the database.

Camera types in the database

There are currently six main categories in the PGPSW camera database; some of the main categories are also subdivided into speed related sites. The main categories are:

Arrow Gatso: Fixed camera locations. I.e. mainly Gatso and Truvelo speed cameras.
Arrow Mobile: Locations where Safety Partnership camera vans and police regularly check your speed.
Arrow Redlight: Traffic light cameras
Arrow Temp: Temporary camera installations, e.g. Road works.
Arrow SPECS: Also called Section cameras. This uses digital cameras that photograph your vehicle and number plate as you pass each camera. The system then automatically calculates your average speed over the section (distance divided by time).
Arrow Continental: Locations on the continent, i.e. mainland Europe.

There is another category, which contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories at time. The category is:
Arrow Single File Version

Subcategories: speed-zoned

The categories Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS are also available as being further split into speed-zoned subcategories.

The main categories hold the full list of locations.

The subcategories have the same name as the main category but they have a suffix of the speed limit and only contain the locations that relate to a particular speed limit. NB if you want to use the subcategories then you need to load and activate all of them else you will not be warned!

Gatso: Full list of known fixed speed cameras. You can either use this or all of the following subcategories:

Gatso_20: Known fixed speed cameras in a 20 mph limit
Gatso_30: Known fixed speed cameras in a 30 mph limit
Gatso_40: Known fixed speed cameras in a 40 mph limit
Gatso_50: Known fixed speed cameras in a 40 mph limit
Gatso_60: Known fixed speed cameras in a 60 mph limit
Gatso_70: Known fixed speed cameras in a 70 mph limit
Gatso_tba: Known fixed speed cameras without a recorded speed limit.
Gatso_var: Known fixed speed cameras with a variable speed limit.

The Mobile and SPECS categories can also be split into subcategories, like the Gatso ones above. However neither Mobile nor SPECS yet has a "var" subcategory.

Which SatNav packages can use the camera database?

The PGPSW camera database was originally created for use with TomTom Navigator 1.5 for the PocketPC. Subsequent versions of TomTom Navigator for the PPC can use the database as can current versions of: TomTom Go; TomTom Mobile; and TomTom on the Palm. All TomTom products use the .OV2 version of the database.

Other SatNav packages have started to accept custom POIs. You can now use the PGPSW camera database on the current versions of NavMan, CoPilot, and Destinator products. Most, if not all, non-TomTom products use the .CSV version of the database.

Makeup of the camera database files

Each category or subcategory of the PGPSW camera database is an independent POI (Point of Interest) and may be made up of two files:

1. The actual database (compulsory for all packages):
.OV2 for TomTom, .CSV or .XLS for non-TomTom

2. The icon (.BMP) to show the camera location on the screen.
Needed for TomTom, other packages may not require it.

If you wanted to load the PGPSW camera database of UK fixed cameras in a 30 mph speed limit, then you would need the following files:

For TomTom SatNav packages
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.ov2
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.bmp

For ALK CoPilot SatNav packages
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.xls

For Navman SmartST V3 SatNav packages
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.csv

For Microsoft AutoRoute / MapPoint
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30.csv

For ease of reading, we'll no longer use the File extensions (i.e. .OV2, .CSV, or .BMP) in this documentation. Please remember that depending on your SatNav package, you will either need the .OV2 and .BMP files, or you will need the .CSV and .BMP files. Thus the above example of UK fixed cameras in a 30 mph speed limit will now be referred to as:
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30

What PGPSW camera database categories do I need?

Well it is down to personal choice and the limitations of your SatNav package. If you were to stay in the UK there are 3 levels of options:

Option 1 (single file POI)
As stated above, this category contains all of the above categories, except for the Continental one. It is for UK users who have SatNav systems that can only use a limited number of POI categories at time:

pocketgps_uk_sc

Option 2 (5 main categories)
This is just the main categories and none of the subcategories that show speed limits:

pocketgps_uk_gatso
pocketgps_uk_mobile
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs
pocketgps_uk_temp

Option 3 (24 files comprising of both main and sub categories)
If you want the above but with subcategories of the Gatso, Mobile, and SPECS databases to show speed related cameras:

pocketgps_uk_gatso_20
pocketgps_uk_gatso_30
pocketgps_uk_gatso_40
pocketgps_uk_gatso_50
pocketgps_uk_gatso_60
pocketgps_uk_gatso_70
pocketgps_uk_gatso_tba
pocketgps_uk_gatso_var
pocketgps_uk_mobile_20
pocketgps_uk_mobile_30
pocketgps_uk_mobile_40
pocketgps_uk_mobile_50
pocketgps_uk_mobile_60
pocketgps_uk_mobile_70
pocketgps_uk_mobile_tba
pocketgps_uk_redlight
pocketgps_uk_specs_20
pocketgps_uk_specs_30
pocketgps_uk_specs_40
pocketgps_uk_specs_50
pocketgps_uk_specs_60
pocketgps_uk_specs_70
pocketgps_uk_specs_tba
pocketgps_uk_temp

There are almost an endless amount of combinations of the above. Please don't forget that:

1. You can use a combination of speed-zoned sub-categories of one type with non-speed-zoned categories of another type, i.e. speed-zoned Gatso and Mobile with non-speed-zoned SPECS.

2. If you use speed-zoned sub categories use all of the sub categories (else you won’t get warnings for every site) and don't use the full category with the sub-categories (else you will get duplicate warnings).

Where do I find the PGPSW camera database?
(Edited by robbrady: Sorry, POIEdit is not currently supported - this may be just a temporary situation.)
The best way, if your set-up allows, is to use the PoiEdit program to use the PocketGPSWorld POI-Sync service. Once set up, you just connect your system to the computer and run the program to update all the categories of the camera database – and any other POIs that you use from the PocketGPSWorld POI download section.

Alternatively, you can download the zipped file and manually copy the required categories to you SatNav system. If you wish to use speed-zoned categories then you will need to look in different folders in the zip file, they are in the "speed zoned" folder and then the "gatso", "mobile", "specs" sub-folders depending on your requirements.

Miscellaneous information

The camera database was set up, in the beginning, only for fixed site cameras (e.g. Gatso, Truvelo, etc) and was originally called pocketgps_uk_sc, which is why you may see reference to the pocketgps_uk_sc file in some documentation on this website.

Some of the camera identification numbers are suffixed with the "@" sign and a number (e.g. 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70). This indicates the speed limit for that camera. NB speed limits can change, so please let us know if you find that the recorded speed limit for any camera in the PocketGPSWorld database is wrong.

Links to guides for installing the PGPSW database

All models of TomTom Go.
PocketPC running TomTom Navigator 5.

This post is a "living document" and thus will be updated as and when necessary. Links to other guides will appear in the future, i.e. guides about installing the PGPSW camera database, and using it with specific SatNav packages.

Posts in this thread may be deleted, so as to keep the thread as short as possible. However relevant suggestions or questions (and their answers) will be added to this post.
:D
    Oldboy
    Pocket GPS Moderator
    Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you also read This Post on how to Install the Files?

It's on the left of every Page, under Speed Cameras, Camera Help Guides.;)

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
    TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
    btseelan
    Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanks

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
    Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
    Page 16 of 33

Jump to: