Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How do I get a Rikaline GPS-6021-X6 CF working
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I get a Rikaline GPS-6021-X6 CF working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
graphic-solutions
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: How do I get a Rikaline GPS-6021-X6 CF working Reply with quote

I have been trying to get a Rikaline GPS-6021-X6 CF card to work on my Dell Axim X5 pda with on joy.
The Axim is a 400 MHz running Tomtom 2 with the full UK maps on a 256 integral brand SD card. On first installing the Rikaline GPS-6021-X6 CF it would trigger a dialog box to popup on the Axim stating that a modem had been found and I had to used the "Dismiss " option to clear it. This happened a couple of time and then did not show again. Basically I have tried all the options in the GPS setup but at no time did I get any sat fixes, mainly lockups on the pda. On contacting the supplier of the Rikaline GPS-6021-X6 I was told to use the selection Tomtom gps as the receiver and Leadtek as the comport in the gps setup menu within Tomtom. At least the green led on the receiver stayed on with these setting but that was the sum of it. Am I being thick here or is there a problem with the receiver or setup ?? Yes I am new to the PDA GPS scene. HELP !!

Regards
Paul
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, you need to contact Rikaline, or the shop you purchased this from, as the early firmware versions didn't work all that well, and also had same problems with WM2003 having the same effect on the HP iPAQ 2210.
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just managed to get this exact combination set up for a friend using the Rikaline 6010 as the receiver type and Leadtek as the com source? NMEA 0183v2 4800 also worked. Selecting Sirf 4800 kind of worked but it was always about 100m out on the road. NMEA or 6010 spot on.
Dooby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

Did your friend have the same modem/dismiss messages as Paul's did? I am having exactly the same problems with mine. I have tried the NMEA 4800/Leadtek settings, the Rikaline 6010/Leadtek settings and pretty much all the others - no joy.
graphic-solutions
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dooby and all
I’m now a happy bunny !!
A replacement Rikaline 6021 arrived this morning.
I eagerly pushed it into the CF slot on my Axim X5 and BINGO !!, within 15-20 seconds the Axim chirruped and it had a sat fix on the GPS settings :- Tom Tom Navigator GPS in the top box and Leadtek GPS9534 in the bottom box. So off to the car for a test. Sod it, Tomtom was as slow as hell. 5 minutes to input an address and it was telling me about junctions and turns 30 or 40 seconds after I had reached them. At this point I tried different combinations of settings in the GPS screen and unchecked anything likely within Tomtom that might slow it down. Still the same.
As I bought the Axim mainly for use a navigation system, so my next thought was that something on the Axim outside of Tomtom was causing the problem. After backing up my vital data I plumped for a hard reset and to start with just Tomtom on the Axim. I had originally loaded the full UK maps on a 256 Mb Sd card which I did not delete, but as I have a spare 128Mb SD card I did a fresh load of the UK maps onto this just to make sure. After the new install I popped in the 6021 card and it came up with the “new modem found “ message again “, heart sunk but I carried on. On entering the GPS setup and going for the Tom Tom Navigator GPS in the top box and Leadtek GPS9534 in the bottom box again it found a fix in no time. The walk out to the car was promising as I recorded a speed of 3 mph and the long and lat changed by the second. Inputting an address was now seconds. Anyway to cut a long story short, it’s now doing what it should do and even using the maps on the 256 Mb SD card are working ok. Next task is to load back on programs and data a bit at a time and see if anything slows it up again.
I bought the Rikaline 6021 CF card from nex gensales ( pdamods.com ) on eBay.
I’m more than happy with their service. They offered setup advice answered emails and when I sent the duff 6021 back, they sent out a replacement by return of post by special delivery as they said they would.
As I type this, I’m 10 foot away from the window and it’s seeing 8 sats.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "new modem found" pop-up is a Pocket PC 2003 thing - it seems to assume that if you insert a CompactFlash card that looks to the OS like it's a serial port, that it's a modem. My Haicom HI-303MMF did exactly the same when inserted (in an adapter) into my iPAQ 3970's PC Card slot on the expansion pack.

The pop-up disappeared when I set up some Bluetooth dial-up connections on my iPAQ 3970 - but in any case it is purely cosmetic. If you don't use dial-up, I suspect setting up a totally bogus dial-up connection will make the pop-up disappear if you're really bothered.

Your 256MB SD card - if the performance is doubtful, post the markings on the back. Sandisk SD cards, particularly older examples thereof, can have performance issues and be rather badly behaved in an Axim X5 - though fragmented map files also hurt performance.

Many brands are relabelled Sandisk; if you post any markings on the back of the card, I will probably be able to interpret them for you.

For more information about SD card issues (hopefully not too scary), look at this website.

David
graphic-solutions
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave
The 256Mb SD card is an integral brand and the letters and numbers on the rear are :- AR0306LR and CHINA, the 128 Mb SD card is unbranded with a picture of a red butterfly on the front and nothing on the rear.
The 256Mb card seems to perform ok, but I'm sure it took a lot longer to load on the UK maps than the 128Mb card did.

Paul
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 256MB code you post is an old style Sandisk code (look at the penultimate letter, you have an L; new style Sandisk, which are better but supposedly still not trouble free, have an N there) - I suggest you read Jon's web site I gave the link for. Actually, I'm rather surprised that card is working at all in an Axim X5 - they normally corrupt these cards.

Even if you're not getting any corruption, such cards do, unfortunately, tend to be rather slow - the only option is to replace it with another brand if you want faster performance. SimpleTech (ebuyer.com usually have them at a reasonable price) comes particularly recommended by Jon and others who did the research for the SD problems web site. I've got a 256MB card which isn't branded SimpleTech but is one of the the two types you can get branded SimpleTech and it flies on my iPAQ 3970 (Pocket PC 2003, ROM 4.00.08).

An alternative is Panasonic (from empiredirect.co.uk). SimpleTech cards can actually be rebranded Panasonic.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have added Jon's site to a new links section called Storage Card Performance

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Web_Links&l_op=viewlink&cid=38
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must say my 512mb SD cards work extremely well which are Integrals, and they are BP3DD002145 and BP3DD002116 (don't seem to be covered on Jon's list), but both are made in Japan which I guess seems to be the deciding factor of cards that work well.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jon uses n for a letter and 9 for a number - so he'd class that as nn9nn999999. There's several entries in his table like that - though it's typoed at the top of the page.

See here for the list. I'm sure he'd be grateful if you submitted details of your cards to him, Dave, just to make the list more comprehensive - though, as you say, the "Made in Japan" cards all seem to work well.

David
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I only read the top codes, and that's what put me off because none of mine matched up. Obviously a typo when you start searching the page. I've submitted them to Jon, and provided a little more info that he wanted.
Landcare
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Paul

Also purchased a Rikaline 6021 X6 & 'Butterfly' 128SD card from nex_gensales on ebay. Having wasted hours trying all options I could not get the GPS to talk to my HP2210. Also could not write the TomTom maps to the SD card. Both items are on their way back.
Maybe there is a duff batch of these units going out - or maybe they sent me yours!

Pete
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first couple of factory runs on the X6 cards did have problems with Windows Mobile 2003 where they would be detected as a modem and would then either hang the Pocket PC, or just not initiate the card any further. If you are experiencing problems with these, you can either return them to the dealer/seller or try talking to Rikaline UK who will probably offer you a flash updated ROM but it will mean sending it back to Rikaline UK.
chris.hevey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dooby,

No it didn't detect it as a modem - after reading above, I suspect this is because this unit has a later edition of the firmware in either or both the AXIM ir the Rikaline?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: