Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin I3 - Sd Card?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin I3 - Sd Card?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zogman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just wondering if the france mapping is on the i3 card and just needs to be unlocked or whether the 'unlocking' side refers to the supposed dvd we were getting with the i3 when it was first introduced...
MikeHunter
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it arrived today....bloody fantastic!! Mines came with a card too, have uploaded the camera database with no problems.

Only thing I'm trying to figure out is how to make something I've added as a POI a favourite?!! Anyone?
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zogman wrote:
just wondering if the france mapping is on the i3 card and just needs to be unlocked or whether the 'unlocking' side refers to the supposed dvd we were getting with the i3 when it was first introduced...

Would make sense that you "unlock" maps already on the card. If I don't figure it out I'll email Garmin and post back.

Is only northern France available when it's shipped?
fuel925
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Mine came with a 256Mb tiny card... Reply with quote

Thar wrote:
zogman wrote:
gallanwood wrote:
£99 inc delivery from the Comet web site.. but none left today.
Downloading the safety camera POIs was a doddle.
You can download maps of France free when you register too.
Check my blog entry

what do you mean by 'download maps of france for free?'

Glad you asked that. I was going to post myself. Embarassed

I decided to register mine bought a couple of weeks ago after seeing this post yesterday. I set up an account with myGarmin and under the heading myGarmin™ Services had this option - "MapSource® Unlock - Unlock your cartography mapping product". If I clicked on the heading I got MapSource® Product -Please select a Unit to proceed - StreetPilot i3, France
City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 - Region 2 (Fra). If I click on the link I go through to another page that tells me I've unlocked the region but I don't know where to go from there. I can't click on the New Customer option as it isn't available? The page does say "Done but with errors on page." I don't know if this is the reason?

Help! Confused I have a Tinypic link to the page if it's any use.

I did this same thing, but it only listed UK/IRE, and nothing to do with France Sad It says i've unlocked UK/IRE, what does this mean? Confused
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm...should you not already have that anyway or is it only some of Ireland it comes with? Confused This is getting silly.

Basically I have been told that although I have unlocked France, as I don't have the Mapsource software I will need to purchase Metroguide available from Ebay for around £40 8O

When I get some time I'll compose an email to Garmin and see what they say.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No point buying metroguide Europe as this doesn't need an unlock code anyway. Its not designed of GPS use, just for a PC and enables yoo to download waypoints(favourites). There is a cheat out that enables you to load it to the GPS but that can be done without an unlock code (search forum for 'metroguide'.

In short the code is useless and is more than likely just an Garmin Error!

sorry to confuse you even further
Thar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Beerbellybill999. Oh well...not like it cost me anything. Still well chuffed with the i3. Won't lose anymore sleep over this Laughing

Sorry to have hijacked your post OP. Embarassed
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beerbellybill999 wrote:
No point buying metroguide Europe as this doesn't need an unlock code anyway. Its not designed of GPS use, just for a PC and enables yoo to download waypoints(favourites). There is a cheat out that enables you to load it to the GPS but that can be done without an unlock code (search forum for 'metroguide'.

Could you clarify the above.

Garmin clearly states that MetroGuide is designed for 10 different GPS units that do not have automatic routing!
Quote:
This disk offers similar coverage as City Select, including points of interest. MetroGuide North America and Europe provide automatic route calculation for select products on the PC, while MetroGuide Canada offers autorouting on both the PC and compatible Garmin units. The main difference is its compatibility with Garmin units that do not have automatic route capability

There is a need to buy software to view on Mapsource so that you can:-
1-plan a route
2-view your tracks
3-and load additional maps to additional cards

MetroGuide is the cheapest option!

What I cannot find is the way to install MapSource without a CD/DVD containing mapping software, or POI and Trip manager.

Buying these units without Mapsource and full European mapping is reducing the use/value of the GPS unit by 50%.
Beerbellybill999
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Beerbellybill999 wrote:

Could you clarify the above.

Garmin clearly states that MetroGuide is designed for 10 different GPS units that do not have automatic routing!
Quote:
This disk offers similar coverage as City Select, including points of interest. MetroGuide North America and Europe provide automatic route calculation for select products on the PC, while MetroGuide Canada offers autorouting on both the PC and compatible Garmin units. The main difference is its compatibility with Garmin units that do not have automatic route capability

There is a need to buy software to view on Mapsource so that you can:-
1-plan a route
2-view your tracks
3-and load additional maps to additional cards

MetroGuide is the cheapest option!

What I cannot find is the way to install MapSource without a CD/DVD containing mapping software, or POI and Trip manager.

Buying these units without Mapsource and full European mapping is reducing the use/value of the GPS unit by 50%.

All i am saying is that the unlock code is Useless, not the Mapsource Program. Yes he will get the Mapsouce loader with Mapsource but that won't help him with the unlock code as he doesn't have the original Disk with France on it so won't be able to tranfer it with Mapsouce.

Thar has an i3 and doesn't have the capablities to transfer routes in any event. All he can use mapsource for without buying additioanl maps is to transfer Waypoints. Metroguide can't be tranfered to the gps direct. It can be done with the utility Metrowizz

There is a way to load mapsource without having the original CD. You have to hack the registry to con Mapsource that a copy is already loaded. It will than isntall the dowloaded version.
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: navigator v8 Reply with quote

I have the full European mapping software DVD and a friend is going shopping next weekend in France.

She has a 300 and i have the 310D

If i copy the France map on to a SD disk will it work for her?
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: navigator v8 Reply with quote

wilburforce wrote:
I have the full European mapping software DVD and ............

What software is it?
CityNavigator/CitySelect or MetroGuide?
wilburforce
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: software Reply with quote

I have Navigator Europe NT v8.

It works perfectly select area and downloads to sd in minutes then make your route.
missing_user

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same software and two units.
The units have to be unlocked individually [there are two unlock codes available for each DVD]
After you use your two unlock codes, further 'unlocking' of units will cost approx. £80 for two codes.

Therefore, it would be easier and cheaper to exchange your unit with your friend just for the trip to France.
You may need your second 'unlock code' at a later date.
SpeedJim
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've just read this forum and I don't know if I have a special one but I bought an I3 today, the last in the shop at Comet. It comes with a card, and if I go to settings and MapSoure it says City Navigator Europe NT+ v8. so I don't know if the newer ones come with the european maps on which by the way is France, Norway, Belgium, UK and Ireland, and The Netherlands Or if mine is a mistake, or what, but I'm happy cause I'm off to France on Thursday, so may be these issues people are having with upgrading the product should be looked into further.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to view the space used on the microSD, it would be useful to know how much is left?

Thanks
bumpkin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpeedJim wrote:
Well I've just read this forum and I don't know if I have a special one but I bought an I3 today, the last in the shop at Comet. It comes with a card, and if I go to settings and MapSoure it says City Navigator Europe NT+ v8. so I don't know if the newer ones come with the european maps on which by the way is France, Norway, Belgium, UK and Ireland, and The Netherlands Or if mine is a mistake, or what, but I'm happy cause I'm off to France on Thursday, so may be these issues people are having with upgrading the product should be looked into further.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to view the space used on the microSD, it would be useful to know how much is left?

Thanks

You'll run off the edge of the World and onto the base map once you get 30-50 miles from the Northern coast of France I'm afraid.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: